T1: A Visit to Spelding Square [Completed]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
"Also, if I may ask uf you, Aldvader, At the ship's wheel, vas bad folk das black lilly teefs?", Asks Pendrake with a very knowing look in his eyes.

Trouvere

Explorer
"It was the Lilies, wasn't it? Folk round here all knew the name - and'd pretend they didn't. But you don't see anyone flashing the scarf and expecting folks to jump these days. There's still a few of them around, but they're not so much bother. Seems the times have turned against them."

"Well, Mildred, eh? Come in, come in! Leave the door open until I get some light inside."

Gillin shuffles through his door. He lives only a few steps from abject poverty. His room is furnished sparsely with a straw-stuffed mattress on a pallet bed against the wall, a simple table and a chair near the open fireplace.

He sets his bowl of food down on the table. There's a case there too, which he pats with an affectionate hand. When he lifts the lid, the room fills with a light as bright as that of any oil lamp, but whiter.

He lifts out a glowing morning star. As he hefts it to shoulder height in both hands, his shadow is cast starkly on the wall, larger than the real man, and for a moment it's possible to imagine him as he was sixty years ago, young with a magic weapon and hope before him.

"Mildred," he says. "Silly of me, but I still can't bear to part with her."

Boddynock

First Post
Peladus watches, his face solemn. After a moment he smiles and sketches a bow.

"A fine weapon," he says respectfully, "a suitable companion for a hero."

Scott DeWar

slog squish dro8ip drip squish . . .

Pendrake being still a bit wet from his evening swim in the sea only pokes his head in the door out of respect.

"Ja, das lillies.Ik herinner me dat de bestrijding."

[sblock=translation] I remember tthat fight [/sblock]

orsal

LEW Judge
Ngikhnit has been quiet through all the discussion of local goings-on. Having only just arrived in town, he has nothing to offer. But he is listening attentively, clearly interested in hearing more.

Trouvere

Explorer
Gillin visibly swells. "Might have been made for a hero, but then I started swinging her," he says, with no more than a modest attempt at modesty. "But have you heard of the Covington Hag? No, you haven't! That's 'cos there isn't one, 'cos me and Mildred - and the others - didn't let her make herself a home there."

He mimes a crushing overhead blow, which is more of an excuse to put the weapon down on the table.

"A long time ago," he says. He pulls out his key again and begins chivvying everyone back out the door.

"Now, I'm for finishing my rum to warm my belly, and bed. You won't want to see me pulling my leggings off, I'm sure. I'm grateful for the company on my way home, even if I'd not have gone by the docks myself if it weren't for you. Still, no harm done, if I don't catch cold, and it's more excitement than I've had in years. The night's still young for fellas like you, I daresay."

Scott DeWar

Once outside Pendrake looks to Quozen and says, "Haf you heard das tale of de grote strijd?", then without waiting for an answer he proceeds to tell the tale as well as he can, embellish the facts on the danger and the parties great deeds of ridding of the menace. He takes great care in never mentioning the 'parent guild'.

[sblock=tranlaation] the big fight [/sblock]

Last edited:

Boddynock

First Post
"Now what?" asks Peladus.

"Apart from getting drenched, is there anything else we want to do about this mysterious wave? That guard seemed to think that it would be important to check out the slums. Should we wander over there?"

InVinoVeritas

Adventurer
Quozen nods. "Drop a pebble in a puddle, and the wave will reach the shore. The large wave, would it not be the result of the fireball landing in the ocean?

Perhaps the slums are where we should start the search. They are by the water, yes? Certainly the wave would reach them, too."

Remove ads