Tale of the Crystal Princess. An Arcana Evolved Game. OOC

Shayuri

First Post
Don't forget, also, the juicy casting-style feats that allow you to customise your spell lists, like Elemental Mage, etc.

--

Sadly, most of these require lots of Intelligence.

One thing about Arcana Evolved, it's hard to find a class that fits the 'natural magic' theme as well as sorcery in 3.5 (or even better, Pathfinder). Witch isn't bad, and comes close...I dunno why they're based on Wisdom.

Ah well. Moan moan. I'll find something that works and is cool.

Gunmage. Hm. Of course, Tiny pistols wouldn't do much damage.

Are there stats for guns somewhere I could look at?

Last edited:

Herobizkit

Adventurer
@Shayuri - There are several flavors of Witch... metal or wind might be more to your liking. Tiny everything does little damage, but as a Mage Blade or Gun Mage, you'd have access to Simple spells.

... or you could be an Akashic. They're the skill monkeys, I think. And I don't think you'd be trampling on my toes if you went Life Witch, though we would be very similar.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Don't forget, also, the juicy casting-style feats that allow you to customise your spell lists, like Elemental Mage, etc.

--

Sadly, most of these require lots of Intelligence.

One thing about Arcana Evolved, it's hard to find a class that fits the 'natural magic' theme as well as sorcery in 3.5 (or even better, Pathfinder). Witch isn't bad, and comes close...I dunno why they're based on Wisdom.

Ah well. Moan moan. I'll find something that works and is cool.

Gunmage. Hm. Of course, Tiny pistols wouldn't do much damage.

Are there stats for guns somewhere I could look at?

I use these rules, divide the cost by 5 for this particular setting. (Edit: looking at the stats, a tiny dragon pistol would still do 1d8 damage. I have to admit, there's something rather cool about the thought of a gunslinging fairy. "Don't. Call. Me. Tinkerbell!" *Blam!* *Blam!*)

If a spryte wants to cause a lot of damage then spell-slinging gunship is probably the most effective way to go (although somebody did once create a viable spryte warmain). However, tiny size, flight and invisibility makes them excellent scouts, and akashic can work well with this.

Of the spell access/template feats, it's only really Psion that requires high Int. Elemental Mage, Energy Mage, War Mage, Blessed Mage, Cursed Mage, Hunter Mage all just require a Truename, Peaceful Mage needs Wis 13. Modify Magic is a potent feat as well (all the 3.5 metamagic feats in one), Brandish Magical Might is very useful, although it needs a 17 in your casting stat. You get the Faen template at 3rd level spryte, and higher level witches get free tempalte use too (although may be out the scope of this game).

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
*has flashbacks from the movie Kick-Ass*

Now the question is...would having a psycho little gunbunny sprite be funny, derivative, or all of the above? Hee hee.

Good point about the scouting though, Simon... I admit, my original idea was to make this character a "gunship," using Greenfire as a main gun. Albeit one that only works three or four times per day.

Praps I need to revise that concept.

grufflehead

First Post
Great minds and all that... I was looking at taking Modify Spell, Brandish Magical Might and at least one of the spell templates for the Professor.

Dr Simon

Explorer
Now the question is...would having a psycho little gunbunny sprite be funny, derivative, or all of the above? Hee hee.

Probably both.

And because I've been reading Damon Runyon recently:

"So there I am, putting myself on the outside of some gefilltre fish, which is an especially fine dish, when I see that Cicely Mary Barker doll walk into the joint. Now I hear she’s been putting it about that I like to go dancing around amongst the flowers, which is not a particularly good reputation to be having in this man’s town, so naturally I am not having the best of feelings towards this particular doll and I get out the old equalizer and I give her a bit of the old lead pixie dust, bam, right between the eyes."

Shayuri

First Post
You know what would be cool? Maybe not for THIS game, but I could see it in other settings... A warforged Gunmage. Combat android, and model the 'spells' as magitechnological gizmos wired into its body. Maybe even the 'bonded firearm' could be something that fits on its forearm.

Hee hee.

That said, a spryte gunmage is starting to feel better, the more I think about it. I like how it plays against type a bit...even if it does spread the character's 'role' out between scout and blaster, which makes being exceptional harder...

Especially with the lynx being a good scout too, I imagine. But that could make sense!

I could see them making a weird partnership, with the sprite being the 'muscle' and the talking cat being the support caster and healer.

I'm kind of liking this.

Then there's still PLENTY of room for a melee monster, if WD likes, since I'd basically be an 'archer.' Ranged combatant.

Herobizkit

Adventurer
It's true - I have plans to make my Lynx a "ranger"/scout with creative use of magic. Also good call on the support caster. :)

I'm disadvantaged in that I currently own only the Arcana Unearthed supplement. I may invest in the AE pdf or hardcover sometime next week.

Remove ads