Malazan Book of the Fallen [Recruiting: M&M 2nd Ed]

Friday

First Post
That way of managing Warrens seems like a good idea, I think we should go with that - obviously I can impose limits on how the power is used because there are limits in terms of what a particular Warren is capable of and an individual practitioner.

So, if you want to go ahead and re-work that part of the character then we're good to go!

Just let me know if you guys are happy to start up.

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Friday;
VV has been encouraging me to check this out, but I was busy all weekend. I tried to get a handle on the setting, but need more time to make some sense of it, sorting through the different names.

Unless VV and WD are really itching to get rolling, I can maybe work something out this week. But I am new to M&M (even newer than WD). I skimmed through the 2nd Core rules and realized it is a little different from d20, but nothing I cannot learn quickly.

To help me get started faster, a recommended character build or two would be good. Better to play something that complements the other two guys I think. It would be easier for me to make some modifications as I go through the recommended character than start completely from scratch. The sample characters in the core rules don't appear to match the setting.

Friday

First Post
Hi there Perrin, thanks for taking an interest as well!

That's cool - judging by what the other guys have come up with, I could whip up a rough character build for you to look at for inspiration that matches them and fits with the setting.

Let me direct you to the Malazan Wiki which contains a vast amount of information on the setting - not necessarily all of which your character would be aware but I can give you a primer on what your character specifically would know.

Leave that with me today and I'll put something together for you - we're not in any great hurry, but once you're happy with the system then we'll go ahead and make a start.

Cheers!

perrinmiller

Adventurer
No problem. Tonight I hope to read through this thread a 3rd time and maybe something more will stick in the noggin. :p The Wiki will probably help.

I have pretty much wrapped up my other character building so I can focus on my DM stuff. Somewhere in there I can hopefully take a look at this Malazan stuff.

EDIT: Just reread the beginning. Okay, I think I get it. This isn't X-Men, but more like D&D on steroids. I should be able to figure a build recommendation and tailor it for my style.

Last edited:

Walking Dad

First Post
Teth Narkil

PL 6 Fire Sorcerer

STR 12 +1
DEX 12 +1
CON 16 +3
INT 18 +4
WIS 18 +4
CHA 14 +2

TOUGHNESS +7 (+4 without Shield Bracelet Device)
FORTITUDE +8
REFLEX +6
WILL +11

Skills
Bluff 8 (+10), Concentration 9 (+14), Craft (alchemical) 6 (+10), Diplomacy 4 (+6), Knowledge (business) 4 (+8), Knowledge (civics) 6 (+10), Knowledge (The Warrens) 11 (+15), Notice 8 (+12), profession (mercenary) 4 (+8), Ride 4 (+5), Search 4 (+8), Sense Motive 4 (+8), Stealth 4 (+5), Survival 4 (+8)

Feats
Accurate Attack, Artificer, Attack Focus 4 (spells), Defensive Roll 1, Improved Initiative, Power attack, Ritualist, Taunt
Equipment: dagger (+1 damage), ritual accouterments

Powers
Device 1 (Shield Bracelet, hard to lose)
Shield Bracelet: Force Field 3, Shield 2

Warren Mastery (Telas) 8

Super-Senses 1 (magical awareness)

Combat
Attack +3 (melee), +3 (ranged), + 7 (spells), Grapple +4
Damage+2 (dagger), +varies (various fire based attacks)
Defense +5 (+3 without Shield Bracelet, +1 flat-footed)
Initiative +1

Drawbacks
Power Loss (Warren Mastery Powers, when unable to speak or perform gestures, –2 points)

Abilities 28 + Skills 20 (80 ranks) + Feats 11 + Powers 54 + Combat 12 + Saves 17 – Drawbacks 2 = 140

[sblock=Warren Mastery]
Warren Mastery
Effect: Variable
Action: Full Round
Range: Self
Duration: Continuous
Cost: 5 points per rank
Saving Throw: None

You have access to a warren, allowing you to possess a variety of powers. Each rank in Warren Mastery gives you 5 power points to spend on powers. You can re-allocate these points by using a full-round action.
The Gamemaster must approve allocations of your Warren Mastery points, and you remain limited by power level and appropriate descriptors (Telas, Meanas, ...), but you can otherwise divide up and allocate your points as you see fit.
[/sblock]

Attachments

• Teth.JPG
    Teth.JPG
    42.7 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:

perrinmiller

Adventurer
Friday; I think somewhere in the opening post you should mention that Malazan is an epic fantasy setting. Even though I do read fantasy, I had never heard of the books before so other people might not as well. Once I realized that (right on the opening page of the Wiki, thanks BTW.) everything clicked into place. My first time reading it I was half asleep and was thinking about everything from an M&M perspective with superheroes, thus I was completely confused.

Anyway knowing this, how about an Archer/Scout type, along the lines of an Arcane Archer with more stealth? Still no clue how to build it, but would that be a good idea?

Voda Vosa

First Post
I think it would, at least from an "only-mechanic" point of view. I could make up something like that. Perhaps in a while I'll have something for you.
But first answer some questions:
Source of power: From a magical item? From an ancient ritual? Is the character some sort of special individual?
Strong points: Is the character nimble and agile, able to dodge attacks, but of weak constitution? Or on the contrary he's stout and resilient as brick wall and as mobile?
Weaknesses: Has he an Achilles ankle? a weak point that he hides, a criptonite?

Friday

First Post
@WD:
Can I have you change your Knowledge (Arcane Lore) to Knowledge (The Warrens)? And your Craft (Chemical) to Craft (Alchemical)? I know, verges on semantics but it keeps the setting in mind. :) But looking good!

@Perrin:
What about an assassin-type? There's room in the group, and certainly there's the context of where your characters will be starting out - Kindle, the city you all will begin in, has a 'House of Blades' which is an assassin's guild. I drew up some template ideas for characters, if you'd still like me to forward them on to you?

Ta

perrinmiller

Adventurer
I was going to suggest an Assassin type too. Not too long ago I read the Brent Weeks Fantasy Trilogy and it was good.

I will try to work out the build, but we get 125 PP, so I will need to figure out what else to spend points on. Give me a day or two to digest and research.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases