Dark Sun D&D Encounters Characters

Phaezen

First Post
The character sheets for the Dark Sun Encounters characters are up at dungeonmasters.com

There is:
Barcan - Human Cosmic Sorcerer (Veiled Alliance)
Castri - Elf Marauder Ranger (Gladiator)
Jarvix - Tiefling Telepathic Psion (Vieled Alliance)
Phye - Human Enlightened Ardent (Noble Adept)
Shikirr - Thri-Kreen Quick Battlemind (wilder)
Yuka - Mul Brawling Fighter (Wasteland Nomad)

Phaezen

First Post
Some initial things off the character sheets - background gives an encounter power

Wilder - Wild Surge
Wasteland Nomad - Wasteland Fury
Veiled Alliance - Excise from Site (can enhance with a minor action - interesting)
Noble Adept - Adepts Insight (Psychic - augmentable)
Gladiator - Disrupting Advance

First impressions:

Barcan is more fragile than a glass cannon. AC 12 and a close blast at-will don't go well together :-S. Didn't notice any mechanical errors.

Castri has a speed of 8? Probably an error, should be 7.

Jarvix has +10 Perception, should be +4 from what I can tell (-1 Wis, +5 trained). His Infernal Wrath is not up to date (-> May rules update).

Shikirr has +8 Athletics. Let's see, +0 Str, +5 trained, probably +2 (+3?) racial (thri-kreen were really good jumpers in 2E). Could be an error.

Yuka has +7 Streetwise. Do muls get +2 Streetwise?

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
First impressions:

Barcan is more fragile than a glass cannon. AC 12 and a close blast at-will don't go well together :-S. Didn't notice any mechanical errors.

Castri has a speed of 8? Probably an error, should be 7.

Jarvix has +10 Perception, should be +4 from what I can tell (-1 Wis, +5 trained). His Infernal Wrath is not up to date (-> May rules update).

Shikirr has +8 Athletics. Let's see, +0 Str, +5 trained, probably +2 (+3?) racial (thri-kreen were really good jumpers in 2E). Could be an error.

Yuka has +7 Streetwise. Do muls get +2 Streetwise?

Barcan has that power as a just in case something gets that close and he cant get away. Think Thunderwave for Wizards

Castri has the correct speed. He is a Marauder fighting style Ranger.

chitzk0i

Explorer
I understand there are mechanical mistakes and omissions. Anyone know what?

The fighter's Reflex is 2 points too high, his Fortitude is 2 points too low, and is begging for some javelins. The psion has old infernal wrath. The ardent's human at-will should be un-augmentable and she shouldn't be giving herself her own skill bonus. The ranger really should have more than two daggers to throw (really) and has the old throw and stab. The battlemind's stat block says to reference a psion power. Strangely, I can't find any typos in the sorcerer's card.

Dice4Hire

First Post
Very nice. Very colorful and well-designed sheet,s, too, though I do not see how they will be advanced to 2nd level. Were the characters in Encounters 1 advanced? I never heard one way or the other.

I do like the backgrounds --> encounter power idea. Gives characters an other interesting choice for building. The skills never did it for me with previous backgrounds. I do see the potential for some powers not matching character classes well, though. Like wasteland fury for a non-strength character.

All barbarians are from XXX
All wizards are from YYY
All Psionic guys are from ZZZ

But then aqgain, the skill background caused that a bit, but not as strongly.

Hopefully htey will eventually come up with 2-3 powers from each background that will get around this. Or maybe they already did?

Barcan has that power as a just in case something gets that close and he cant get away. Think Thunderwave for Wizards
Except that Thunderwave can push ;). This sorcerer just isn't built well IMO. (Seriously, AC 12, 22 hp, in Dark Sun? Now that's a challenge.)

Castri has the correct speed. He is a Marauder fighting style Ranger.
Ah, I see. I wasn't familiar with the new Marauder build.

The fighter's Reflex is 2 points too high, his Fortitude is 2 points too low, and is begging for some javelins.
Good catch. From the Brawler style description on the card it should be correct, but brawlers get +2 Fort, not +2 Ref.

So whoever built those pre-gens obviously didn't use the Character Builder, but shouldn't someone have double-checked their stats?

Remove ads