Malazan Book of the Fallen [Recruiting: M&M 2nd Ed]

Friday

First Post
Your character seems fine, we just need to flesh out his (or her) background a bit. We can do that once a few more people get involved, because I'd like all the players to know each other in some manner - so your character could be some soldier of fortune who is in Kindle for some reason at the time we start the game.

Friday

First Post
Your character seems fine, we just need to flesh out his (or her) background a bit. We can do that once a few more people get involved, because I'd like all the players to know each other in some manner - so your character could be some soldier of fortune who is in Kindle for some reason at the time we start the game.

Ideally, I'd like them to have some sort of link to one of the Houses of Kindle - perhaps as a trained soldier, you might be a hired bodyguard for one of the rich merchants?
Also, with regard to your magic items - these would be 'aspected' in some way, that is aligned to a particular 'warren' which is the magic of this setting. Going by the idea of it potentially being cursed, I reckon such things would be aspected to a particular god or Ascendant, maybe one that offered a one-sided bargain to the character at one time in his/her past and has since been tormenting them. These are just some ideas of course, which we can firm up before the game gets going proper - which I hop it can soon!

Cheers

Voda Vosa

First Post
All those seems like neat ideas for the items. I was thinking myself the character might have found them in some of those warrens, or in a temple of some forgotten god. As for background, I'm new to the setting so I'll like for other players to join and make something in groups as you suggested.

Voda Vosa

First Post
I think that introducing some rule basics would be nice, like Power level, or the general idea of the adventure, as "The group will be involved around a series of strange events, that will eventually lead to a confrontation with the Empire, and Empress herself." something like that. You should also state if it will be a heavy role play game, or a more combat oriented game. These things help you get player's attention.
Just my two cents.

VV

Walking Dad

First Post
Saw that VV used more points. Here is a lower power version, but can easily adjusted to 125 PP.

PL 5 Sorcerer

STR 12 +1
DEX 12 +1
CON 14 +2
INT 18 +4
WIS 18 +4
CHA 14 +2

TOUGHNESS +6 (+3 without Shield Bracelet Device)
FORTITUDE +7
REFLEX +6
WILL +11

Skills
Bluff 6 (+8), Concentration 9 (+13), Craft (chemical) 6 (+10), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge (arcane lore) 9 (+13), Knowledge (business) 4 (+8), Knowledge (civics) 6 (+10), Notice 4 (+8), profession (mercenary) 4 (+8), Ride 4 (+5), Search 4 (+8), Stealth 4 (+5), Survival 4 (+8)

Feats
Accurate Attack, Artificer, Attack Focus 4 (spells), Defensive Roll 1, Power attack, Ritualist, Taunt Equipment: dagger (+1 damage), ritual accoutrements

Powers
Device 1 (Shield Bracelet, hard to lose)
Shield Bracelet: Force Field 3, Shield 2

Sorcery 8 (choose 5 Alternate Powers)

Paths
Telas (Fire)
Meanas (Shadow, Illusion)

Sorcery APs:
Insubstantial 2 (action: move)
Invisibility 8
Blast (Fire) 4 (area: burst, Selective attack)
Fire Control 8
Illusion 6 (audial, visual, progression (area), selective)

Super-Senses 1 (magical awareness)

Combat
Attack +2 (melee), +2 (ranged), + 6 (spells), Grapple +3
Damage+2 (dagger), +4 (blast)
Defense +4 (+2 without Shield Bracelet, +1 flat-footed)
Initiative +1

Drawbacks
Power Loss (Sorcery, when unable to speak or perform gestures, –2 points)

Abilities 26 + Skills 17 (68 ranks) + Feats 10 + Powers 14 + Combat 8 + Saves 17 – Drawbacks 2 = 90

Sorcery is from the Wizards and Warlocks Source Book.
Effective, it is Magic with with the Flaw: Side Effect (Fatigue, Always Occurs) –2.

Using Magic instead of Sorcery would change total PP to 98

Friday

First Post
@VV
Those are some really helpful pointers! Thanks! I wanted to set the PL at 5 because I don't want the players to start off too powerful, obviously the characters will be more than average but I want them to have some room to grow.
I intend for the game to be RP-orientated, there will be combat and whatnot but I like to be more about investigation and interaction, within the framework of the MM rules.
The story will take place, initially in Kindle where the players all know each other and will have some reason or stake in the city and hence want to protect it from Malazan incursion. Once we have maybe one or two more people together, I can flesh this out with a starting point properly.

@WD
Welcome and thanks for taking an interest! Your character looks fine, apart from that mages in this setting have access to only one Warren (in most cases anyway, there are those who can access more but I will limit you to one for the time being), so can I have you pick either Telas or Meanas? Other than that, you've implemented the magic system the way I had in mind for this system so that's brilliant! Have you ever read any of these books, by the way? Its not necessary, so don't worry if you haven't!

Thanks guys!

I don't know how you feel about this, but if I've you two so far we can make a start - or would you rather we hold out for one more soul?

N

Walking Dad

First Post
Miscalculated. Changing Sorcery to magic will bring me to 102 PP.

No, I don't know more about the world than that what you posted. Will have to choose Telas for offensive fun and work out some alternate spells. Is there a hard PP limit?

Power Levels
Offensive 5
Defensive 5
Power Points (102) 7

---

I got an alternate mechanic idea for spell casting in your world (adapted from Ultimate Power and Wizards & Warlocks):

Warren Mastery
Effect: Variable
Action: Full Round
Range: Self
Duration: Continuous
Cost: 5 points per rank
Saving Throw: None

You have access to a warren, allowing you to possess a variety of powers. Each rank in Warren Mastery gives you 5 power points to spend on powers. You can re-allocate these points by using a full-round action.
The Gamemaster must approve allocations of your Warren Mastery points, and you remain limited by power level and appropriate descriptors (Telas, Meanas, ...), but you can otherwise divide up and allocate your points as you see fit.

If this is ok, I would change my above character and rebuild his power section.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases