Adventure: Into the Wild

modest

First Post
[sblock=Virtual Battlemat] Login name- Ibram

View attachment ibram gaunt.dnd4e

images.jpg[/sblock]

OOC: can we mark the enemies somehow so we can indicate which one do we attack without going "that one between A and B"

Nementah accepts the thorns and stops struggling, this being barely something new for her considering her native swamp. Moving plants and swarms or insects, it's like home!

Now to clear the field a bit.
"Primera, come to me! Protect those!" Nementah indicates Abigail, Ibram and Dante

As unicorn manifests it's shiny hide translucent, people close to it feel more sure of themselves as if no harm can come to them.

It then lashes with it's horn, but the attack passes through the plant without snagging anything.

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: Call Spirit Companion (unicorn token) - all allies adjacent have +1 NADs
Standard: Protecting strike vs. twig blight Will (1d20+4=12, 1d8+4=6) between A and M (assuming Abigail and Ibram (modest)) - miss, no hp gained
Move: Primera moves into newly freed square - that's what you get when you write before rolling

Free: Save vs. Immobilize (1d20=17) - why couldn't this be attack?!
[/sblock]

[sblock=Spirit Companion - please read]
- SC cannot flank
- enemies cannot pass through it's square
- you treat it as an ally meaning you can pass through it's square, but cannot end the move in it
- if you're adjacent you gain +1 to NADs
- if you're adjacent you gain +4 hp when you spend healing surge (including second wind)

- SC doesn't provoke OAs by moving
- if enemy moves away SC attacks with OA (Spirit's Shield)
- SC cannot be damaged except by melee or ranged attacks so fire away with your areas and bursts
[/sblock]

QUESTION: reading ther rules, SC cannot flank, but if Nementah has CA against the target spirit gets +2 to attack (as it's actually Nementah attacking). Now, there is a part where I'm not sure if it applies: since I determine Line of sight and Line of effect from SC, does attacking with the spirit from flanking position gives CA (+2 to hit) as if Nementah stood there, but only for spirit attacks (which originate from flanking position)?

I ask because above attack would hit with +2 and it will come up fairly often in play...

Last edited:

FourMonos

First Post
Renqust clears the barricade easily, the heavy platemail not slowing his ascent. He lands safely on the other side, but quickly finds himself tangled in the park's vines.

He draws his blade from over his back, but the heavy vines obstruct his movements. As the blade comes free, he attempts to clear the offending foilage....

[sblock=Attack] 1d20+6, 1d10+3 → ([4, 6], [9,3]) Roll Lookup [/sblock]

... and misses. Drawing upon his inner energy, he focuses his energy and threat upon the twig creature to the east. Light seems to darken around Renquist. The twig creature feels a sense of doom, that either it or the humanoid must fall.

[sblock=Actions] Renquist draws his greatsword, misses attack, and divine challenge placed on Twig Blight east of himself, south of Nementah. Hoping to prevent flanking the shamen. Tyring to post picture below [/sblock]

126630_CN_lr_web_TH.jpg

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=OOC]FourMonos, I know you said you're new to 4e, so I thought I'd mention that you always want to say what type of attack you are making. You pretty much always want to use an at-will power, unless there is something preventing you from doing so. If nothing else, you want to say "I make a melee basic attack against..." There's no such thing as "I attack" in 4e...[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=OOC]FourMonos, I know you said you're new to 4e, so I thought I'd mention that you always want to say what type of attack you are making. You pretty much always want to use an at-will power, unless there is something preventing you from doing so. If nothing else, you want to say "I make a melee basic attack against..." There's no such thing as "I attack" in 4e...[/sblock]

[sblock=ooc] Gotcha IS. The attack was meant to be a melee basic attack, as no benefit would come from the at-will as far as I can tell against the minion. [/sblock]

modest

First Post
[sblock=OOC] When do the rest of us go, after the first round of enemies? Also, Mal did you add me to battlemat yet? Just wondering, no rush.:erm:[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
The thorn bushes go in a frenzy and are worse than Pirahnas. The entire crew are cut and bruised by the poisonous vines.

The swarm of ant has a mystical quality to it and an alluring song is emitted in concert by the miniature critters. The magic is directed at Renquist but the undead paladin is deaf and unmoved to their enticements. The swarm then moves to towaard and are crawling all over Abigail.

The crazy lady howls in laughter, then sends a powerful magic missiles Ibram's way before dropping to the ground. Apparently, crazy and self-preservation aren't mutually exclusive.

[sblock=OOC]
SC can't flank. If SC and an ally are surrounding an enemy, there is no flanking bonus for either spirit attacks or the ally.

However, if Nementah is flanking an enemy with an ally, she gets flanking bonus even with a spirit attack originating from a 'non-flanking' square.

That's my ruling, anyway. *hammer falls*

PS: What Nature's aspect have you chosen for the encounter? (You'll need to call it after every rest, remember)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions]
Thorn blight

After a bit of shuffle (only shifts), they all have at least one flanking option.

Thorn bushes, 1-2:Nementah 3-4:Renquist 5-6:Abigail 7-8:Rocco 9:Ibram 10:Dante (1d20+6+2=24, 1d20+6+2=25, 1d20+6+2=18, 1d20+6+2=22, 1d20+6+2=22, 1d20+6+2=28, 1d20+6+2=22, 1d20+6+2=12, 1d20+6+2=26, 1d20+6+2=22)

Dmg is 2 or 3 with CA. So 3. Poison dmg, in case someone has a resistance.

