Evocative City Sites: Bedlam Asylum

Dark Mistress

First Post
This product is 26 pages long. First two pages is cover and credits.

Chapter 1 - Bedlam Asylum (4 pages)
This section starts with a map of the Asylum and introduction. This is done IC from the point of view of someone looking into the Asylum. There is a short bit of IC information about Mother Sharlene Murrell and Brother Broomore, including a secret about each. It finishes with 4 short adventure hooks.

Chapter 2 – NPC's (6 pages)
"Mother Sharlene Murrell" and Tansy (her black “cat”(2 pages including 2 nice, social feats for aristocrats)
"Brother Broomore" (2 pages)
"Railee McGee" (half a page)
"Doyenne Murrell" (1 page)
It also mentions 4 notable inmates. (half a page)

It finishes with 1 page of OGL, final page is a ad for 101 1st level spells, and the rest of the pages are blown up maps for mini's for the rest of the product.

Closing thoughts. The art work is fair and all public domain. The writing is good, as is the editing and layout. Much as we have come to expect from Rite Publishing. It is a interesting location, but I felt this book has similar issues to the Warehouse. In that there is not enough advice given to GM's to use it. A page on the types of experiments being done would have went a long way. You can guess the goals of Mother Murrell but not how she is going about it. Which leaves the work up to the GM and if you have curious players something you will likely need to figure out first.

My final and biggest issue with this book is Tansy the cat. No stats are given for him. Only a name of what kind of creature it is, with no book or page number reference I could find. My guess is the Tome of Horrors as it is referenced in the OGL. Which would make it a Beast of Chaos template. But honestly that's only a guess. So I am giving this a 3.75, mostly because of Tansy and I felt it needed a bit more information before you could just drop it into a existing campaign.

Qwillion

First Post
I wanted to thank Dark Mistress for taking the time to do a review of our product,

Just a note about Tany the Chaos Beast. Chaos Beast is a Core 3.5/3.0 OGL monster from the Monster Manual, this was a failure on the authors, editors and my part as the publisher that we did not realize it was not part of the Pathfinder Bestiary, I will see about having a updated version created as a web enhancement for free my apologies.

Steve Russell
Rite Publishing

Dark Mistress

First Post
Ah ok, that makes sense. To be fair I only checked the Pathfinder Bestiary and couldn't find it. So i thought it came from another source. No worries.

Remove ads