Funny "How you started gaming" stories

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
This is not a story about how I started RPG playing. It is, however, about someone I knew about 17 years ago, and funny enough to tell here. If anyone else has funny "start to the RPG habit" stories, please feel free to post them here.

My friend was Asian, and about 15 years old. I say he is Asian for a reason, which you will see shortly.

His mother emigrated to America from Taiwan, I believe. She was very concerned about her son, and his intellectual development and ability to suceed later in life.

She read a magazine article that said that first generation Asian kids suffer most in America from a lack of imagination. Apparently this article said that first generation Asians often achieved middle-management positions, but rarely achieve the executive positions in a large company due to a lack of imagination and ability to adapt and envision future problems and opportunities. The article claimed this was a product of Asian culture (sounds like crap to me, but that is the claim the article made).

So his concerned mother went out to find products for her son to develop his imagination. She came across 1st edition AD&D, read that it fostered imagination, and bought him a bunch of the books. She then brought it all home and INSISTED he go find people to play it with. He was required to play it once a week, by his mother, with friends at his house.

Can you imagine - your parents INSISTING you play D&D, as if it was a homework assignment? It was very odd from my perspective at the time I recall.

arwink

Clockwork Golem
This wasn't the beginning of gaming, but my friends and I were required to play every week for a few months while my mother researched our social dynamic for her masters.

It was interesting research in the end too.

Drawmack

First Post

I always excelled at math (until I got into that theoretical crap that doesn't use numbers) in school. By the age of 8 I could add, subtract, multiply and divide in my head very rapidly.

My oldest brother began taking me to his gaming sessions as ''the calculator''. After about a month I had a firmer handle on mechanics then they did and the rest as they say is history.

Frostmarrow

First Post
Drawmack said:

My oldest brother began taking me to his gaming sessions as ''the calculator''. After about a month I had a firmer handle on mechanics then they did and the rest as they say is history.

Cool. Nice bro.

alsih2o

First Post
my grandmother bought me my first set of books when i was10-11 under the impression that they were "how-too" books on drawing dragons and such. i am now 33 and still a gamer, when i mention gaming my grandmother (nana) still thinks i mean drawing dragons-"are you and your friends still getting together to pratice?"

Siridar

First Post
I rarely did my math homework assignments in JHS. So my teacher called mom. I got reprimanded. I needed to do some extra credit for math class before I failed. Extra credit: make a game using math. At the time the only thing I knew about D&D was from the cartoon. I started working on my little boardgame when one of my buddies found out what I was working on. He helped me out and in order to "correctly" create a D&Dish game I needed to do some research. Our extra credit work sessions started to involve learning the actual game.

Next thing I know, 12 years later, I'm still playing. Just a newer version.

Oh, and I passes that math class and did my math homework every day after that. :D

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases