So how's Kingmaker working out?

Psychotic Jim

First Post
Just like what the thread title says, how's it turning out? I'm interested primarily in hearing the experiences from those who are playing or running it.

I've heard it's pretty nonlinear unlike other adventure paths. Is that true?

Well I'll throw my 2CP in despite not having played/run it. Yes very non linear but that also means it becomes a bit of a mix between Fallout 3 and MMORPG in the first book. I.e. exploring the wastelands looking for action and going to NPCs with a quest to do.

However it may well play a lot better than it reads.

ruemere

Adventurer
I'm running my campaign in a similar way - I gather story seeds and throw them to the winds. Then, once the PCs interacted with them somehow (through series of loose encounters), I tend to develop some of them further.
The players are happy, as they feel the world changing through their actions, and it makes my work more effective, as I do not need to deliver complete stories, only the part currently to be played (plus new story seeds).

Kingmaker adventure path features also kingdom management rules - this is something I am not familiar with. I like the rules, though, as they are simple and offer KingSim type of experience.

Regards,
Ruemere

BlackMoria

First Post
I am running it for my group right now.

Sandbox with certain fixed encounters to further the overarching storyline.

Stolen Lands is principally almost all sandbox. You get XP for exploration. The exploration can result in storyline encounters. There are 'quests' of sorts which also either further the storyline or give the characters some interaction or learning about the area they are in.

Rivers Run Red is mostly sandbox with exploration ongoing but now adding a new layer of 'kingdom' building. They are extensive rules for kingdom building and it can be done on stage or off stage. Our group is doing most of it outside of play sessions. Again, quests and fixed encounters further the story or add color to the area they are in. You also get XP for developing your kingdom.

That is as far as our group has gone so far. As the adventure path continues, it will get less sandboxy as the main plotline starts to have more and more an impact on the developing kingdom.

Our group is enjoying it. As the DM, I like it because the sandbox nature of the campaign allows me to swap out encounters and elements I don't like to put in one's of my own choosing. I can also develop my own quests. It is easy to do as most of the sandbox elements usually don't touch on the main plot line and those that do are easy enough to identify and run with as is or modify with the eye to the overall story.

My players are not that big into nuts and bolts of kingdom building so we have moved that aspect to out of play session for planning and design and only roleplay significant aspects (like the kingdom can have 'encounters') I can see other groups really getting into this aspect but I can see other groups choosing to move that aspect of the campaign off stage.

Timelines are extremely fluid and up to the DM so there is no timer counting down on the main plotline. It can be days or years between certain events and modules if you or the players want it to.

Last edited:

IronWolf

blank
I have not run or played in Kingmaker yet but I have recently begun looking at it from the seriously considering starting up a campaign to run it. I've mainly been focused on the first adventure book, but my copy of the second book in the adventure path arrived in the mail yesterday and I started my pathfinder adventure path subscription to get access to the rest of the series as it comes out.

It definitely looks like an interesting concept and just might find that middle ground between the rollplayer and roleplayer in people. And the idea of making a kingdom as part of the path is cool as well.

From the discussions amongst other DMs I have read on the Paizo boards it seems the sandboxy nature means some more prep for the DM, but that it has paid off in people's games. So a worthy exchange possibly.

Look forward to more comments from people who have actually run or played the AP so far.

Set

First Post
The KM PbP I'm in has so many dangling plot hooks that we have a list of stuff we need to take care of, and are sort of pinging all over the map, seeking out and taking care of pacifying various threats, etc. in addition to exploring new areas.

It almost feels like having a 'quest journal' in some online game, with so many different encounters scattered around that need dealing with, and, instead of a dungeon, channeling us from encounter to encounter, we are wandering around the countryside from encounter to encounter, with a better notion of what we are about to find behind any given 'door,' since we probably went in that direction specifically to deal with the rumored beastie(s) in that area...

A preparation-based class, such as a Cleric, Druid or Wizard, might find that pretty cool, as they can prepare specific spells with at least a passing notion of who the 'threat of the day' is going to be.

Encounters can be a bit bigger as well, as the overland travel / exploration doesn't generally include three to five encounters in a day, allowing the PCs the freedom to unload their biggest guns in every fight, without feeling the need to 'save something for the next room.' It could be a day, or several days, before reaching another 'set piece encounter.'

On the other hand, random encounters can still occur, and if the party has completely shot it's wad on the big fight, they might get pummeled...

IronWolf

blank
The KM PbP I'm in has so many dangling plot hooks that we have a list of stuff we need to take care of, and are sort of pinging all over the map, seeking out and taking care of pacifying various threats, etc. in addition to exploring new areas.

I've seen many Kingmaker PbP games fill up pretty quickly on various PbP sites. With all of the exploration involved I was wondering how well it would play out in that medium.

Set said:
It almost feels like having a 'quest journal' in some online game, with so many different encounters scattered around that need dealing with, and, instead of a dungeon, channeling us from encounter to encounter, we are wandering around the countryside from encounter to encounter, with a better notion of what we are about to find behind any given 'door,' since we probably went in that direction specifically to deal with the rumored beastie(s) in that area...

Do you find this good or bad to have what seems like an overwhelming number of quests to choose from? It is always hard to tell tone from posts, but it almost sounds like you see several cons to the Kingmaker game you are playing in.

wakedown

Explorer
I'll try to post as spoiler-free as possible.

I'm still mixed. As a player in KingMaker, I was definitely interested in the opening activities, but as exploring each hex as dragged on, the encounters were a little mundane.

What I mean is, "you enter hex A, you fight mundane monster CR2; you enter hex B, roll Init you fight 5 mundane monsters CR1/2"

The beginning part was great with the outpost and what we did right after the outpost, but then we were wary to make a bee-line right to what felt like the major plot point next, so we started exploring. It feels a little CRPG/MMO like, just running to a square, killing a monster that has a "drop item" or what have you.

It's just funny that its lagging right where most of the APs suddenly "pick up the stream". Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases