Who's Hype for Dark Sun???

mgbeach

Explorer
Bah! Whadda you know? :p Eberron is the 3rd/4th (depending on how you count them) coolest official D&D setting ever printed, and the coolest "general" (as in non-themed) D&D setting every printed.

So are you going with Al Qadim, Dark Sun and Ravenloft ahead of Eberron? I'd probably agree with that.

So are you going with Al Qadim, Dark Sun and Ravenloft ahead of Eberron? I'd probably agree with that.

*ding, ding, ding!*

Got it in one. :)

(That's why I said 3rd or 4th. I love Ravenloft, but I prefer to use it as either a setting for mini-campaigns only, or as an array of locations to mine for other uses, rather than as a full-fledged "whole" campaign setting.)

Danzauker

Adventurer
Nothing.

What she did never happened.

No sorcerer-kings were killed by her, nor was there a 'Rajaat'.

Ignore what I said.

Or in fact, any of the novels.

Except for the one where Kalak died, that's okay.

Quote all, except for the last point.

I'd still very much prefer all sorcerer-kings to be alive in the default setting. Meh, that's what I'll do.

Oh,I'm also quite disappointed of half-gients being Medium. I really don't like that. Goliath could at MOST be quarter-giants, not half. Half-giants MUST be large, even if that means reintroducing equivalent levels or make them a NPC race.

I'm overall overly happy about Dark Sun's return.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Well, medium Half-giants is a mark of 4E on the setting. For better or worse. I am curious (and a little apprehensive) about what other ones are lurking out there.

Scribble

First Post
Oh,I'm also quite disappointed of half-gients being Medium. I really don't like that. Goliath could at MOST be quarter-giants, not half. Half-giants MUST be large, even if that means reintroducing equivalent levels or make them a NPC race.

Just out of curiosity how come?

I mean size ranges in D&D aren't really super accurate. Since a lot of giants are "large" I'm ok with 1/2 giants being on the higher end of medium.

Danzauker

Adventurer
Just out of curiosity how come?

I mean size ranges in D&D aren't really super accurate. Since a lot of giants are "large" I'm ok with 1/2 giants being on the higher end of medium.

Yes, I know they are. And in 4e they are even less accurate (they got rid of Colossal, after all).

But if dwarves are on the low end of Medium, and "regular" goliath are on the high end of Medium, I'd really wish half-giants to be on the lower end of Large.

I don't care what race you reskin to start from, but in my mind can't cope with a half-giant that's smaller than an ogre. :p

I think the single most defining characteristic of the race was its sheer size. I really though it was time to experiment with Large size playable races, expecially in a non standard setting like Dark Sun.

Yes, I know they are. And in 4e they are even less accurate (they got rid of Colossal, after all).
Untrue. Colossal doesn't exist as a category anymore, sure, but creatures of that size definitely still exist. They're just called "Gargantuan" now. Gargantuan is anything bigger than Huge, with no upper limit.

But if dwarves are on the low end of Medium, and "regular" goliath are on the high end of Medium, I'd really wish half-giants to be on the lower end of Large.

I don't care what race you reskin to start from, but in my mind can't cope with a half-giant that's smaller than an ogre. :p

I think the single most defining characteristic of the race was its sheer size. I really though it was time to experiment with Large size playable races, expecially in a non standard setting like Dark Sun.
I don't buy it. Too much balance will have to be thrown out the window to include Large player races. (Hell, too much has to be thrown out to even just allow Large weapons.) As soon as Large PC race became available, you can bet your butt that nearly every melee build on the CharOp boards will have been updated to use the new Large race, because Large will almost certainly allow Large weapons and reach, which are extremely beneficial.

As far as I'm concerned, Goliaths will be a fine substitute for Half-Giants. What role does one play that the other doesn't? Goliaths are "the big race" now. These races would be redundant together. Just pretend your Goliath is 10' tall if that's what you need in order to be happy with him.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases