NPC cannon fodder - need specifc foe!

incognito

First Post
I have a Ogre with one level of fighter (CR3). He needs a buddy, and here is why.

his two bonus feats are Combat Reflexes and Dual Strike (S & F).

Dual strike has a BAB requirement of +3, and Combat reflexes as a pre-req.

If two combatants have this feat, they both gain a +4, rather than a +2 flanking bonus when they flank an opponent.

THE PROBLEM: I need a CR3 opponent, with one level or Rogue that has the following feats: Power Attack, Combat Reflexes and Dual strike.

This oppoent must be one who would travel with Orcs, and Ogres.

I can't seem to get all three (CR3, all three feats, and a level of rogue).

Anyone know of a monster that is CR1, with +2 BAB, that has Power Attack as it's feat?

Last edited:

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Well, you could go with a krenshar (since intelligent monsters can gain class levels) if you swapped out the Multi-attack in favor of the Powet Attack and gave it a slightly above average Strength than for its kind. Or maybe an evil pseudodragon. Or if you really wanted to stretch it, maybe a wyrmling white dragon or kua-tua. With nearly all of these, you're going to have to be willing boost the Strength and do some feat exchanges.

CCamfield

First Post
Well maybe this is blindingly obvious, or dumb, but what about an orc/half-orc/evil human/similar with some class levels? Assuming a normal level equivalent, a level 3 NPC would be CR 3, and could be Fighter 1/Rogue 2, giving 1 fighter feat and 2 others.

Hand of Evil

Hero
Epic
I would go for golbin or such, make him a rogue. The differents in size will make add to their appearance, their nature and such.

Was there not a feat somewhere for teamwork? Basicly they get plus for working together. This could be any skill that they share, like bluff.

incognito

First Post
Cam_ and Hand of_

The problem is the BAB (has to be +3) a L2 fighter/L1 Rogue has a BAB of only +2

Psy_Jim: you are SO on the right track - they needent be humanoiod, that's for sure - but Kren's Are always Neutral, and none too bright - usually they advance by HD only.

Ok guys, that being said AM I being too much of a RBDM to use a warrior2/fighter1/rogue1 Orc?

since NPC classes count as -1 CR this would technically make him a CR3.

Too cheaty?

Psychotic Jim

First Post
The Ftr1/Rog1/War2 orc idea sounds good, as long as you don't give him too much gear, maybe just enought for an NPC of 2nd or 3rd level in the DMG.

As for other alternatives, what other monster books do you have besides the MM? Any of the various ratmen from the Creature Collections might go well with the ogre. And the dekanter goblin or chitine from Monsters of Faerun also match your requirements.

Last edited:

Talen

First Post
A possible route

I'd suggest a Shadovig (from Dragon Magazine 299), with triple the hit dice it has (which would triple its size to small). Pity that the advancement block doesn't state as much, since it has sneak attack automatically.

A warrior level tacked onto a grimlock or orc won't add to its CR; I'd recommend you go with goblin, though.

Goblin Warrior 2/Rogue 2 (CR 3). You get only one two feats, and strength will be an issue. But with the two levels of rogue, you get evasion and more skills - which can be quite handy.

If you wanna be really cheesy, a Thri-Kreen with an Int of 14 (needs a roll of 16) can have 3 feats at CR 1.

Remove ads