Nemantah, Renquist and Abigail hit twice, Rocco hit once, Ibram and Dante hit once.

Hum, you know, I think that was a pretty good serie of rolls...

Swarm of Fey Ant
Standard
vs Renquist Will (1d20+5=7) miss
Move: TPL
Aura
Basic attack vs Abigail (1d20+8=24, 1d6+3=7)
This damage is conditional to Abigail starting her turn adjacent to the swarm; if she gets moved by another PC's powers before taking her turn, the attack won't occur.

Crazy Lady
vs Ibram's reflex (1d20+6=17, 2d4+2=8) hit
Then drops prone
[/sblock]

[sblock=Ant Swarm, IMPORTANT]Do not forget this feature of the swarm:
Undeniable Beauty (immediate interrupt, when feyborn creature is targeted by a melee attack, at-will)
+5 vs Will; against the attacker; the attacker must target a different creature or end its attack.

If you are going to make a melee attack vs the swarm, roll simulteneously both rolls.

I.E. type: [1d20+5;1d20+6;1d10+5] If the first 1d20+5 beats your will, your attack is redirected or wasted.
[/sblock]

DM_Malenkirk on Virtual Battlemat

[sblock=Stats]
Crazy Lady: Prone and no Ranged LOS.

Abigail: 21 (14) /27
Dante: 24/27
Ibram: 19/30
Nementah: 24/30
Renquist: 25/31
Rocco: 34/37
Virgil: Immobilized (save ends)

Blightborn Twig Blight
Perception 16
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 15, Will 13
OA: Claw (standard, at-will) Poison
+6 vs AC; 2 poison damage (3 poison damage with combat advantage).

Feyborn Ant Swarm
Senses Perception 16; low-light vision
HP 88; Bloodied 44
AC 18; Fortitude 15, Reflex 19, Will 16
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks
OA: Swarm of Mandibles (standard, at-will)
+8 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage, and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).
Undeniable Beauty (immediate interrupt, when feyborn creature is targeted by a melee attack, at-will)
+5 vs Will; against the attacker; the attacker must target a different creature or end its attack.

Crazy Lady
Perception 13; low-light vision
HP 39; Bloodied 19
AC 18; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 15
OA Quarterstaff (standard, at-will) Weapon
+3 vs AC; 1d8+1 damage.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
Dante's kama-chain whistles free from his harness, the blades on the ends scything out and cutting apart the thorns on either side of him as Dante leaps backwards.

Virgil grunts and thrashes, but can't break free of the bushes he's entangled in.

[sblock=Actions]Free Action: Draw spiked chain (Battle Harness Armor)
Standard Action: Twin-Strike
Attack 1 vs Twig N of Dante, w/ CA: 1d20+8+2=24, hit and killed.
Attack 2 vs Twig S of Dante, w/ CA: 1d20+8+2=23, hit and killed.
Move Action: Shift to the right.
Minor Action: -

Virgil's save vs Immobilized: 1d20=5, fail.
[sblock=Statblocks]
Dante, Male Human Ranger 2
Passive Perception:18, Passive Insight:13
AC:18, Fort:17, Reflex:16, Will:14 -- Speed:6
HP:5+24/27, Bloodied:13, Surge Value:6, Surges left:6/6
Initiative +5, Action Points:1
Powers: Twin Strike, Throw and Stab, Marauder's Rush, Off-Hand Strike, Invigorating Stride, Second Wind, Jaws of the Wolf

Opportunity Attack: +8 vs. AC, 2d4+5 damage.
Note: Dante makes an OA on any enemy that makes a melee attack on Virgil as long as the enemy is within reach 2 of Dante or Virgil is adjacent to Dante.

Virgil, Beast Companion(Lizard) 2
Passive Perception:12, Passive Insight:12
AC:17, Fort:14, Reflex:14, Will:12 -- Speed:6
HP:30/30, Bloodied:15, Surge Value:7, Surges left:2/2

Immobilized(save ends)

Opportunity Attack: +8 vs. AC, 1d8+3 damage.
Note: Virgil's OA uses Dante's Immediate Reaction.[/sblock][/sblock]

Last edited:

modest

First Post
Ibram rolls to his back right, pulls his Fullblade out of its scabbard, gives a swift kick to the vines and hacks downward, snapping the twigs almost too easily.

"Warden didn't mention he needed help with his gardening! Haha!" Ibram cheers joyously, his mood in good spirits.

[sblock=Actions] Shift diagonal back right, draw Fullblade and basic melee against blight in front of me Roll Lookup 17 vs. 15 AC hits for whatever damage, not gonna roll cause it's a minion.[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Rocco draws his axe and hammer, rings them together and starts spinning in place. Weapons lash out at the creatures flanking him, sheer speed of his spin cutting and breaking through the creatures

[sblock=Actions]
Minor: draw axe
Minor: draw hammer
Standard: Dual strike first attack left, second right (1d20+8=25, 1d6+5=8, 1d20+8=26, 1d6+5=7)
[/sblock]

[sblock=Rocco Stats]
MARKED:

Initiative +3; Senses Passive Insight 13, Passive Perception 18
HP 34/37, Bloodied 18, Surge Value 9, Surges 12/12
AC 18; Fortitude 17, Reflex 15, Will 14
1 AP
Speed 5

Dual Strike
Brash Strike
Combat Challenge
Combat Superiority