NEW (AGAIN)- Thunderspire Labyrinth- Stat analysis #25 Shrine to Baphomet

Aran Thule

First Post
Is it time for Balgron the chicken to leg it, seems he is running out of battle fodder.
I did love second chance when i played my halfling, i normally saved it for when i got hit with a critical, then if the new roll was a miss i would enjoy making up a nice excuse for what happened.
My fave was having a kobold wyrmpriest hitting his with a crit fire ray with then suddenly got intercepted by a flying duck.

Fairly understandable the party wanting to rest after this fight, but if fatty escapes do they chase or hold up and rest...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Is it time for Balgron the chicken to leg it, seems he is running out of battle fodder.
I did love second chance when i played my halfling, i normally saved it for when i got hit with a critical, then if the new roll was a miss i would enjoy making up a nice excuse for what happened.
My fave was having a kobold wyrmpriest hitting his with a crit fire ray with then suddenly got intercepted by a flying duck.

Fairly understandable the party wanting to rest after this fight, but if fatty escapes do they chase or hold up and rest...

You're nearly right with Balgron, only there's a twist in the tale...

H1 Keep on the Shadowfell
Encounter #8 Area 4 Chieftain's Lair

Round #5.

Grey- Ray of Frost GW5; Hit 8 Cold damage (16 HP) & Slowed. Shift to cover- away from Balgron and his Crossbow.

Winstanley- Move. Sly Flourish Balgron; Miss.

GW1- DEAD.

GW2- DEAD.

GW3- DEAD.

GW4- DEAD.

GW5- Shift. Spear Phrenic; Hit 8 damage (16 HP).

Balgron- Double Move- screaming. Slams fist into wall- secret door opens, down stairs and to another wall- slams fist into it again and continues to flee into Excavation Chamber- still screaming all the while for help.

Dirty- Run through secret door and after Balgron. Charge Comat Advantage Balgron; Miss. Marked.

Kaspard- Move. AoO GW5; Hit 7 damage (19 HP). Sacred Flame GW5; Miss.

Phrenic- Daily Lead the Attack GW5; Hit 13 damage (3 HP bloodied)- SURRENDER.

GC1- DEAD.

GC2- DEAD.

GC3- DEAD.

GC4- DEAD.

GC5- DEAD.

GC6- DEAD.

GC7- DEAD.

GC8- DEAD.

Time to play 8 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 1 (HP22/31)
Kaspard, Female Half-Elf Cleric of Bahamut 1 (HP19/26)
Winstanley Portico, Male Halfling Rogue 1 (HP22/25)
Grey Morlock, Male Human Wizard 1 (HP23/23)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 1 (HP16/24)

Bad Guys 875XP Level 4 Encounter.
Goblin Cutter Level 1 Minion [GC] (x8) (HP1) 8 DEAD
Goblin Warrior Level 1 Skirmisher [GW] (x5) (HP3/29) 4 DEAD & 1 SURRENDERED
Balgron the Fat Level Level 4 Lurker (Leader) [Balgron] (HP46)

Action Points 0 Total 5
Daily Powers 1 Total 2
Healing Surges 0 Total 2
2nd Winds 0 Total 1
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Crits 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Action Points 0 Total 0

Comment: And Dirty suddenly finds himself in a different chamber, the Excavation Site (Area 3) to be exact, Balgron is stood adjacent to him but is now smiling- the fat Goblin has yet to take any damage. Not a problem in itself but the chamber is also home to number of other Goblins, and worse...

Balgron, with Dirty hot on his heels, enters the chamber through the secret door.

Now I'd like to say the next mistake was not a mistake but something I'd thought through and decided upon in order to help the PCs out in a potentially tight spot. I'd like to be able to say that- but I can't. The Excavation Site is home to 3 Goblin Bombadiers and 2 Guard Drakes, Now I've played H1 a number of times, but never with this free downloaded version before. Foolishly I populated the chamber with 3 Goblin Sharpshooters, rather than the Bombadiers, a mistake I am glad I made, now read on...

Last edited:

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
Encounter #8 Area 4 Chieftain's Lair & Area 3 Excavation Site

And so two encounters have become one, and from an XP point of view the Encounter is now Level 7- Gulp!

Added to the encounter are-

Goblin Sharpshooter Level 2 Artillery [GS] (x3) (HP31)
Guard Drake Level 2 Brute [GD] (x2) (HP48)

New Initiative- 25 Grey 21 Winstanley 20 Goblin Sharpshooters 19 Goblin Warriors 11 Balgron & Dirty 9 Kaspard 8 Phrenic 5 Guardian Drakes 4 Goblin Cutters

Round #6.

Grey- Double Move after Dirty, he gets to the top of the stairs down to the Excavation Site.

Winstanley- Double Move, grabbing Balgron's chest en route (Perception check '23' to spot it), catch up with Dirty. Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Sly Flourish Balgron; Hit 13 damage (33 HP).

GS1- Double Move towards Balgron and the PCs.

GS2- Double Move towards Balgron and the PCs.

GS3- Ready Action Fire on first PC he spots.

GW1- DEAD.

GW2- DEAD.

GW3- DEAD.

GW4- DEAD.

GW5- Drops to his knees and puts his hands up- SURRENDER.

Balgron- Club Dirty; Hit 5 damage (20 HP) & Slowed & -2 to AoO. Move. AoO Dirty; Miss. Gets into the chamber proper, and behind GS1.

Dirty- Daily Dwarven Armour Healing Surge (27 HP). Move (Slowed). Charge GS1; Hit 9 damage (22 HP). Marked. Readied Action GS3 Crossbow Dirty; Miss.

Kaspard- Double Move into Excavation Site. Action Point- Tactical Presence/Assault from Phrenic extra +2 To Hit & +4 Damage. Charge GS1; Miss.

Phrenic- Double Move down stairs and into Excavation Site.

GD1- Double Move towards PCs.

GD2- Double Move towards PCs.

GC1- DEAD.

GC2- DEAD.

GC3- DEAD.

GC4- DEAD.

GC5- DEAD.

GC6- DEAD.

GC7- DEAD.

GC8- DEAD.

Time to play 8 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 1 (HP27/31)

Bad Guys 1500XP Level 7 Encounter.
Goblin Sharpshooter Level 2 Artillery [GS] (x3) (HP22/31 & 31/31 & 31/31)
Balgron the Fat Level Level 4 Lurker (Leader) [Balgron] (HP33/46)

Action Points 2 Total 7
Daily Powers 1 Total 3
Healing Surges 1 Total 3
2nd Winds 0 Total 1
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Crits 0 Total 0

Comment: Here we go again, am I cruel... am I?

You're probably right- I'm a very bad man.

Aran Thule

First Post
No, being cruel would be having the surrendered goblin realise that the PC's have all run off.
Then have him run off down the corridor and notice the goblins in the cage and release them all.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
No, being cruel would be having the surrendered goblin realise that the PC's have all run off.
Then have him run off down the corridor and notice the goblins in the cage and release them all.

And for that, I'll have to post another turn...

Round #7.

Grey- Double Move into Excavation Site- he catches up with the action.

Winstanley- Move. Sly Flourish GS1; Hit 10 damage (12 HP bloodied).

GS1- Drop Crossbow. Draw Shortsword. Shortsword Dirty; Miss.

GS2- Crossbow Dirty; 10 damage (17 HP). Move to protect Balgron.

GS3- Move. Crossbow Dirty; Miss.

GW1- DEAD.

GW2- DEAD.

GW3- DEAD.

GW4- DEAD.

GW5- SURRENDER. Looks up to find out that all the PCs have run off- Where's everyone gone?

Balgron- Double Move further into chamber and away from the PCs, screaming for the Goblin Sharpshooters to kill the PCs.

Dirty- Reaping Strike GS1; Miss 3 damage (9 HP bloodied). Screams for the other PCs to help him.

Kaspard- Shift back. Lance of Faith GS1; Hit 5 Radiant damage (4 HP bloodied) & 3 Temp HP Dirty.

Phrenic- Move into Excavation Site. Inspiring Word +1 HP Dirty (25 HP). Charge GS1; Miss.

GD1- Move. Bite Phrenic; Miss.

GD2- Can't get into combat as is stuck behind GD1 on slope up to ledge on which PCs battle.

GC1- DEAD.

GC2- DEAD.

GC3- DEAD.

GC4- DEAD.

GC5- DEAD.

