[Proposal] Item Exchange

Vertexx69

First Post
As character's grow and develop they might find their focus slightly shifting or find a new option, in a new source for instance, that makes them need slightly different gear.

Bartering:
Adding the ability to use a character's single revision when they gain a level, but only once per tier (one time each at levels 1-10, 11-20, & 21-30) to be able to exchange a single item they currently possess for an item of equal or lesser value of the same slot, unless the item lvl is equal to character lvl in which case the new item can be of any slot.

If in an adventure your DM will make the call as to whether or not the character is in a suitable location where such a trade could happen.

Breaks down as:

Bartering - Exchanging old item for new one at full value as retraining option at lvl up.
* Equal or lesser value
* Once per tier
* New item must be of same slot, unless item lvl = character lvl (then any slot)
* If on adventure, DM decides if option can be used.

Last edited:

renau1g

First Post
Overall, not bad, just needs to be DM/game dependent, ie if my group is in the middle of the swamps they likely won't be able to trade a level 6 weapon for Iron Armbands of Power.

Vertexx69

First Post
Of course. I originally was calling it City Bartering as there would obviously have to be an opportunity to barter with somebody. But its easily covered if a DM knows he is going to be taking a party out of Sharn for 2 or more lvls. They might want to have an encounter with a caravan or trading camp along the way. The options are very easy to come up with.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Given the way LEB handles item rewards, I'm not entirely sure how necessary this is. How much more control over your items do you need?

Agreed.

After this comes the proposal to change all of the PCs items over at the revision, then comes the proposal to be allowed to do a revision at every level, then comes the proposal to allow the player to change the class of the PC at a revision, then the proposal to allow the player to change the race of the PC at a revision.

What ever happened to: "this is your PC, if you don't like him, retire him and design a new one"? Why must we have this infinite control over every design aspect of the PC, even ones that traditionally belong in the hands of the DM instead of the player.

Vertexx69

First Post
Given the way LEB handles item rewards, I'm not entirely sure how necessary this is. How much more control over your items do you need?
Every character outgrows items as they lvl up. And it might be nice to have the option once per lvl to not lose 80% of an older item's value if you find something that can serve the party's survival better.

And as for karinsdad's insane leaps of maniacal troll logic for future proposals based on this one, I specifically state its one more option to retrain a single minor feature of a character that is not unreasonable to be able to change.

EvolutionKB

First Post
I really don't see the problem here. It makes the game more fun I would think. If it counts as your level up retrain, and you can only do it under certain circumstances(good luck doing it the depths of Xen'drik) and gets rid of a useless item why not?

Valahad is almost level 7. At this point, his vanilla holy symbol+1 is of decreasing use for him, especially if he gets a better holy symbol as his next reward(hint hint). Why not get a restful bedroll or some alchemical item instead? Y'know something he'd actually might use.

TwoHeadsBarking

First Post
Every character outgrows items as they lvl up. And it might be nice to have the option once per lvl to not lose 80% of an older item's value if you find something that can serve the party's survival better.

Valahad is almost level 7. At this point, his vanilla holy symbol+1 is of decreasing use for him, especially if he gets a better holy symbol as his next reward(hint hint). Why not get a restful bedroll or some alchemical item instead? Y'know something he'd actually might use.

Out of curiosity, how is this handled in the RL games you play? I know that both in the game I ran and the games I play in, this is just what happens. You outgrow your old items and either disenchant them or sell them. I don't see this as a flaw in the system.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases