Wands of healing: individual purchase or party purchase (please read before voting)

Should Wands of Cure Light Wounds be a "group" or "individual" purchase?

• Healers, buy your own wands.

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Wands are a party resource. Healers are just holding em.

Votes: 73 86.9%
  • Other (please explain "other" choices)

Votes: 10 11.9%

My group splits loot fairly carefully (adding up the prices and having people "buy" loot from the pool).

Recently, the discussion of healing wands came up. Who should be buying them? Is it a party resource that only specific characters are able to use? Is it a resource that a party member must buy as "their responsibility" similar to a thief using lockpicks? If a priest must buy the wand, can he refuse to use it on others? If the party buys the wand, is it ok if the fighter holds it?

What about every party member buying their OWN wand?

Please comment with rationales/reasons behind your vote. Either way, is this a "slippery slope"?

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
I don't see it as a slippery slope. We do it as a party resource. TPK's happen when one person falls and then another and another. So, it is to the party's best interest to make sure everyone has availible healing.

Our group also does not care that much that loot is split equally. It is more imporant that people get what they can use and need.

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I'd think you have to have a pretty mean and miserly group of malcontents to not pitch in on healing magic even if only one of the PCs is likely to carry it and use it. I've never played with a group that lacked the cooperation to pitch in with party money on healing magic.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Most groups I've been in, we do it BOTH ways. :)

Long story short, if you bought it with "party" funds (we pooled money to get it) then it's a "group" item, whether it be wands, scrolls, suits of magic plate armor, etc.

If you bought it with your divvied share, it's yours. Use it, hoard it, feed it to the Tarrasque, whatever you want.

Pretty obvious, really.

In our most recent game, we've been pooling the money by and large without splitting it, so most items have been "party" items - we just don't make as much distinction on weapons and armor.

Vurt

First Post
When dividing up loot, issue a half share or a full share to the "party", and use that for communal-type purchases like healing wands, bags of holding, pricey spell components, room and board, bribes, and any other expenses which typically come up while adventuring. In the long run, it saves a lot of kvetching at the table about who exactly should pay for what.

IronWolf

blank
Party resource. I don't see a reason to burden the healer with the cost of trying to keep everyone all healed up. Everyone will need healing and keeping the team alive and up contributes to the whole party success.

Nagol

Unimportant
The person(s) who want healing in excess of the party's current capacity should kick in for the augmentation.

If the party believes additional healing would be beneficial then it can buy the item. If the party doesn't but a particular party member does, then that character can pick it up and dictate its use (since it is individualy owned).

Stormonu

Legend
I do not allow divine-based wands in my game. Nor do I allow the purchase of magic items, beyond a few potions and possibly a low-level scroll.

Uder

First Post
I'm usually a DM, so my opinion doesn't matter much. That said, I think the party should shell out if they want a wand to be used for party benefit - this applies to more than just healing wands too. I'd feel the same way about thieves' tools and the like if they cost a bundle and had charges as well.

In one of my rare outings as player, the DM allowed the party to split the xp cost for making items. That, coupled with the 3.5 MIC, did not end well. The defrayed cost was so low that there was very little reason to not have a bundle of charged items doing every little thing the party needed. Live and learn. No christmas tree decorating parties disguised as campaigns for me.

Last edited:

Remove ads