GC6- DEAD.

GC7- DEAD.

GC8- DEAD.

Time to play 7 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 1 (HP25/31)

Goblin Sharpshooter Level 2 Artillery [GS] (x3) (HP4/31 & 31/31 & 31/31)

Action Points 0 Total 7
Daily Powers 0 Total 3
Healing Surges 1 Total 4
2nd Winds 0 Total 1
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Crits 0 Total 0

Comment: What do you think the PCs chances are?

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter
I really enjoyed reading about how the players reacted in the earlier part of this thread. Are they still on the edges of their seats?

RC

Not a chance, this is there second session of D&D ever- they're old hands by now, approaching jaded. ;)

Actually if you follow it to the end of this fight you'll see they're smarter than lots of players, and in only their second session.

But in answer to your question, seriously, during this fight, after Dirty ran into the second encounter, the initial mood was- 'good, some more bad guys to smush...'

They have a business like manner at times with combat, interspersed with pockets of glum and glee.

In general they're still excitable fools, even to this day, moments that stand out from the 2nd session were-

"What do you mean he's disappeared?" when Agrid the Gnome at the Dragon Burial Site vanished for a bit- that seemed to rile them, don't ask me why but they took it personally.

There was a lot of blue-air (foul language) when Phrenic dropped in the first room proper in the Keep on the Shadowfell, after McGyver bit the dirt in the first session they're very keen for Phrenic to survive.

Same when they got the surprise round in the Torture Chamber, it has to be said they love to fight, they carry their anger well- so they get ticked off in one encounter (Phrenic getting reduced to 0 HP, and the Rat Swarm proving difficult to kill) and have to find some bad guys as soon as to take it out on. Thus the Hobgoblin Torturer and his pals became public enemy no 1. before they had even met them.

Because they don't know the rules, and can't guess what comes next, then a Hobgoblin Torturer wielding a red hot poker is the ultimate bad ass, even if only for a few rounds.

I think in the later encounters there are times when they miss, and they're so angry that they've missed- generally because they've figured out their next move and now they're all backed up, that they spend Action Points in an attempt to preserve their plan. Never Action Point angry, I seem to remember in much later sessions (on at least two occassions) d20s were sacrificed- thrown out of the window of a third floor flat once, for failing to turn up the right result, and after Action Points were spent and wasted.

As I said above they're an excitable bunch, well at least two or three of them are much of the time, the fight they're in generated a fair amount of tension but nothing to compare with Irontooth. The key to that encounter was the fact that for a while they all thought that none of them would survive.

These initial sessions however IMHO are often the golden moments, particularly for brand noobs for whom everything is new, and more often than not cool, or freaky, or weird, or...

Especially if you (the DM) play on those moments- so the Hobgoblin Torturers armour (Bloodcut) as I described it in game- bled out and then gave off an eerie scarlet glow, the creature than growled a lot pointed at whoever it was (usually Phrenic) and made various threats. They love this stuff, and I try to act up whenever I can, particularly when there's a leader type on the map. One of the main reasons I stopped playing a very good Maptools campaign was around the table, with an audience, you can really go to town- ham it up. I spend my days at work in lecture theatres and classrooms where you have to be entertaining, and informative, and be able to hold a narrative.

Having said all that they still just love killing stuff, whether it's a bunch of Minions caught in a fiery blast, or when Irontooth finally gave up the ghost- although that victory took a while longer to celebrate.

In D&D, like life, small victories make for happy players.

Thanks for still reading, I still think looking at it on the page this stuff looks at times like chess moves, although with flaming spheres and the like.

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #8.

Grey- Shift. Scorching Burst GS1-2 & GD1-2; Hit GS1 8 Fire damage- DEAD & GD1-2 8 Fire damage each (40 HP each).

Winstanley- Daily Trick Strike GD1; Hit 12 damage (28 HP).

GS1- DEAD.

GS2- Crossbow Phrenic; Miss.

GS3- Crossbow Dirty; Hit 5 damage (23 HP)

GW1- DEAD.

GW2- DEAD.

GW3- DEAD.

GW4- DEAD.

GW5- SURRENDERED- “Hello? Hello? Can I go now?”

Balgron- Move. Wrestle Crossbow off GS3, loads it. Screams for the Goblins to kill the PCs.

Dirty- Spinning Strike GD1; Miss. Marked.

Kaspard- Sacred Flame GD1; Hit 4 Radiant damage (24 HP blooded) & 3 Temp HP Dirty.

Phrenic- Viper's Strike GD1; Miss.

GD1- Bite Dirty; Hit 12 damage (14 HP bloodied).

GD2- Move. Bite Phrenic; Hit 14 damage (2 HP bloodied).

GC1- DEAD.

GC2- DEAD.

GC3- DEAD.

GC4- DEAD.

GC5- DEAD.

GC6- DEAD.

GC7- DEAD.

GC8- DEAD.

Time to play 9 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 1 (HP14/31)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 1 (HP2/24)

Goblin Sharpshooter Level 2 Artillery [GS] (x3) (HP31/31 & 31/31) 1 DEAD
Guard Drake Level 2 Brute [GD] (x2) (HP24/48 & 40/48)

Action Points 0 Total 7
Daily Powers 1 Total 4
Healing Surges 0 Total 4
2nd Winds 0 Total 1
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 0 Total 0
Bad Guys Crits 0 Total 0

Comment: The PCs are stuck- either stand out in the open and fight the Guard Drakes, and come under fire; or else charge into the chamber proper and possibly get cut off; or else try to stay out of sight of the Sharpshooters and leave the Defenders out in the open to soak up the damage- only one problem with that...

Goonalan

Legend
Supporter

Round #9.

Grey- Scorching Burst GS2 & GD1-2; Hit GD1 5 Fire damage (19 HP bloodied) & GD2 5 Fire damage (35 HP). Move back and open door out of chamber- it leads back into the initial Guard Room (Area 1). Shouts to tell the other PCs this.

Winstanley- Sly Flourish GD1; Miss. Move back.

GS1- DEAD.

GS2- Crossbow Phrenic; Hit 6 damage (-4 HP dying).

GS3- Draw Shortsword. Double Move towards the PCs.

GW1- DEAD.

GW2- DEAD.

GW3- DEAD.

GW4- DEAD.

GW5- SURRENDER. He runs away.

Balgron- Crossbow Dirty; Crit 12 damage- Immediate Interrupt Armour of Bahamut from Phrenic- reduced to 8 damage (6 HP).

Dirty- Grab dying Phrenic and throw over his shoulder (Athletics 21). Shift back. Run back for the door.

Kaspard- Sacred Flame GD1; Miss. Move back protecting Dirty.

Phrenic- Death Save- '12' Success.

GD1- Move. Bite Winstanley; Hit 13 damage (9 HP bloodied).

GD2- Move. Bite Kaspard; Miss.

GC1- DEAD.

GC2- DEAD.

GC3- DEAD.

GC4- DEAD.

GC5- DEAD.

GC6- DEAD.

GC7- DEAD.

GC8- DEAD.

Time to play 10 minutes.

End of Round-

Good Guys
Dirty Biskit, Male Dwarven Fighter 1 (HP6/31)
Winstanley Portico, Male Halfling Rogue 1 (HP9/25)
Phrenic, Male Tiefling Warlord 1 (HP-4/24)

Goblin Warrior Level 1 Skirmisher [GW] (x5) (HP3/29) 4 DEAD & 1 RAN OFF
Goblin Sharpshooter Level 2 Artillery [GS] (x3) (HP31/31 & 31/31) 1 DEAD
Guard Drake Level 2 Brute [GD] (x2) (HP19/48 & 35/48)

Action Points 0 Total 7
Daily Powers 0 Total 4
Healing Surges 0 Total 4
2nd Winds 0 Total 1
Crits 0 Total 1
PCs Ko'd 1 Total 1
Bad Guys Crits 1 Total 1

Comment: How clever are these guys, I've been playing 4e since it came out and I can remember... nope, I can't remember any group of PCs ever retreating, save perhaps when half the PCs have fallen already, and even then... Now they've got to get away from the Goblins.

Sergeytov

First Post
Wow. First of all, like so many others, this is a pretty cool thread, and I'm curious as to what happens next.

Secondly, my brain is trying to think what I'd do in this situation, since it seems like there's a lack of 'retreat powers' that I can immediately recall, especially at that level.

Good to see players smart enough to run, though.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases