Adventure : Humanitas Severe

renau1g

First Post
Ashir looks over the gloves, "Oh yes these will certainly be useful, especially against those damnable Oni, they shall feel the flames" he mutters to himself. Next he picks up the rob, gently feeling the enchanted cloth and trying it on, it's slightly too large for him, "Apparently not all wizards are as fit as I" Ashir says, smiling in spite of the situation. He places the brooch around his neck and the circlet upon his brow. After examing his tome acquired from their last battle, Ashir is surprised to find it drained. He stares at it and then opens the book, which is empty of all the knowledge it contained. The genasi growled in frustration, but saw another tome in the stash, this red, leather-bound book was quite intriguing to him.

[sblock=OOC]
Mal, the tome says it contains 2 daily spells in it of its level or lower. Being that its level 2 only level 1 is available and there are only 2 spells of that level. Flaming Sphere and Summon Fire Warrior. Just to confirm that with you [/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"Yes," Raiko says with a grin. "I'd say we can make good use of these. He begins removing his own plating and replacing it with the frost hardened set.

"Tell me how these Fey have been seen to travel. Wen they come to hunt, do they seem to appear or come from a certain area? Any short range teleportation?"

[sblock=Skills]Religion 16

Forgot to roll for the god head[/sblock]

[sblock=Updated Basic Attack]
Parrying Katana, +10 to Hit vs AC, 1d10+7 damage
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Raiko, Male Dragonborn Paladin 4 ()
Init: +2; P.Insight: 21; P.Perception: 15
AC: 24; Fort: 18; Reflex: 16; Will: 17
HP: 54/54; Surges: 16 hp, 13/13
Resist: All 1
AcP: 1
Potions: 3

Skills: Heal +7, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +10, Religion +6
Languages: Common, Draconic
Str: 19, Con: 16, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Sling Bullets: 20/20

Divine Challenge, Holy Strike, Valiant Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 per day)
Dragon Breath, Piercing Smite, Strength from Valor, Virtue, Second Wind, Chanel Divinity (Divine Mettle/Divine Strength)
Paladin's Judgement, Amulet of Resolution, Parrying Bastard Sword[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Map]
http://virtualbattlemat.com/game/hells_basement_1/

I have a map up. It's butt ugly but workable. I used Excel because I suck at designing stuff and coudn't find an appropriate map in Dungeon. Next time, I find the map first abd build the story around it, as usual. :p

It is huge. Zooming to 50% migth help you.

The grey square a rocky formation. Single and double square are 1 square high, larger formations are 2 square high, the large block at the center of the fort is 3 square high.

The walls are 2 square high, the tower are 4. The double line on each tower indicates the ladder.

The tower are occupied by a ballista that make all 4 squares difficult. You have cover on each square and superior cover if wiedling the ballista (though I expect soldiers to do that, seeing as the curse prevents them from using other weapons).

You can fight on the walls and get cover from ranged attacked. The path is thin though, an each time you get hit, you are in danger of being thrown off. The basic check is Acrobatic DC 10. DC can increase based on the nature of the attack. If you get a push effect, there is no free save, you fall.

The grey blue squares are tent. They are flimsy and someone could try slashing his way throught them. The orange sqaure are permanent buildings.

The gate is the double line.

Green is a patch of wood, difficult terrain, cover if you stand in it, superior cover if you have one square of wood between you and the attacker, no LOS if you have two.

The X area on top of the large rock is the catapult.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Siege Engine]They do a lot of damage but are slow firing. Typically, only one ballista will fire each round, maybe 2 if the attacks are coming from two opposite front. I am tweaking stats, but it tends to do twice as much damage as a level 4 character but hits 50% as much. (Something like +5 vs AC, 2d10+8)

The catapult is a bit different. It needs coordinates. The people on top of the rock kinda see what's going on but need help. A PC can take a Standard action to call in a catapult strike. It's an area blast 1, +8 vs Reflex, 2d10+8. It requires a Standard Action from a PC, a perception check DC 15 then the player calls the square. If you roll 10 to 14, you'll miss the square by 1 in a random direction. Less than 10, you'll miss by 3.

That thing doesn't reload very quickly either. I am thinking 2 turns to reload, ready on the third.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Religion]Lots of high religion check. I even see a 30!

That convinces Ashir that this indeed the collpased essence of a divine beingm, albeit a minor one. So are most of the rocks laying around the fort.

He conceivably has a bit of essence left and was able to pull you here. This must have been his desmene but with him dead, it seems a feylord hijacked it.

There is a way to tap in his remaining essence to help you. After studying him for a bit, those who rolled above 25 in religion conclude that this minor deity was originally an archfey of some kind. Feys are notoriously mutable. This one seems to have fancied itself a protector of some kind. By defining itself and acting as such and presumably by gathering followers it eventually reached a limited godhood.

The resonance of its essence is seriously Lawful Good, in good ole D&D terminology. If you match its resonance, you can channel some power.

If you are Good aligned or if you have become bloodied in defence of others, you can attempt the following action:

Resurgence of the defender
Minor action, healing, encounter
Requisite: Must be within 10 square of the large rock at the center of the camp or adjacent (touching) one of the smaller one.
Religion Check DC 15, one target with
Target: An ally within 5 square or adjacent to one of the stones.
Action: make a religion check DC 15. If successful, the target may spend a healing surge and gain 1d6+5 additional HP.
Failure: The power is not expanded.
Special: This can be successfully used twice in one encounter but only once successfully per round.

Knight's fortitude
Minor, encounter
Requisite: Must be within 10 square of the large rock at the center of the camp or adjacent (touching) one of the smaller one.
Target: An ally within 5 squares or adjacent to one of the stones
Action: Make a religion check DC 15. If successful, the target gets an immediate saving throw with a +5 bonus.
Failure: The power is not expanded

Blessing of the protector
Standard, Daily
Target: You and every Ally within 10 square of the large rock or adjacent to one of the smaller ones.
Action: Make a religion check DC 20. If successful, targets gain +1 to attack until the end of the encounter as well as 10 THP.
Failure: The power is not expanded.

If you are lawful good: +2 to the check
If you are both bloodied and good: +2 to the check
If you stand adjacent to the big rock: +2 to the check
If one ally is dying: +2 to the check
If within 3 square of one of the organge building, +2 to the check (that's where the children are hiding).

These are all cumulative.

If you are character is not Good aligned but you want him to become so, I have no problem. Just make the change. Defending a village full of children when you know it'd be much safer to just walk away if pretty much good aligned.
[/sblock]

As the heroes equip themselves, several children cautiously leave the safety of the buildings and approach curiously the newcomers. Some parents seem very nervous, but seeing as many are orphans, they have no one to hold them back. Neva gently herds them some distance away, near the rock. It seems to have a calming effect on everyone.

-''Leave them some space. Remember you are not supposed to touch weapons and armors.'' she admonishes.

-''Poor kids. This is no place to grow up.'' says Tevense sadly. -'To answer your question, we have never seen hunters appear, though we have seen a few disappear when they have reached their quota. It looks very much like teleportation. I suspect whoever let them in this desmene makes sure they appear out of sight. It's hardly just fey. Some are, obviously, but most are mortals. Humans, eladrin and goblins seem especially common. They always seem to be nobles or rich merchants. I am not sure if lord Severus will just send more hunters of if he will use special troops.

The most likely direction for an assault is the North or through the wood. That way we have very little warning before the attack. Second most likely is through the south. There are a lots of rocky formation to use for cover. West is a possibility though there is not as much cover and we'll have a bit more warning when they round the wood. East is the safest direction; we'd see them coming long before they are in reach and they have nowhere to hide.''

[sblock=Updated Characters]Now that I have given treasure, I'll appreciate any new updated CB files of your PCs.[/sblock]

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
[sblock=Woo!]My Fort is higher than my AC! I'm like a Brute! Suck it, implement-using monsters![/sblock]

Haruka smiles wistfully at the stone and whispers, "Sorry, you're not my type," before helping herself to her share of the items. She tries to be attentive during Tevense's briefing. When that fails, she tries to at least look attentive, but it's clear that she's only catching about half of what he's saying. When he finishes, she turns to her fellow adventurers with a look of hope and expectation, "You were all trained to fight in wars, right? With formations, defending ground, flanking, all that. So you guys know what to do?"

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato human warlock 5
Initiative: +3 | Passive perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 17
AC: 18 | For: 19
| Ref: 19 | Will: 18
HP: 51/51| Bloodied: 23 | Surge value: 11 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 1 | Second Wind: not used
Melee Basic Attack: +5 vs AC, 1d6 damage
Ranged Basic Attack: +9 vs Reflex, 1d10+5 damage
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt

Flames of Phlegethos
Tyrannical Threat

Ethereal Stride

Deathcut Armor
Prison of Salzacas
Blackleaf Gloves

Conditions:[/sblock]

Attachments

• Haruka Sato.dnd4e
    115.3 KB · Views: 109

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
"Trained? Certainly and well. That training tells me that you cannot defend this fort with artillery and only two soldiers." Raiko says rather calmly. "Not against Elladrin, who can appear on top of your too thin, too short walls, and not when your fortifications are cramped with children."

Raiko seems angry at nobody in particular and thinking. "We're going to have to meet them outside. Fighting inside will be desperate chaos." He says to Raiko before turning back to the captain. "I don't suppose you have a shovel?"

[sblock=ooc]Raiko's plan is to dig a shallow pit from K19 to L21.

The idea being that you could sit uncomfortably in it, but standing would basically put you on ground level. I'm aiming for Difficult Terrain moving in and out as opposed to a full square down.

Raiko and Max go in, covered by some Tent fabric and a loose layer of dirt and leaves. That way their outside the fort but not in the open when the army attacks.

Raiko will dig with his shield if needed but figures the Captain has some kind of makeshift tools since he built a fort.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Raiko, Male Dragonborn Paladin 4 ()
Init: +2; P.Insight: 21; P.Perception: 15
AC: 24; Fort: 18; Reflex: 16; Will: 17
HP: 54/54; Surges: 16 hp, 13/13
Resist: All 1
AcP: 1
Potions: 3

Skills: Heal +7, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +10, Religion +6
Languages: Common, Draconic
Str: 19, Con: 16, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Sling Bullets: 20/20

Divine Challenge, Holy Strike, Valiant Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 per day)
Dragon Breath, Piercing Smite, Strength from Valor, Virtue, Second Wind, Chanel Divinity (Divine Mettle/Divine Strength), Resurgence of the Defender, Knight's Fortitude
Paladin's Judgement, Amulet of Resolution, Parrying Bastard Sword, Blessing of the Defender[/sblock]

Attachments

• Raiko.dnd4e
    126.2 KB · Views: 114

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC]Sure, no problem. How well concealed it is would be a function of the stealth skill, though not necessarily that of those hidden in the pit.

I am pretty sure no one in your group has better than +8 so by default we'll use that score as one of the scouts helps you camouflage the pit.

A successful Nature check 15 would grant +2 and 25 would grant +4.

As an aside, I am amused that Raiko now has 16 in constitution. I remember a time when he had 10... ;)
[/sblock]

[sblock=PS]I gave a +2 rimefire plate I gave to Raiko, not a +1 reinforcing plate. If you want to screw yourself out of roughly 1000gp worth of treasure, suit yourself, but I wouldn't recommend it! ;)

EDIT: I see that you have the correct AC in the stat block and the correct item in the wiki. I also see an oathblade instead of a parrying blade and several other difference betwene CB and wiki.

I presume this was a wish list that lead to a mistake when filling in the CB.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=ooc]Sounds like I sent you the wrong file. Which makes sense in retrospect since I'm in a different location than where I was when I updated my sheet with the new treasure. I'll repost later.[/sblock]

renau1g

First Post
As they continues discussing tactics, Ashir says "I will need to devote at least a little time to review this tome before we battle anyone to ensure I can properly harness its power, however I may be able to aid in the digging while I do that" he says and a spectral hand appears in front of him, which opens and closes.

The genasi stares at the forest and nods that it seems a likely spot for attack and the enemy can get close without being spotted. "Perhaps I can also take care of some of the tree cover?" the wizard asks, his penchant for fire known at least to his allies.

As the melee warriors begin converting to their new gear, Ashir has an idea about how they can maybe use the old armor.

[sblock=ooc]
Ashir will aid in the digging (if there's another shovel) if its under 20 lbs. If no shovel, perhaps any piece of Raiko's non-magical plate (like the shoulder plate) that might resemble a digging tool. Can we stand on the stone or is it difficult to?

Second, would Ashir be able to Scorching Burst the trees to reduce some of the cover there?

Third, can we take Raiko & Max's old armor/weapons and set-up decoys on the towers?

Fourth, any chance we can set-up some pit traps and punji sticks? [/sblock]

[sblock=L4W Ashir]
Init: +0 Speed: 6 Perception:12 Insight: 12
AC: 19 NAD:18/17/16
HP: 34/34 Surges: 7/7 Surge Value: 8 AP: 1
Languages: Common, Primordial
Str:19 Dex:12 Wis:13 Con:12 Int:19 Cha:8

Powers:
Cantrips
Scorching Burst
Thunderwave
Burning Hands
Icy Rays (In Tome)
Fire Shroud
Promise of Storms
Second Wind
Tome of Readiness
Shield (Moonstride)
Flaming Sphere
Gloves of Piercing
Robes of Contingency
Brooch of Shielding +1
Circlet of Second Chances
Summon Dretch

[/sblock]

Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Raiko has them open the doors again, and indicates the dimensions of the pitt before he starts digging as well.

"You and I, Max, shall lie in wait here so we might strike at them without allowing them entrance to the others."

He turns back to the mage, who seems to reading and working, Raiko's thoughts on the trees. "If you think you can burn down the trees without angering our current patron," Raiko indicates the godhead, "Then I am all for it."

[sblock=ooc]Religion to sense will of diety-rock 11

Raiko takes no issue with his armor and sword being used as a target when proposed.

As for Raiko's con, Ozzy tried to convince me early on that Raiko's str could afford to be lower and his con should be higher but it was really the gauntlet of 1st level that drove the point home. I even took toughness earlier than intended.

With his new armor, Raiko is now one of the toughest defenders in L4W.[/sblock]

Attachments

• Raiko.dnd4e
    129.2 KB · Views: 99

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases