Someone has MM3 at RPG.Net

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
Thanks guys - and I realised I missed one of Rechan's questions.

No, in fact, the Scarecrows aren't low levels - there are 3 types:

Scarecrow Shambler - Lvl 10 Minion Brute
Scarecrow Guardian - Lvl 13 Soldier
Scarecore Haunter - Lvl 13 Lurker

So all lower Paragon.... those are some scary scarecrows. Makes one wonder just how scary crows are in D&D if they need paragon level scarecrows to chase them away. ;)

As for the Cloaker Lord, its still pretty much a lurker, in that it has all the same abilities as the Ambusher does. I guess it just got moved from Lurker to Controller as it has a couple of other abilities as well, namely a recharging moan attack (a close burst) that makes targets run away, and an encounter moan (again close burst) that stuns targets on a hit, dazes on a miss.

Overall, the MM3 continues the trend of the MM2 with more interesting and more complicated monsters - pretty much everything has several powers. It also seems like monsters do more damage, and have more chances to take actions (a lot of interupt powers out there, even for standard monsters. As well, lots of things that happen that trigger when monsters become bloodied or are reduced to zero HPs. Hopefully the new stat block will help keep track of all the stuff they can do - my next session is likely to be confusing (using monsters with both the new and the old stat blocks), but I suspect once I get used to the new block and Monster Builder reblocks all the monsters it will be much easier.

Rechan

Adventurer
Dr Ru said:
So all lower Paragon.... those are some scary scarecrows. Makes one wonder just how scary crows are in D&D if they need paragon level scarecrows to chase them away. ;)
That's rather odd. Scarecrows in the past have been presented as low level constructs. Your "pre-golems".

Overall, the MM3 continues the trend of the MM2 with more interesting and more complicated monsters - pretty much everything has several powers.
Good. The monsters that have a basic attack and then one attack really annoy the hell out of me.

Also, as far as complex and confusing, one method is to pick only one Complex monster for an encounter, and for the rest pick less confusing monsters, just so you don't have to juggle too much at the table.

You list Frog and Giant Frog separately, how menacing is the "Frog" versus the "Giant Frog"?
That was my bad. I was continually rearranging and adjusting to be alphabetical, and just missed it.

Mentat55

First Post
I think Istar means, are there any race write-ups in MM3, e.g., like bugbears and githyanki in MM1, and kenku and bullywugs in MM2.

I don't have the MM3, but I believe the answer, from what I read on RPG.net, is no.

Mithreinmaethor

First Post
I think WOTC learned their lesson and we wont see any more racial writeups in the back of the MM's. Too many people automatically expect to use monsters as races even though it was highly discouraged to do so.

So basically dont print stats for monsters as players and argument is over. Pretty simple.

Dr_Ruminahui

First Post
I think Istar means, are there any race write-ups in MM3, e.g., like bugbears and githyanki in MM1, and kenku and bullywugs in MM2.

I don't have the MM3, but I believe the answer, from what I read on RPG.net, is no.

Ah, if that's the case then you are correct - there are no monsters done up as PC/NPC races in MM3.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases