Who's Hype for Dark Sun???

According to this post over at the WotC forums, the Dark Sun pre-gens should soon be available on WotC's Event Downloads page. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I was just flipping through some old Dark Sun stuff... I can see them not allowing Divine power source classes.

From what's been posted here, divine power is absent in Dark Sun by default, as it should be.
(However, I can see refluffed/modified avengers in service to sorcerer-kings, just change "radiant" to "necrotic".)

DracoSuave

First Post
I actually prefer the term 'goliath' to 'half-giant.' Really, the goliath goes 'I am huge' where half-giant says 'I'm not quite huge, but almost huge.'

Really tho, if they were to make a half-giant race, they'd probably just be reinventing the wheel anyways. Easier just to stick a goliath in there and be done with it.

Not to mention, my gut tells me that goliaths were invented in 3.x as non-athasian half giants so that people who wanted to play Half-Giants had something to play.

As for excluding Divine power and gnomes, and what not, they'll probably do it in the typical 4ed fashion. They'll say the base campaign does not include those elements, write all the fluff as if those elements are there, and then throw in the obligatory 'But it's your game do what you want' blurb that they need to toss into every book to appease the groups who don't realize that's always present by default anyways.

mgbeach

Explorer
According to this post over at the WotC forums, the Dark Sun pre-gens should soon be available on WotC's Event Downloads page. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

From what's been posted here, divine power is absent in Dark Sun by default, as it should be.
(However, I can see refluffed/modified avengers in service to sorcerer-kings, just change "radiant" to "necrotic".)

Here's a little early Christmas present for ya :) Not sure if that's exactly what you're talking about, but found it online earlier today in my random searchings

Attachments

• DarkSunPregen.pdf
    405.3 KB · Views: 143

Argyle King

Legend
I'm just wholly unable to comprehend the appeal of this setting. I'm not so sick of traditional fantasy that I need something like this on my shelf.

Ick. No thanks; I'll give it a miss.

I think there are enough 4E players asking for a more gritty experience that Dark Sun will probably do fairly well.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I'm just wholly unable to comprehend the appeal of this setting. I'm not so sick of traditional fantasy that I need something like this on my shelf.

Dark Sun was created back in 2Ed because enough people back then wanted to get away from traditional fantasy. Its probably the most successful non-traditional campaign setting in 2Ed except for Spelljammer. In some ways, Dark Sun is kind of like the pulp stories featuring John Carter of Mars or Eric John Stark of Skaith, but still within the boundaries of fantasy as opposed to going full-on sword & planet.

Why it never got more than a cursory 3.X treatment is beyond me, but the fact remains that there is an audience for this. I'm not even a fan of 4Ed, and I'll be buying some part of the newest version of Dark Sun.

In a sense, instead of not buying it because its 4Ed, I'm buying it because it is Dark Sun.

renau1g

First Post

....and I don't understand people who go and post in a thread asking people to post their excitement for this setting dropping by with this kind of post. If you're not interested, fine, but why post that here? No point...

As an aside, I really want to play in Athas again...can't wait :)

I hope they include Kanks and Inix.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
Well, in all fairness, the thread IS titled "Who's Hype for Dark Sun??", which to my eye means its open for negative commentary.

ArmoredSaint isn't Hype for Dark Sun.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases