Thieves World

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Crothian said:
They advance the time line about 50 years and Sanctuary can not catch a break...
so, if you're planning on running a game, will it be the old Sanctuary, or the new, 50 years later Sanctuary?

Crothian

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:

so, if you're planning on running a game, will it be the old Sanctuary, or the new, 50 years later Sanctuary?

I'd run it in Old Sanctuary (why, want to play? :D ), I'm more familiar with it as it's all written. Only one book on the new stuff yet, and a lot of it dealt with past events.

Mr Fidgit

First Post
Crothian said:
I'd run it in Old Sanctuary (why, want to play?
i'm not sure any more. i just started reading one of the books and it's dark

i thought Ravenloft was dark, because everything and their mothers wants to kill and eat you. in Sanctuary, death is the least of your potential problems!

AngelTears

First Post
I would love to see more material on Thieves World, I got hooked on Robert Asprin, and I have not looked back.
I have been trying to collect the original books and graphic novels too.

Speaking of which, I found the boxed set a year ago, still in its original plastic wrapping, and I was wondering what other supplements were made for the game?

-Angel Tears

Crothian

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:

i'm not sure any more. i just started reading one of the books and it's dark

i thought Ravenloft was dark, because everything and their mothers wants to kill and eat you. in Sanctuary, death is the least of your potential problems!

It's all in how players want it. There are people who live and prosper in Sanctuary making an honest living. I don't run to dark of game. I establish the drugs and the slavery, but I don't go to deep into that. The biggest thing in Sanctuary is knowing who you can trust, and who to stay away from. One just has to be careful, and know what he is doing. I don't just drop people into the setting and see if they can make it, that would make for many dead PCs.

War Golem

First Post
Thieves World/Sanctuary is very, very cool. A truly excellent setting for a low-magic fantasy campaign. The first several books of the series were great, but as I recall, I found myself losing interest in some of the plot elements and characters that came into prominence in the later books.

Although my campaign is not set in TW, I've been using Jubal as an off-screen (i.e., no stats, not yet anyway) villain in my campaign for a while. The PCs have had a few run-ins with his thugs (the "Hawkmasks"). One of the PCs, a kzinti rogue, wrote-up her backstory to make the character in need of some serous cash flow early on, to pay off the large gambling debt she had accumulated and now owed to the mysterious crimelord, Jubal.

Good luck with your campaign, Crothian! I would definitely be interested in seeing whatever you come up with.

Cheers,

-War Golem

Crothian

First Post
The thread is way over in Plots and Places. Just a skeleton of what it will become. It will include notes and my thoughts on running and playing in a TW game.

Remove ads