HS1 - The Slaying Stone - my poor reviewing skills review

Festivus

First Post
(I'll keep this fairly spoiler free)

I didn't find much information about what this adventure included, so I thought I would post here (since I picked it up last night at the game store).

The adventure is shorter than the last round of adventures, 32 pages long. The cover is heavy cardstock, and the pages are heavier paper than I am used to. If you have picked up the recent book Hammerfast or the Dragonborn book, this is the same quality. The cover is stapled to the adventure pages (so basically you can't use it as your DM screen). I was disappointed that there was no maps printed inside the cover, but since you can't detach it, it probably doesn't matter. It would have been cool to have a hex map of the area, much liek they did in the Hammerfast product.

There is a double sided poster map, of the typical quality these maps are. There are 3 encounter areas, and the side with two areas it nicely folds along that divide so you aren't folding your map in some new location.

I haven't finished reading the entire adventure, but I do like the layout. Right on the title page is the introduction, background, and a plot synopsis. There is a pre-planned opening scene that introduces the group to the current situation, although given the plot it wouldn't be hard to come up with my own hook.

Next is an overview of the story, and a rough timeline of what order things could progress, pointing out "iconic encounters" and suggestions for when those might run, but noting that you can sprinkle the others in pretty much any order. This is a pretty free form adventure.

One of my favorites is the next section, "Factions and NPCs", which gives suggestions for motivations for the various factions and people the players will encounter, and how these factions interact with one another. Good stuff there, great suggestions for a new DM.

There is information about the general plot theme, things found, and what various impacts each might have, as well as suggestions for minor plot hooks and future stories you could spin from here.

There is a description of the town, as once might expect when there is a town. The writups for each location is very general, allowing for the DM to paint the picture using their own words rather than boxed text. I rather liked this too, just give me enough to make a mental picture and then describe it.

There are two new magic items, but I can't describe them without spoilers.

There are a couple skill challenges, including some pretty good advice for running extended skill challenges and what happens when the group has any number of failures. I would have preferred the new skill challenge format I had seen bandied about (can't recall where), for example pointing out that when the group is trying to hide during a skill challenge, the entire party ought to make that stealth check as a group, not the one person with the best skill.

Next is the encounter areas. There about a dozen encounters, and they should take players to level 2 at their conclusion. The encounter areas, the monster stat blocks use the new Monster Manual 3 format, so there are segments for traits, standard actions, triggered actions, minor actions, etc. I never had trouble before but this does streamline it a bit more. Also improved are that there is more information related to the encounter and a smaller map with where starting locations could be. I found useful sidebars within the encounter area relating to things going on in that area, in case the group decided perhaps to suddenly negotiate with one of the bad guys.

The last pages have suggested additional encounters if you need to bump xp a bit, next steps for the party, including a plot hook for HS2, and an area to track treasure parcels and quests. There is also a page with backgrounds, each of which introduces a minor quest along with it. This was kind of a neat idea to have the players more interested in the story and a sense of purpose for why they are in the area to begin with.

Finally, I usually buy these adventures only for scraping encounters out of them and mainly the poster maps. This one however, I might actually run and see how it goes. It's aimed at the newer DMs it seems but the story looks fun and I like the interactions of all the factions involved.

vagabundo

Adventurer
Any chance you could put some more of the plot into spoiler tags? It sounds very interesting and is only 9 quid delivered.... Yum...

TerraDave

5ever, or until 2024
Ya, maybe without spoilers...is it event driven, dungeony, involve any funky oponents, have the PCs find ray guns and mushroom men (ok, that would be a spoiler).

Festivus

First Post
Non-spoilery stuff:

I'd say it's a pretty non-linear adventure. It's basically exploration of an area, finding hints and clues about things, perhaps not all encounters need end in violence.

There is some high tech stuff in there, but I can't go into details. I will note that I did not see any details about a ray gun or a froghemoth.

Some of the creatures have some interesting abilities that make them interesting to run in combat situations.

Spoilery stuff:

[sblock]
The group is hired by one of the primary NPCs to seek out a powerful magical artifact (The Slaying Stone) so that she can destroy it before if falls into the wrong hands. The artifact is supposed to be hidden in one of three locations in the town of Kiris Dahn (set in the Nentir Vale) which has been overrun by goblin hordes.

The PCs must infiltrate the city, stay hidden (since there are far too many goblins to fight them all), find the stone and get it back out. In order to find the stone, the group is given a ritual that they can use at the three locations which will help to determine if the stone is nearby or not. (it will turn out later that it's at none of those locations)

Things are never that simple of course, because a group of rival adventurers (well Orc mercenaries), have been hired by a competing NPC to find the slaying stone too. The orcs brutalize the goblin and kobold residents to try and find the stone.

There is an ongoing skill challenge throughout most of the adventure, where the group has to try to stay hidden from the orcs and goblins, or things get worse for them in terms of encounters.

There are unlikely allies with the kobolds, but that trust and alliance is difficult to attain. The kobolds tinker with stuff and make constructs to guard what little turf they have.
[/sblock]

I think what I like best is the price point. I figure about three 4 hour gaming sessions can be run out of this adventure, perhaps a little more if you stretch it with some additional encounters. The shorter format is more appealing than the prior series where you were looking at nearly three times as many sessions to run an adventure.

Festivus

First Post
Ok, now that reads really interesting.

Are you familiar with H1, how does it compare?

I ran H1 as my first 4E adventure, so I can sort of compare. Note that I haven't read all the encounters yet for HS1, but here is right off the bat:

[sblock]
It seems like much less of a dungeon crawl. One thing with H1 was that there was an awful lot of crawling through a dungeon of interconnected rooms that you had little in terms of branching opportunities.

In HS1, the group is exploring a town. There are several buildings who's interior is an encounter area, but the sequence that they explore is entirely up to the group (plus remember they need to be stealthy in a town occupied by hundreds of goblins), so crossing the main avenue is very likely a skill challenge event.

Where in H1 the party was trying to get to whatever the bad thing (kalarel) and his ritual, in this one the item they seek is actually quite safe to begin with, at least for the time being.

Big spoiler here, the stone is actually in the possession of a bronze dragon with whom the party must negotiate. The dragon isn't statted up, and truly it would be a TPK should they even try. It's listed as a skill challenge, but what I didn't notice (and I need to still really read this section in closer detail) is what happens should they fail to successfully negotiate with the dragon. It wouldn't be hard to have the party be turned away and the bad guys be able to possibly get their hands on it (or even a showdown where the party and the bad guys both try to talk with the dragon at the same time to convince them that they should have it)[/sblock]

I'll know a bit more when I have a bit more time to read it. I brought it to work with the intention or reading the encounters at lunch.

Festivus

First Post
Monster list (not including the additional encounters that don't have tactical pages):

[sblock]
Grey Wolves
Ravenous Wolves
Kobold Guttersnipes
Kobold Dragonshields
Scurrying Rat Swarms
Stirges
Iron Defenders
Speelick, Kobold Scavenger
Ankheg
Goblin Cutters
Rort, Goblin Tomeripper
Gray Oozes
Goblin Beast Marshalls
Bloodmonger Wolves
Wolf Packmates
Krayd the Butcher (orc)
Kiris Hoyt, Wererat
Triflik, Goblin Silverblade
Goblin Grunts
Hu-Jat, Hobgoblin Boss
Rage Drake
Goblin Warriors
Severed Eye Orc Slashers
Vohx, Severed Eyes Leader
Orc Wolf Shaman
Severed Eyes Orc Bludgeoners
[/sblock]

Zaukrie

New Publisher
So far I've only skimmed it. It is 100% not a dungeon crawl. Sure, there are places where you go into building or dungeony type place, but as said in the spoilers....well, it is not a dungeon crawl.

I'll read it in more detail this weekend, but I think it looks like a buy it right now.

Rechan

Adventurer
[sblock]I'm really curious about what the following monsters do/how they're different from others:

Orc Wolf Shaman
Ravenous Wolves
Bloodmonger Wolves
Goblin Beast Marshall[/sblock]

Jools

First Post
This sounds really good and the monster list matches my mini collection very well. I've been curious about this since the author (Bonner was it?) said how pleased he was with it just after he'd been laid off. Doh! Hope the new guys read it and learn from it.

A request, could someone take a quick pick (just with their phone or whatever) of each side of the map?

Remove ads