Adventure: Into the Wild

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Can someone clarify the way Swordmage marking works? I was thinking Abigail got a teleport and attack, but to be honest, never played one... Anyway, she marked one and then it didn't attack her. So just throwing it out there, might take one of the buggers down. I'm assuming the one originally marked by me is attacking me, but as the shifting is hard to follow, if it is going after Nementah, it takes 4 damage. [/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Marked Twig]Yeah, Abogail's mark went over my head.

I really should have paid closer attention before I shuffled the board! I think the one marked is the one directly east of Renquist. I put a token on it.

Had I taken the mark in account, I would have noted it in the text. Either attack still hit or miss despite the -2. The question is, was the one that hit marked or not? Because Abigail can use her Aegis only on a hit.

1:Marked 2:Not Marked (1d2=2)

Not marked. Nothing changes. Whew. No weird retcon.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Marking!]This little snafu reminds of something I forgot to mention; Marking tokens! Each defender should have his own. Make it very tiny so it can put in the corner of the token of the marked enemy.

I made a tiny red A for Abigail. Use it to mark enemies (if you can log!).

With those, it's much easier for me to keep track of marks.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Fey Panther]
Fey Panther
Senses Perception 18; low-light vision
HP 54; Bloodied 27
AC 18; Fortitude 16, Reflex 18, Will 15
OA +9 vs AC; 1d6+4 damage

Blightborn Twig Blight
Perception 16
HP 1; a missed attack never damages a minion.
AC 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 15, Will 13
OA: Claw (standard, at-will) Poison
+6 vs AC; 2 poison damage (3 poison damage with combat advantage).

Feyborn Ant Swarm
Senses Perception 16; low-light vision
HP 88; Bloodied 44
AC 18; Fortitude 15, Reflex 19, Will 16
Resist half damage from melee and ranged attacks; Vulnerable 5 against close and area attacks
OA: Swarm of Mandibles (standard, at-will)
+8 vs AC; 1d6+3 damage, and ongoing 3 damage (save ends).
Undeniable Beauty (immediate interrupt, when feyborn creature is targeted by a melee attack, at-will)
+5 vs Will; against the attacker; the attacker must target a different creature or end its attack.

Crazy Lady
Perception 13; low-light vision
HP 39; Bloodied 19
AC 18; Fortitude 13, Reflex 15, Will 15
OA Quarterstaff (standard, at-will) Weapon
+3 vs AC; 1d8+1 damage.
[/sblock]

[sblock=Question(s) for Mal] Pursuit of the Hunter says when enemy within 2 squares moves....does that include enemies that COME within 2 squares and continue moving or only those that START moving? Also, how far were the panthers (maybe they started within 2 squares)?

There are twigs moving so I'll use pursuit anyhow, just want to know for future reference

If I push crazy lady toward us (It's push 2) would she drop if I put her in a square half covered with stone?

IF not, would she drop if I push her on the other side? That will not bring her to us, but will delay her for a round or two...
[/sblock]

Everyone: I'll delay my daily unless I can get all of them. Or use action point, will decide depending on Mal's answer to above questions...And panthers need to be another square or two closer then they are now.

[sblock=IMPORTANT!]

I've re-read all powers and determined that I somehow mixed up two powers (by considering one and in the end taking another - so my daily does no push, only knocks prone. but it still does decent damage...action post later today.
[/sblock]

Primera lashes out with her hooves dispatching one of the twig blights. Part of the unicorn spirit spreads out in a thin film over adjacent companions. This shield flashes as they are hit, taking some of the force from the blows.

Nementah then extricates herself from surrounding bushes while Primera charges between fey ants and the panther. She utters lengthy invocation that sets your hair standing, air wavering around her form and finally ghostly herd of various animals, deers, buffaloes, horses and other less known animals burst from her. Primera let's out a neigh and explodes into motes of light, setting ant swarm into powerless frenzy and burning neaby panther. She then reforms on the plateau near the witch that started this.

[sblock=Actions]
Standard: Protecting strike vs non-marked twig's will (1d20+4=23, 1d8+4=8) - Renquist, Abigail, Ibram, Dante and Virgil get 4 temporary hit points
Move: Nementah shifts SW, Primera moves between panther and the swarm.

