Adventure : Humanitas Severe

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
Raiko draws his sword silently and crouches in the pit. Great spirits who have born the world before me. Let my actions bring you honor.

[sblock=ooc]Init 18

I moved Max as well as myself on the map. It looks like he either forgot to do that, or perhaps didn't have the ability at the time.

I feel I should point out that I asked the pitt to be from L19 to J21. Seeing as how the enemy is approaching from the forest I don't have an issue with where the pitt is. Perhaps a soldier offered an agreeable suggestion.[/sblock]

[sblock=Stat Block]Raiko, Male Dragonborn Paladin 4 ()
Init: +2; P.Insight: 21; P.Perception: 15
AC: 24; Fort: 18; Reflex: 16; Will: 17
HP: 54/54; Surges: 16 hp, 13/13
Resist: All 1
AcP: 1
Potions: 3

Skills: Heal +7, History +8, Insight +11, Intimidate +10, Religion +6
Languages: Common, Draconic
Str: 19, Con: 16, Dex: 10, Int: 8, Wis: 16, Cha: 12

Sling Bullets: 20/20

Divine Challenge, Holy Strike, Valiant Strike, Lay on Hands (3/3 per day)
Dragon Breath, Piercing Smite, Strength from Valor, Virtue, Second Wind, Chanel Divinity (Divine Mettle/Divine Strength), Resurgence of the Defender, Knight's Fortitude
Paladin's Judgement, Amulet of Resolution, Parrying Bastard Sword, Blessing of the Defender[/sblock]

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
"They want violence? Well, let's be sure to not disappoint."

Haruka climbs up into the same tower Ashir is in, "Whatever you wanted to talk about, I hope it can wait." Without waiting for a response, she drops down onto the wall. She shifts her weight from one foot to the other, as though impatient to begin.

ooc: Initiative 10.

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato human warlock 5
Initiative: +3 | Passive perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 17
AC: 18 | For: 19
| Ref: 19 | Will: 18
HP: 51/51| Bloodied: 23 | Surge value: 11 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 1 | Second Wind: not used
Melee Basic Attack: +5 vs AC, 1d6 damage
Ranged Basic Attack: +9 vs Reflex, 1d10+5 damage
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt

Flames of Phlegethos
Tyrannical Threat

Ethereal Stride

Deathcut Armor
Prison of Salzacas
Blackleaf Gloves

Conditions:[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
I moved Max as well as myself on the map. It looks like he either forgot to do that, or perhaps didn't have the ability at the time.

I feel I should point out that I asked the pitt to be from L19 to J21. Seeing as how the enemy is approaching from the forest I don't have an issue with where the pitt is. Perhaps a soldier offered an agreeable suggestion.

ooc: thanks Scorpius :) Initiative roll: 1d20+2=18

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC]The location of the pit wasn't a free pass. I just misread your instructions! Fixed. :)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Stealth]
Stealth, H-Orcs, Human javelin hunters, Eladrin (1d20+5=23, 1d20+5=19, 1d20+6=23)

I rolled by groups of enemy. Surprisingly, even though they are not that good at stealth, they all beat all of your Passive Perception.

Ashir's Nature Check (1d20+10=29)

Eh. Let that stand as the DC to spot the camouflaged pit. The bad guys get a surprise round, but they don't see Raiko and Max.

Hunters initiative (1d20+7=27)

Wow. And they seize the initiative big time.
[/sblock]

Without warning, the hunters are here. Three pairs; Eldrin archers, half-orcs marauder and a duo of javelin wielding barbarians. The barbarians and the half-orcs seize the initiative and moves into favorable position while the archers stay on the edge of the forest and looses volleys or arcane arrows.

One such arrows explodes on the tower manned by Ashir to devastating effect. Ashir is thrown to the floor while ballista and the crewman are rocked.

Then they launch an onlsaught of fire arrows but the heroes fare rather wall, only the southern ballista taking a hit.

The javelin brother get to work and agilely attempts climbing the wall. One is so swift that he gets inside before he can be stopped. The other struggles a bit and is only halfway up.

The half-orc also open fire and take their toll.

[sblock=OOC]
Surprise round:

Javelin and HOrcs take one move. The Eldarin shoot arrows (with CA for suprise).

Eladrin 1:
Eldritch Burst (no cover, it centered on the middle of the tower)
1: vs Ashir fortitude 2: vs Ballista crew 3:vs Ballista (1d20+10=16, 1d20+10=27, 1d20+10=23, 1d10+5=14) hit everyone; despit annuncing the CA, I forgot the +2 to the roll. It was an 18 vs Ashir's fort.

Eladrin 2
Flame arrows, 2 attack, vs Haruka AC 18+2, the 1d6 is fire damage. (1d20+10=23, 1d10+1d6=8, 1d20+10=12, 1d10+1d6=12) 1 hit, 1 miss, 8 damage

Normal Round

Archers:

They both use Fire Arrow, 1 vs Ashir, 2 vs SW Ballista
1&2 vs Ashir ref 17+2 3&4 vs Ballista SW (Vulnerable 5 fire) ref 14+2 (1d20+10=14, 1d10+1d6=4, 1d20+10=14, 1d10+1d6=9, 1d20+10=13, 1d10+1d6=9, 1d20+10=19, 1d10+1d6=12)

:eek:

Not impressive.

The archers both move a bit inside the forest to gain full cover.

For archer 1
Recharche the eldritch strike : 4+ (1d6=2) fail

Javelin:

Both move 2 square than make a high jump
Athletics, 1: Javelin1 2:Javelin2 (1d20+10=14, 1d20+10=17)

Both manage to grasp the edge of the wall, none have enough impulsion to clear it (It's 10 feet high, they can grasp 8 feet high, running jump of 10 get +2 feet, running Jump of 15 gets +3. If you get +4 feet I rule that you can clear your upper body and get a free acrobatic check to immediately move onto the wall. Failling that, they have to climb.

Climb, DC 15
1d20+10=24, 1d20+10=12 1 makes it, 2 fail and is still hanging on the wall.

Half Orcs
1:Haruka 2:SW Ballista (1d20+10=23, 1d10+5=6, 1d20+10=30, 1d10+5=6)

Move:TPL
[/sblock]

Hell's Basement 1 on Virtual Battlemat

[sblock=Stats & Status]
Javelin 2: Climbing

Ballista NW: 66/80
Ballista crew NW: 36/50 prone
Ballista SW: 48/80

Haruka: 37/51
Ashir: 20/34 prone

Javelin Dancer
Perception 14
HP 70; Bloodied 35
AC 20; Fortitude 18, Reflex 19, Will 17
OA: Weapon, Spear
+11 vs AC; 1d8+3 damage.

Half-Orc Hunter
Perception 18; low-light vision
HP 62; Bloodied 31
AC 19; Fortitude 18, Reflex 18, Will 16
OA Battleaxe (if drawn)
+10 vs AC; 1d10+5 damage.

Eladrin Arcane Archer
Perception +7; low-light vision
HP 51; Bloodied 25
AC 17; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 16
OA Short Sword (if drawn)
+12 vs AC; 1d6+4 damage.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Haruka leans over the wall to look at the man climbing up it. She gestures, and streams of shadow and crimson emanate from her fingertips and wrap around the climber, leaving welts and burns as they pass.

[sblock=Actions]Minor: Curse Javelin 2.
Move: Move. So, you didn't say how high up Javelin 2 is, but if I can get past him without drawing an attack, I'd like to continue moving to N23 and gain concealment from Shadow Walk.
Standard: Vampiric Embrace Javelin 2. Wow, that's awful. Take a point to not expend the power.
Action Point: Vampiric Embrace Javelin 2. Hits Will 26 for 9 necrotic damage and 6 untyped, and Haruka gains 8 thp.
Granted Attack: Eldritch Blast Javelin 2. Hits Reflex 24 for 13 damage.

Does he have to make some sort of check to continue hanging on to the wall?[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka's mini-stats]Haruka Sato human warlock 5
Initiative: +3 | Passive perception: 11 | Passive Insight: 17
AC: 18 | For: 19
| Ref: 19 | Will: 18
HP: 36/51+8| Bloodied: 23 | Surge value: 11 | Surges: 10/10
Resist: 5 Necrotic, 5 Poison
Speed: 6 | Languages: Allarian, Tsugo
AP: 0 | Second Wind: not used
Melee Basic Attack: +5 vs AC, 1d6 damage
Ranged Basic Attack: +9 vs Reflex, 1d10+5 damage
Powers: Eldritch Blast, Hellish Rebuke, Eyes of the Vestige
Vampiric Embrace
Fiery Bolt

Flames of Phlegethos
Tyrannical Threat

Ethereal Stride

Deathcut Armor
Prison of Salzacas
Blackleaf Gloves

Conditions:[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC]In hindsight, Ashir should have been out of sight for the second volley since he was prone, but such pitiful rolls miss any target anyway.[/sblock]

[sblock=Haruka]Max is out of sight. You aren't benefitting from his combat presence class feature (the free attack).

Given the nature of the map, even once Max leave his hideout, be conscious of LOS because there could be plenty of instance when an AP is spent without being within LOS of Max.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Combat Presence]Beside needing LOS between Max and beneficiary, re-reading the class feature made me realize a few thing;

You are supposed to declare your intent to use Max's combat presence before an attack granted by an AP. You could choose to do without because of the potentially negative consequences of a miss.

If the AP is not used for an attack, you can't get the free attack/move. If you use it for an attack and miss, you do not get the free attack or free move, instead you concede combat advantage! You only get the free basic attack or Move if you hit with the AP attack.

I have a sneaking suspicion we played that wrong at least once in the past... I don't remember anyone ever not using the free attack or conceding combat advantage, yet I strongly doubt every single AP action led to an attack that hit!

From now on, in the text of your roll, specify that this is the AP attack and that you are (or not) using the combat presence feature. Then remember the consequences: Only a hit equal an additional free basic attack/move, a miss means you concede CA.

Like this

AP attack, Using Combat Presence, Tide of Iron vs Goon1 AC (1d20+11=14, 1d10+5=12)

And look at that, a miss.

PS: Ashir seems to have an edge at using Max's combat presence due to the fact he often attacks more than one target and therefore will miss entirely less often. Who'd have thought the Wizard gets more juice out of bravura than the paladin. Eh.

PPS: But then again, Ashir doesn't have a ranged basic attack.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

dimsdale

First Post
[sblock=combat presense]
Arrggg... What good is a warlord if he or she can't be seen? Sorry about that THB. Scoup is out of town until late May 31. I read that somewhere. Can Rakio or Max hit the barbarian trying to scale the wall? Is he within reach of our weapons. If so, should I roleplay Rakio or should we just wait.
[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Barbarian]The walls are just 10 feet (2 square) high. You sure can hit the barbarian.

I am pretty sure he concedes Combat Advantage while climbing too.
[/sblock]

dimsdale

First Post
Seeing the foe rush past, Max moves out of the pit, next to barbarian attempting to climb the wall. "Surprised to see me?" Max says mockingly as he thrusts his sword into the unprotected rib cage of the barbarian.

[sblock=actions]

I've made it just a basic attack

movement: see map
minor: none...sword drawn already
attack: brash attack vs ac: 1d20+9 + 2 (CA due to barbarian climbing) = 32 for 1d8+5 = 8

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC]My primary concern here is why are you running Raiko? Did he gives consent in some other thread?

Second point is, normally Raiko would use divine challenge with a minor action. That way the guy is marked when he attacks and he gets the extra 3 points of damage for holy strike.

Third, having no melee weapon drawn, the barbarian will definetely pass on making an attack against Max (it's not mandatory) and therefore Raiko will not get a free attack of his own (too bad it's a crit...).

I think a long while ago, in the first fight, I mentioned that you were to assume that every armed enemies would take the offered attack. That guy is currently unarmed so he doesn't swing. I might occasionnaly specify other type of enemies who won't take the free swing, such as wizard with sucky melee basic attack.

So to clarify in the current context: The Eladrin archers won't take the attack either, for instance, nor will the half orcs until they have drawn their battleaxe, at which point they gleefully will. Same for the barbarians. As soon as they are in position to make melee attack, they'll take any free shot offered.

PS: Combat advantage doesn't stack. You don't get it both from flanking and climbing. In this case it was irrelevant to the results, though.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases