Someone has MM3 at RPG.Net

That was a welcome surprise. I thought unflavored elementals were gone the way of the dodo. Woot!
I think a lot of people thought so, although in hindsight, there's no reason they couldn't have been in 4E all along. I suppose the reason for waiting two years to publish them was to establish that "pure" elementals are definitely not the norm now; 4E has given us a much more diverse elemental landscape, no doubt. (Consider the reason for mixed-elementals in the first two Monster Manuals to be a sort of "elemental affirmative action"; this way, mono-elementals don't get all the glory by coming first.)

Now that they are printing mono-elementals, I'd like to see them do all the para- and quasi-elementals for 4E, stripped of the obsolete cosmological basis, I mean. In 4E, we aren't restricted to only four elements anymore, and so there's no reason we couldn't have "pure" mud elementals or smoke elementals or vacuum elementals or lightning elementals; similarly, a magma elemental needn't be assumed to be a fusion of elemental fire and earth -- now it's just living elemental magma, period.

Almacov

First Post
The Feyspitter Spider (Level 7 Controller) has poison that sends it victims into a dreamlike dance, sliding them 3 squares each time they fail their saves.

So we're getting closer to having the tarantella back.
The Feyspitter just teaches a different style. :p

I think I'm going to get a lot of use out of this book...

the Jester

Legend
I think a lot of people thought so, although in hindsight, there's no reason they couldn't have been in 4E all along. I suppose the reason for waiting two years to publish them was to establish that "pure" elementals are definitely not the norm now; 4E has given us a much more diverse elemental landscape, no doubt.0

IIRC there were rumors that the "classical" elementals would return as early as Manual of the Planes, but I had come to the conclusion that they'd all been shifted into archons.

I'm happy to see them back!

Pseudopsyche

First Post
Are the Crauds... lame/dorky? I found the bullywugs very... weak and not compelling, regardless of their legacy.

Anything you've ran across with some interesting/new mechanics you like?
The crauds doesn't seem dorky to me, but then again I like the bullywugs.

Mind you, I haven't had much time to peruse the book closely, but the oblivion moss, mentioned in a recent D&D Alumni, looks pretty cool. It's a level 12 elite controller that has an encounter power that prevents a PC from remembering how to use its encounter and daily powers (save ends), and creates a minion duplicate of the target that can (more or less) use one of the target's at wills. The oblivion moss's power recharges if the minion is destroyed, but it can also absorb any damage dealt to the minion. The DM chooses the minion's role (and consequently its powers besides the target's at-will). A sidebar also encourages the DM to have the target's player make the attack rolls for the minion, to emphasize that it is a duplicate of the PC. Looks like it should make for a fun encounter!

Shroomy

Adventurer
So, are all the iconic monsters all covered between the MM1-MM3 for 4e?

I don't think so, here's a list of monsters from 1e AD&D monster books that I think can still be converted (I'm intentionally leaving out the named creatures and some I've heard are coming out):

MM1
Aerial Servant
Aquatic Elf
Blink Dog
Brownie
Dragon Turtle
Eye of the Deep
Fungus, Shrieker
Fungus, Violet Fungus
Giant Crab
Invisible Stalker
Leucrotta
Leprechaun
Locathah
Lycanthrope, Werebear
Merfolk
Morkoth
Pegasus
Peryton
Slithering Tracker
Smilodon
Sprite, Nixie
Sprite, Pixie
Sylph
Triton

MM2
Annis
Aurumvorax
Basidirond
Boggart
Boggle
Dao
Formian
Froghemoth
Grippli
Grig
Elemental Grues (Chaggrin, Harginn, Ildriss, and Varrdig)
Hangman Tree
Hordling
Kech
Seawolf
Marid
Modrons!
Mongrelman
Muckdweller
Nereid
Para-Elementals
Pech
Selkie
Spectator
Tasloi
Wemic
Wolfwere
Yeth Hound
Juju Zombie

1e FF (almost all the good monsters in this book have already been converted IMO)
Aarakocra
Caryatid Column
Crypt Thing
Guardian Daemon
Jermlaine
Kamadan
Mephits
Penanggalan
Yellow Musk Creeper
Yellow Musk Creeper Zombies

Really, if you think about it, a book on the Feywild and a book on Aquatic adventuring similar to the 3.5e supplement Stormwrack would take care of almost all of my list.

Rechan

Adventurer
Hey Shroomy. I donno about 1e, but I can think of some 2e ones that are missing:

Lycanthrope, Werefox
Lurker (above, below)
Wolf-In-Sheep's-Clothing

Also missing yellow mold and brown mold. I'd be happy to see them as a hazard.

I want that Feywild book. MY GOD do I want it.

The crauds doesn't seem dorky to me, but then again I like the bullywugs.
Bare in mind I also mean mechanically. The Bullywugs didn't exactly perform all that successfully to me.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases