John Eric Holmes - RIP

grodog

Hero
I received a note this evening from JEH's wife, who advised that he passed away back on 20 March, due to another stroke. I'll pass along an obit link and such as soon as I have any further information.

JEH co-wrote “Lovecraftian Mythos in D&D” article (in THE DRAGON #12, February 1978), with Rob Kuntz, which first brought the HPL's monsters to RPGs.
A bibliography of his games and fictions writing appears on Dragonsfoot at
Dragonsfoot • View topic - J. Eric Holmes Bibliography - latest revision

He will be missed :(

BOZ

Creature Cataloguer
Thanks, Allan.

Some random on Wikipedia asserted in March, with no further information, that the man had died. I reverted the change, because no one could corroborate that. I'm inclined to believe you, however. I tried to find more evidence on the web about what happened, but there was nothing substantial to be found, anywhere. Please let us know when/if there will be any further information. Thanks.

ghul

Explorer
R.I.P.

His work has had a profound impact on me, and served as my introduction to this hobby. I'll forever cherish his contributions to D&D. Just yesterday I was again perusing the pages of my Holmes book for all the unique little gems within. And, just today, a mere hour ago, he was on my short list of authors whose work I sought as I searched the shelves of my favorite used book store.

--Jeff Talanian

darjr

I crit!
I remember my very first glimpse of D&D. Some kids were playing this cool thing at winter recess. I only got a glimpse of it and I had to find out more. I wondered about it for years. Decades later I discovered a copy of the Holmes set and upon opening it for the first time, I was taken right back to that moment, this is what they had, this set is what I saw.

Remove ads