AP: Wrath of the spirit world psychic vs. Will going top to bottom and left to right (1d20+4=9, 3d6+4=16, 1d20+4=22, 3d6+4=13, 1d20+4=8, 3d6+4=16, 1d20+4=15, 3d6+4=16, 1d20+4=16, 3d6+4=13, 1d20+4=5, 3d6+4=17, 1d20+4=9, 3d6+4=13)
Break down - top to bottom left to right (only first damage roll applies to all)
Panther: 9 miss, 8 damage
left twig: 22 hit, killed
right twig: 8 miss, no damage to minion
marked twig: 15, hit, killed
swarm: 16, hit, 21 damage, prone
panther: 5, miss, 8 damage
twig: 9, miss, no damage to minion

Minor: re-conjure primera adjacent to Crazy lady
OOC: I left two Primera tokens to indicate her two position, Mal please delete the one between panther and the swarm when you verify there's nothing wrong

OOC2: high damage, well above average, but I'm not a striker, I'd prefer more hits to damage :(
[/sblock]

[sblock=Nementah]
Initiative +2; Senses Passive Insight 14, Passive Perception 19
HP 24/30, Bloodied 15, Surge Value 7, Surges 11/11
AC 14; Fortitude 15, Reflex 13, Will 15
0 AP
Speed 6

Spirits Shield
Protecting Strike
Call Spirit Companion
Spirit of the Tempest

Voyage of the Ancients
Wrath of the Destroyer
Pursuit of the Hunter
Healing spirit
Healing spirit
Speak with spirits
Certain threat

Wrath of the Spirit World

[/sblock]

Last edited:

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=Sweet!]Awesome round Meta, I didn't even think about proning. If someone can get a mark on those ants now, their attack will miss Dante! Oh, and as a side note Meta, pushes must move the target further from you with every square moved, pulls must move them closer, slides can go wherever you want.[/sblock]

modest

First Post
[sblock=OOC] So I'm pretty sure IS and I got skipped for round two? Meta went on to round three, maybe you guys all know something I don't know but I'ma play like it's my round two and just skip meta's next turn would be my suggestion..seems easier than trying to reverse all the stuff he did.[/sblock]

[sblock=Actions] Minor action to heal myself for 13 (8+5) so I'm back to full and I'll slide myself to the north one square. Then move to the northern panthers back left. Standard action Guiding Strike vs. Fey Panther. To hit:
1d20+9 → [13,9] = (22) Roll Lookup and Damage: 1d12+5 → [7,5] = (12) Roll Lookup and the panther has a -2 to Armor Class until the end of my next turn. [/sblock]

Ibram takes a brief moment to chant his healing song. A beautiful, melodic whistles couples perfectly with the *thump* *thump* of Ibram's heavy footfalls. White energy flows around his body as his wounds close and the blood staunches. "Shake it off old man, 'tis jus'a scratch."

Ibram gets around to the back of the fey panther and delivers a fierce downward hack calling to Renquist to finish the beast off.

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=OOC] So I'm pretty sure IS and I got skipped for round two? Meta went on to round three, maybe you guys all know something I don't know but I'ma play like it's my round two and just skip meta's next turn would be my suggestion..seems easier than trying to reverse all the stuff he did.[/sblock].

[sblock=OOC]Not sure what you meant.

You acted here:
http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/277474-adventure-into-wild-3.html#post5200901

That was your first chance to act and you didn't miss it.

Likewise, Nementah did not act twice in any sequence. You might be confused because she and Renquist won initiative and got to act before the bad guys.

Alternatively, maybe you didn't realize that after the bad guys have acted, you all act in the order you post? As long as no one acts twice before the bad guys act again, it's all good.
[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
[sblock=Rules]
Most DMs by now runs their fights pretty close to the way I run them so I kinda assumed you were all familiar with it.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/living-4th-edition/259095-zombies-crooks-dm-mal-malenkirk-judge-covaithe.html#post4862357 said:
While we are waiting, I'll say a few words on how I run fights.

1 - I roll all initiatives. Waiting two days before everyone has had the chance to roll theirs is a waste of time. (As you can see, when it's convenient and I still need time to prep anyway, I might ask you to roll initiative)

2 - I roll a single initiative for my bad guys and play them all in the same turn. It loses some of the tabletop experience but it plays a lot faster than individual initiative.

3 - If you haven't posted your PC's action in two days, I usually run your PC at some point late in the third day of inactivity. Warn me in advance if you don't believe you can post for more than two days.

And the biggest...

4 - I don't care in what initiative order you post; your action takes place at exactly the moment you post and as long as you only act once per round, it's all good.

The initiative in practice is only relevant once; the very first round.

Let's say initiative is:

Mesa 22
Matlal 17
BAD GUYS 16
Tor 12
Montroya 9
Andrec 8
Jarel Karn 5

That means Mesa and Matlal get to act before the BGs. I don't care in what order! If Matlal log in the thread before Mesa, don't wait, act first!

Once they have both acted, I play all of the Bad Guys.

Then everyone act, in whatever order.

It is possible that Mesa and Matlal will log on the thread before Tor, Montroya, Andrec and Jarel Karn have all acted. It doesn't matter, they can act! Once all 6 of PCs have acted (and acted only once, of course!), I run bad guys and then it's once more your turn. That simple.

I repeat; your actions take place when you post. Should you want to delay, then simply wait for the others to post.

It is very common when you play that way for a player to log last in a turn and then be the first to log back after I have updated the fight and played the BGs. This leads to a PC acting almost back to back. It matters little; in the end he still has acted only once in either round.

This saves a lot of time especially because most players can't log on the thread thrice a day to see if it's their turn yet. If you log on at any time after I have run the BGs turn you are free to post without waiting for your buddies to act in order.

Two frequent rules issues arise from this practice:

1 - What about effects that last 'until the end of PC's X turn'?

Often a leader will grant a bonus to someone else 'until the end of the leader's turn'. This will usually be interpreted as 'Until the end of the target's turn' instead. Good old common sense. The target doesn't lose the bonus if the leader act before him and doesn't gain TWO turns of using the bonus if he manages to act twice before the leader acts again.

2 - What about PCs who purposefully delay taking their turn in order to give a chance to their allies to grant them a free save?

Ongoing damage and others conditions effect occurs at the beggining of your turn. If you know someone might grant you a free save (leaders can often do that) before you act, it may save you damage or avoid a stun effect to purposefully delay taking your turn, giving a chance for the other PCs to help you... That's cool. I don't mind. It just increases the value of team work which is a good thing.

Everything else, I play by ear.

---

Playing that way, I once completed a fight in 4 days. Don't believe me? Check out this thread.

Of course, I think we were all on crack that week. We didn't maintain that insane rate of post for every fight! If you just post about once every two days we should be able to complete 3 rounds a week and still be flying faster than 90% of PbP games.
[/sblock]

FourMonos

First Post
[sblock=ooc] Thanks Mal, that actually was very educational. I was a little confused about initiative as well. [/sblock]

The arrival of the Fey panthers catches Renquist by surprise. The attack of the panther and the focus of the wood creatures upon the Wilden triggers an angry feeling deep from within.

He sees the half elf's quick steps and flanking maneuver developing. He understands and appreciates the combat expertise of his companions.

With a roar, Renquist strides toward the panther, dark energy raising from his form. Renquist raises his blade, which is almost smoking with dark energy, and smites the panther. The force of the blow knocks the panther 15 feet. Renquist leaps with the strength of a man possessed and places himself between the panther and his colleagues.

[sblock=actions] Minor: Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Move: through Namentah's square to across from Ibram. Attack: Divine Pursuit, then follow 3 squares. Panther is marked.

Roll: 1d20+10, 2d10+6 → ([12, 10], [3, 4, 6])
Roll Lookup .So hit panther for 13. [/sblock]

[sblock=ministats]
Init: +1 Speed: 5 Perception:13 Insight: 18
AC: 18 NAD: F: 15 R:13 W:15
HP: 22/31 Surges: 13/13 Surge Value: 7 AP: 1
Languages: Allerian, Old Allerian
Str:16 Dex:12 Wis:16 Con:16 Int:8 Cha:12

Powers:
At-Will: Ardent Strike, Holy Strike, Divine Challenge, Lay on Hands
Encounter: Channel Divinity: Divine Mettle, Channel Divinity: Divine Strength, Second Wind, Divine Pursuit, Dark Reaping
Daily: Blood of the Mighty

Anyone able to tell me how to make the crossed out part when your encounters and dailies are used? Thanks Meta! [/sblock]

Last edited:

OOC: to cross things you put them between [S ] and [/S ], but without spaces, like this: strikethrough

As for init, I had same learning with first character, but I had Neurotic to clarify things via PM :)

Mal, if that twig that remained near Nementah moves on it's turn, Nementah shifts 3 squares down and to the left (pursuit of the hunter) hopefuly ruining the attack

Iron Sky

Procedurally Generated
[sblock=OOC]I'm just waiting for Wik. Once Abigail gets that ant swarm marked, I'll be good to go.[/sblock]

Remove ads