Big Monsters sundering magical weapons

Hey,

So I'm running Savage Tide and a question came up in game: whether monsters could sunder magical weapons with natural attacks (IE, bite). In this case, the weapon was a +1 composite longbow.

The DMG says on the first line of page 222 something to the effect that magical weapons of equivalent pluses are required to sunder other magical weapons. Does this mean , for example, that a huge dragon or a TRex's bite attack can't sunder a +1 bow? That seems kindof wierd to me.

To complicate matters, I generally use the SRD for rules reference in play, and we couldn't find this rule in there at all.

What is the latest on Sunder?

Thanks,
Ken

ValhallaGH

Explorer
Did you check the errata? It's probably a typo from 3.0 (when that was the case).
For future reference, the SRD is the most up-to-date rules.

A T Rex can sunder a +1 bow. He just has to overcome it's 7 hardness and 15 hp. (Really, really simple for T Rex, asuming the AoO misses.)
Sunder

Good luck.

Thanks!

The errata has this paragraph:

Hardness and Hit Points
Dungeon Master’s Guide, page 222
Problem: The first paragraph is not consistent with similar
information for shields on page 217.
Solution: Delete the first sentence after the boldface header.
Change the next sentence to read as follows:
Each +1 of enhancement bonus adds 2 to a weapon’s or
shield’s hardness and +10 to its hit points.

That would seem to resolve the issue!

Ken

Runestar

First Post
Did you check the errata? It's probably a typo from 3.0 (when that was the case).
For future reference, the SRD is the most up-to-date rules.

A T Rex can sunder a +1 bow. He just has to overcome it's 7 hardness and 15 hp. (Really, really simple for T Rex, asuming the AoO misses.)
Sunder

Good luck.

Given the T-rex's reach, it is unlikely the PC can retaliate on the AoO anyways. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases