Mearls is the new manager of D&D

Sammael

Adventurer
This changes absolutely nothing for me, since Mike's vision of what D&D should be is far, far away from my own. Still - best of luck and I'm sure he'll do what he believes is best for the brand.

Note that [early into the life- or development-cycle of 5th Edition], we will [probably] be wishing Mike well again, in a round of seemingly-random WotC layoffs. :(
FIFY. But you're probably right. So it goes.

The best we can hope for is that Mr Mearls has a good run while he's there, and that "the next guy" breathes as much life into the game as Mike does!

PS: Congratulations, good luck, and Godspeed, Mike!

malraux

First Post
Note that, in 4 years or less, we will be wishing Mike well again, in a round of seemingly-random WotC layoffs. :(

FWIW, this is pretty good evidence that WotC doesn't have a 5e planned for the immediate future. Now once Mearls leaves, that's probably the point I stop buying 4e books because 5e is going to be in development from that point on.

drothgery

First Post
FWIW, this is pretty good evidence that WotC doesn't have a 5e planned for the immediate future. Now once Mearls leaves, that's probably the point I stop buying 4e books because 5e is going to be in development from that point on.

Depends. If 5e is effectively 4.5 with new art and a different set of races and classes in PH1, then Mearls could easily have a lot to do with it.

lutecius

Explorer
Folks, be sure to see the warnings later in the thread before responding to this. Thanks. ~ PCat

I'm not a fan of what he's done to d&d so I can't say I'm thrilled.

at least i don't need to pay attention to new wotc products until the next guy steps in.

Last edited by a moderator:

SteveC

Doing the best imitation of myself
This is sort of mixed news for me. On the one hand, I'm happy, because Mike is a great guy and a fantastic designer.

On the other hand, it definitely means that the clock has started for him being let go from the company.

So, best of luck, enjoy the position for as long as you can hold onto it. I hope this means we'll have several more years of awesome D&D coming our way.

--Steve

Remove ads