Mearls is the new manager of D&D

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
First off, congrats on the new job. I wish you many long years at it at your own choosing.

I fully sympathize with your 2E feeling of void. It is probably very similar to what many of us felt with 4E.
I know I did, a feeling that D&D 'left me'.

I think the biggiest reason for it is in it's own conversion from prior editions to this current one (4e).
It takes some bearing with if you have the time or inclination to read.

Basic to 1E
Conversion pretty simple.
O look they added different classes for the races.
Dual Classing Humans / Multiclassing Demi-Humans
Charts and AC stayed the same, spells translated quite well.

1E to 2E
Straight forward conversion
Only real difference are now Proficiencies. And you lost a few classes Monk/Assasin.
This was a time of settings galore. Though it eventually doomed TSR, it can be rightly called both glory years and doom years in the later part.

2E to 3E
Spells translated comfortable enough.
AC goes up now. Well that makes since to most. -10AC was always a tough one to explain.
Proficiencies are now Skills are make a little more sense one difficulty checks.
Rolling High on everything is now considered good. Whereas prior editions was a mix mash of high or low depending what you were rolling for. 1's earned their rightful place in the Abyss and the 20's ruled from the Heavens.
A few name changes Thief to Rogue etc.

3E to 3.5E
No real change, just a few clarifications.

3.5E to 4E
Converting nightmare.
What the heck is a crushing blow for my fighter, why can't my 5th level Wizard cast Fireball blowing up a 20' radius for 5d6, wait what do you mean he is a controller now.
Shift/Pull/Push/etc

You can see how many of us were lost. While there are a few things I liked of 4E it fell into that realm of I didn't want to spend money on it. And I haven't. I've played it, had fun. But it isn't something I'm drawn in to playing willingly.

That is the hurdle you have before you. How to bring the ones like myself back into the fold.
I feel like I wouldn't do ya justice though if I didn't tell you the things I do like of it. It isn't a scrap it and start over that is needed.
1. LOVE the character builder. I wish I had one that robust for all the prior editions.
2. I really like the current method of Campaign Setting Delivery WotC is using. It allows the delve into us niches that love Darksun and other 'dead' settings. I like Darksun 2E a lot.
3. I like the removal of Vanican Spell Casting, though I miss it at the same time. The current mages feel more like sorcerors vice wizards.

I don't mind the game moving forward with itself, I think it just leapt too far forward at one time.

Now if you want a leap forward, 4E does lend itself greatly to a computer game especially if you incorporate the Character Builder into it. I think most of us would whole-heartedly gooble up a game that lets us build from scratch and play it.

I think the biggiest reason for it is in it's own conversion from prior editions to this current one (4e).

3E to 3.5E
No real change, just a few clarifications.

3.5E to 4E
Converting nightmare.
What the heck is a crushing blow for my fighter, why can't my 5th level Wizard cast Fireball blowing up a 20' radius for 5d6, wait what do you mean he is a controller now.
Shift/Pull/Push/etc
Part of why the conversion seems as difficult as is does is that you missed a step on your chart: the "hidden edition", called Tome of Battle, released towards the end of 3.5E. That book laid the groundwork for 4E, in part because it was a proto-design for 4E, converted back to 3.5E.

TheYeti1775

Adventurer
Part of why the conversion seems as difficult as is does is that you missed a step on your chart: the "hidden edition", called Tome of Battle, released towards the end of 3.5E. That book laid the groundwork for 4E, in part because it was a proto-design for 4E, converted back to 3.5E.

Many of us didn't allow Tome of Battle or Book of Nine Swords in our games. Also being as they were near the end of the life cycle of the edition, I would wager a guess their sales were more of the completionist and the I want to know all of it players vice your introductory players.

My comparission was more Core to Core, which brings in another thing for the new edition. Core is everything now. (Least IMHO)

You have to remember our hobby isn't a cheap buy in.
Even the 1E days wasn't a cheap buy in. Around $45 during those days for PHB/DMG/MM1, what is it nowadays about $100 for all 3? (I'm looking only at a store price not Amazon for this.)
Yes I know production cost and all that, but not withstanding, a C-note is still a C-note to a newb seeking to join our hobby.

Gothmog

First Post
Congrats Mike! I've enjoyed your work since you were writing 3PP stuff for 3e, and from what I've seen of those works and 4e, your vision and mine of D&D is very close. I know D&D will be in good hands with you- with someone that respects the roots and themes of the game (especially AD&D), but also wants to make the game accessible to new players and draw them in. I can tell you sir, that you have accomplished that mission! I've introduced more people to D&D with 4e than ANY other edition, and it just clicks for them- they seem to get it almost immediately and quickly come up with new and exciting ways to solve a problem many of us old hidebound D&D veterans seem to miss under the new edition.

That said, there are a couple of suggestions I'd like to make regarding 4e.

1. Please give us more adventures! The Slaying Stone is the sort of thing I'm talking about- 32 page adventures with a poster map. Adventures with an interesting, coherent plot, not the Delve-style stuff. Monsters and adversaries should make sense in the adventure, not just be there because a level 6 artillery is needed. Harken back to themes of exploration, danger, and mystery- much like many of the classic AD&D modules.

2. Please give us an original 4E campaign setting!!! I admit I'm not the biggest fant of Forgotten Realms or Eberron, although the Dark Sun setting this summer has me excited. But I know a lot of folks would LOVE to see an original 4e setting- something PoL, and my personal preference would be something dark fantasy. The new cosmology (which I love and find infinitely more accessible and compelling than the old one) begs for its own tailor-made setting.

3. The Character Builder and Adventure Tools are a godsend- they make adventure and campaign design easy and fun. I know WotC has to defend its IP, but having a way to enter in custom elements and have their mods calculated into the Character Builder would be awesome.

4. I'd love to see more background books like the Plane Above, Open Grave, etc. I know the Demonomicon is coming out this summer, but I'd love to see books devoted to the Feywild, Shadowfell, Far Realm/abberations, Devils, more about the Primordials/titans/giants and Dawn War, etc.

5. Finally, a 4e book like Unearthed Arcana would be awesome to see. Something with rules for long-term damage and healing, long-term conditions, and other optional rules.

Just keep on working the same magic you have been for the last two years with the D&D 4e brand. I truly think its the strongest and most robust system D&D has had so far, and would love to see it added onto and used as the basis for future editions. I know there are some loud detractors out there, but there are also a lot of folks who do love what WotC has done with 4e, and who appreciate your hard work! :)

malraux

First Post
You have to remember our hobby isn't a cheap buy in.
Even the 1E days wasn't a cheap buy in. Around $45 during those days for PHB/DMG/MM1, what is it nowadays about $100 for all 3? (I'm looking only at a store price not Amazon for this.)
Yes I know production cost and all that, but not withstanding, a C-note is still a C-note to a newb seeking to join our hobby.

Our hobby is really really cheap to buy in. Even assuming you have to buy the whole set at MSRP, when for most people they only need to buy the phb off of amazon ($23 bucks currently), that's still less than the cost of two games for a console. 10-20 hours is pretty good for a console game, whereas the DnD books will give many more hours of entertainment. Moreover, you can share that entertainment across 4-6 people, yielding a very good cost per hour per person entertainment result.

Mad Zagyg

Explorer
As time went on, that feeling only increased. There were bright spots, most notably Dungeon magazine, but a lot of the stuff TSR put out didn't really speak to why I fell in love with D&D in the first place. I wanted to love D&D, but it wasn't really clear that the company behind D&D wanted to return that love.

I actually stopped playing D&D for a few years. I ran a grand total of one (terrible) campaign in college. I wasn't really sure that D&D was something I'd be involved with anymore. I bought a PS 1 and started playing lots of console games. I ended up sticking with RPGs, but I kept to games like Deadlands and Unknown Armies.

Irony.

Congratulations on your promotion, though!

Doug McCrae

Legend
Not just Tome of Battle. Reserve feats in Complete Mage presage at-will powers, as does the warlock in Complete Arcane. Phased monster fights in MMIV. The Knight in PHB2 is a defender, able to force enemies to fight him rather than another PC. Star Wars Saga Edition is the real 4e precursor though - big wodge of hp at level 1, static defences replace saves, simplified skills (no skill points, they all give a +5 bonus instead.

Nikosandros

Golden Procrastinator
Our hobby is really really cheap to buy in. Even assuming you have to buy the whole set at MSRP, when for most people they only need to buy the phb off of amazon ($23 bucks currently), that's still less than the cost of two games for a console. 10-20 hours is pretty good for a console game, whereas the DnD books will give many more hours of entertainment. Moreover, you can share that entertainment across 4-6 people, yielding a very good cost per hour per person entertainment result.
This is all true, but on the flip side, a console game can be played without further effort once it is purchased, while all those hours of RPG require preparation and a much stronger commitment. Still, it is true that it is a cheap hobby... :)

Not just Tome of Battle. Reserve feats in Complete Mage presage at-will powers, as does the warlock in Complete Arcane. Phased monster fights in MMIV. The Knight in PHB2 is a defender, able to force enemies to fight him rather than another PC. Star Wars Saga Edition is the real 4e precursor though - big wodge of hp at level 1, static defences replace saves, simplified skills (no skill points, they all give a +5 bonus instead.
Good points! I believe you are correct; obviously there was a heck of a lot going on between 2003 (3.5E) and 2008 (4E) that's hard to appreciate in a "0.5" difference.

I'm not certain, but I think that Mike Mearls was involved in a lot of this. IIRC, the first time I noticed his name was a Design & Development article on the WotC website, where he was talking about "the problem with Ogre Mages". I think this is around where I saw the first discussions about the design philosophy that would turn out to be behind 4E. At any rate, I'm confident that Mr Mearls is the right guy for the job.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases