Genius Guide to the Archon

Dark Mistress

First Post
This product is 9 pages long with 1 page for OGL.

d10, 2 skill, full BaB, all simple and 2 martial weapons(of choice), light armor and shields. Can cast with no spell failure in light armor.

This class functions like a wizard IE needs a spell book and memorizes spells. It gets fewer spells per level and only learns up to level 6 spells, but learns new spell levels at the same rate as wizards. It has it's own spell list. As the Archon levels they start learning to cast in better armor lowering the failure chance. It is not clear if they learn to wear the armor or still need to spend a feat on them.

It gets a few class abilities like Arcane Surge that allows the Archon to cast a spell as a swift action that normally was a standard action once per day(more times as they level)

Soul of the spellblade - this allows a Archon to cast a touch attack but not use it yet. The following round or up to 6 rounds later they can make a touch attack with their weapon. Doing the weapons attack and they spells attack if the melee attack hits. The Archon must decided when to use this and if the attack misses the spell is gone.

Rivenspell - It is a ability to sacrifice a spell to use one of the rivenspell abilities. I love the concept of this, my big compliant is that while at low levels it is great it doesn't really scale well. I don't see most using many of the abilities and fewer and fewer as they level. I wish this had been more of a major focus of the class and scaled a bit better.

Closing thoughts, taken as a whole it is a interesting take on the gish concept of a arcane casting fighter. I like a lot of the idea's and loved the Rivenspell ability. If you like Gish classes I recommend this to buy.

Remove ads