Please help review my firsrt character build

DwarvenMongoose

First Post
Ok, so we finally decided to give 4e a try.
We are starting by only allowing PHB1+2, and nothing else (No power books, no Adventurer's Vault, no PHB3) for our first campaign, in order to get a good grasp on the system before going wild with options.

Here what I came with - remember this is my fisrt build, so all comments are more than welcome.

Burin Stonechewer
Male Dwarf Fighter (Barbarian multiclass)
Ability Scores: Str 18, Con 15, Dex 10, Int 10, Wis 15, Cha 8
HP: 30; Bloodied: 15; Surges: 11 (7 HP)
Gear: Scale Armor, Standard adventurer's kit, Warhammer, Javelin (x3), Heavy Shield.

Cleave
Tide of Iron
Spinning Sweep
Comeback Strike
Dwarven weapon training
Train Athletics
Train Endurance
Train Heal
Background +2 to Perception
Bondless Endurance
Berserker's Fury
Train Perception
Sweeping Blow
Shield Push
+1 Wisdom
+1 Constitution
Rain of Steel
Battle Awareness
Weapon Expertise
Come and Get It
Thoughness
+1 Strenght
+1 Constitution
Thicket of Blades
Last Ditch Evasion
Adept Power
Retrain Thougness for Acolyte Power
Swap Thicket of Blades for Oak Hammer Rage (Barbarian 9)
Swap Last Ditch Evasion for Wellspring of Renewal (Barbarian 10)
Frontline Surge
Hammer Rythm
+1 to all
Iron Vanguard Paragon Path
Enduring Warrior
Trample The Fallen
Inexorable Shift
Iron Will
Swap Spinning Sweep for Anvil of doom
-Retrain Iron Will for Novice power
Swap Anvil of Doom for Storm of Blades (Barbarian 13)
Iron Will
+1 Strenght
+1 Constitution
Swap Comeback Strike for Unyielding Avalanche
Thicket of Blades
Dwarven Durability
Trample the Fallen
Warrior's Challenge
Thougness
+1 Strenght
+1 Constitution
Swap Rain of Steel for Strike of the Watchfull Guard.
Indomitable Strenght
Combat Reflexes
Divine Spark
Retrain DWT for Weapon Focus (Hammer).
Primal Ressurgence
+1 to all
Epic Destiny: Demigod
+2 Strenght
+2 Constitution
Iron Warrior
Robust Defenses
Swap Come and Get it with Warrior's Urging
Divine Recovery
Bludgeon Mastery
+1 Strenght
+1 Constitution
Keep power ???
Divine Regeneration
Triumphant Attack
Swap Anvil of Doom for Cruel Reaper
Swap Storm of Blade for Hurricane of Blade (Barbarian 27)
Reserve Manoeuve?
+1 Strenght
+1 Constitution
Swap inexorable shift for Come and Get it or storm of blade?
Force the Battle
Divine Miracle
Powerfull Charge

I hope I didn't make any mistake in the multiclass and power swaps area. Do you think this build would be viable? Any idea to improve it?
Thanks a lot!

On Puget Sound

First Post
It's good to plan ahead, but I think you may be overdoing it. As you play, you will likely find that some feats and powers are differently useful (either more or less) than it appears on paper. Partly because of what the other players bring to the table (or don't), partly because of your GM's style of play. So keep this build as a plan, but be prepared to deviate from it as your group and campaign develop.

DwarvenMongoose

First Post
Sure will do! I'm just trying to get a general direction, but I'm more than willing to deviate as much as I need to favor teamwork and playstyle.

I'm just trying to get feedback about the general idea (caveats, missing feats, better options.)

If you don't plan to increase your prime requisite at 4th level then you're better off lowering it by one at level 1 instead. In other words a 17 STR will free up a whole bunch of points to start with other higher stats, then drop the point into STR at level 4. You'll have the same 18 from then on but you'll gain a couple points in other stats that will come in very handy if you want to pick up certain feats later on.

I'd agree with OPS though, unless you have a really specific plan to create a character with a very specific 'trick', you will probably find that you won't stick to an exact build. Try out different things and experiment.

DwarvenMongoose

First Post
Thanks, will look at that. Just wondering, because if I do that, I don't think I'll be able to get a 15 in WIS (unless not having a starting 16 in CON wich seems pointless) and I really want to get a 16 in WIS as soon as possible to get better at Heal and Perception, and getting a +1 on will saves.

Yeah, I know planning in advance is probably never to work exactly as planned, but remember this is my first run with this system. Doing this is helping me grasp how things work.

fba827

Adventurer
In 4e, it take -effort- to try and make a completely unusable PC.

I admit I only glanced at your list but it seems like it will do well enough.
Keep in mind that 4e has a lot to do with PC synergy. Do you know what other types of PCs will be in the party?

That may affect a couple power choices, skill choices, background benefit choice, etc.
(For example: If someone else in the party will have a better Wis or be trained in Perception, then don't bother putting your background bonus in to perception, instead put it in to athletics to help balance out the armor penalties from the armor and shield.. that sort of thing)

Also, a random observation, but toughness you're taking toughness towards the end of each tier (at 8th and again at 18th after having retrained out of it in between). Toughness makes the most noticeable difference towards the start of each tier (early levels and again near start of paragon level and again near start of epic). By waiting until the end of each tier to take it and then retrain out of it in between, you won't have much noticeable benefit from it. So I'd consider either taking it and stick with it during early levels of each tier or don't bother with it at all if you have other feats you'll want to take.

Last edited:

DwarvenMongoose

First Post
Thanks for your kind advice.

The only thing I have to say about Thougness is I was using that feat for short term "patching" because I did not want to pick up Multiclass power swaps before having good powers to swap for, or else I would be stuck with a useless feat for so many levels. Thougness seemed like a good feat to do that - you get a short boost to HP, don't feel it that much when you loose it (because you gained so many levels) and don't loose any special moves.

My role will be to stay back between the mage and ranger and the monsters, (I'll let the Pally and rogue go for the offense) and be sure I can push monsters away from them, pin them down, etc.

As for the Party, I know we'll have a Ranged Ranger, a Mage, A Pally, and a Dexterity Rogue. (No leader, so that's why I trained Heal and tried to get as many healing powers I could.)

Mengu

First Post
I will repeat the advice to bump Strength at every opportunity. As such you probably want to stagger the Con/Wis bumps. If you feel you need the high secondaries, start with 17/14/14. As important as attack bonuses are, I'd stick with the 18/13/13, and stagger the Con/Wis bumps.

DwarvenMongoose

First Post
So I'd be better starting with 18/15/15 and bumping +1 Str/+1 Con or Wis at 4, and another +1 Str/+1 Con or Wis at 8? After that, resume bumping both Str and Con.

Yeah, I see why - get the Str bonus 4 level earlier, and get one of the secondary 4 later. Makes a lot of sense.

Should I bump Con or Wis first? I guess it will depend of the party I find myself in.

Herschel

Adventurer
IF (and it's a big if) your plan is to be in the back line, why go dwarf and maybe why take toughness? I'm trying to remember where the Spiked Chain is from but a more mobile character with a polearm might be a better choice. Maybe an Eladrin with a big old spear, or at least a Longsword and board. Jack up Int for reflex and a Wizard or Warlord multiclass maybe (or Dex for a Rogue to chuck daggers or use a bow). A 16 starting strength should be fine as the Longsword and Greatspear are +3 proficiency weapons.

I'm just thinking that if you truly want to play in the back line, mobility, range and reach would garner a lot more usefulness than a grumpy stump with a hammer.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases