Demons, Devils, or Other?

What is Your Favorite Evil Outsider?

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
What are your favorite evil outsiders and why?

Demons = chaotic killers.
Devils = cunning contractors.
Daemons, Yugoloths, Gehreleths, etc. = those 'other' fiends.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
Great question!

I picked Devils. I enjoy having my players attempt to outwit those sneaky manipulators. "Sign here, please."

Shemeska

Adventurer
'loths.

Since they were created as something largely unique to D&D, they never had to crib off of the flavor of any real world demons or devils (for whom the distinction by alignment and nature in D&D was entirely moot). They had their own flavor that wasn't, by its nature, capable of ever coming off as pastiche of anything like the Lesser Key of Solomon, etc. There was never a case of being a D&D'ized version of names swiped from Dante or Paradise Lost.

I liked that creative uniqueness that they had and which the 2e guys went to town with when the 'loths really came into their own. :)

Steel_Wind

Legend
I always preferred Devils back-in-the-day and that preference has continued over the years. Devils have a sense of menace behind them because of the organization and sense of purpose that they bring to the encounter.

There is also a sense from the players that Devils are not "sort of" evil. They are, literally, evil incarnate. There is nothing worse -- except an Archdevil. And all of them play for keeps.

I think it is also fair to say that as a DM, I never feel that I am crossing the line when playing a devil in an encounter in a manner which optomizes its attacks or causes it to do something ... devilishly clever.

For most encounters (most, not all) that are played during a typical game session, there is a certain social contract that the DM is not expected to go *all out* against the players without execeptionally good reason. Whether this "gentlemen's agreement" is to "simulate" the reduced intelligence of the foe or for some other contrived reason is arguable. But whatever the source of the understanding, it's generally expected by players that there is a line that is seldom crossed. I don't mean to say that the default play method is "hold back." But there is a difference, in my mind, between playing the foe reasonably -- and playing him as diabolically nasty as one can. Because once crossed, to go all out against the players can transform the game session into a game of DM vs. the Players.

Usually this is unhealthy. However, when the context allows it and everyone involved understands that the gloves are absolutely off and every possible advantage will be pressed, the game takes on a dangerous edge.

Some encounters, by their very nature, demand this sort of "gloves are off" approach. For me and the people I play with, Devils are the foes where I have always felt that the "social contract" in the game REQUIRES that the DM not hold back.

Everybody at the table understands and EXPECTS that the devil(s) will use every resource that it has to prevail -- as cunningly as possible, too.

As a consequence, my players have always understood that devils are incredibly dangerous and will be played for keeps. The tension level always rises as a result. There is a palpable ... respect ... that descends during any combat when there is, literally, devilry afoot.

Last edited:

Dausuul

Legend
I incline more toward demons; I like the chaotic, hallucinatory, nightmare aspect of them. Still, I'm starting to find a real appreciation for devils and their intricate plots.

Daemons/demodands/miscellaneous fiends created to fill in the "neutral evil" slots in the old wheel? Meh.

(I refuse to use any of 2E's weird names for the fiendish races.)

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
I've always had a greater affection for Devils and the lawful evil alignment in general.

Demons do work great when you just want a bunch of high powered monsters that are around the area wreaking havoc "just cause," for the occasional fun mindless hack and slash.

But I like the plotting of devils, I'm just often too lazy to plan that stuff out. This would be one of the few parts of DMing that would cause me to look for a good sourcebook of AP to pre-write the scheming for me. (I generally never use APs as a DM and even sort of like taking hours to twink out special clssed NPCs in my spare time).

fba827

Adventurer
On another note, why does your vote count for two? Special Paizo Contributor bonus?

(slight thread derail but I don't feel bad answering :p)
If a person isn't logged in , or is not registered, and votes they increase the count but no name gets recorded. Thus you may only see one name there even though vote count is 2 or more... the extra are unregistered or unlogged voters.

we now return you to your regularly scheduled thread already in progress ...

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases