[Adventure] Kingmaker (DM:renau1g; judge: garyh)

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"It is my reason for coming to Restov. These bandits are a blight on the world - they come into an area and take by force what th' good folk who make their homes there have given their sweat and blood to earn. Those they don't leave bleeding their lives out in the dirt have barely enough left to survive anyway."

The big man's manner says clearly that this matter is an old wound, never fully healed but faded with time until the pain - once piercing - has subsided to a dull ache. As he speaks he absently rubs the simple jeweled armband around his left bicep.

Scotley

Hero
Mari

Mari reads the notice with interest. "After the sinking of ship we find ourselves a drift here with few supplies and little chance to make our way home. If they can be trusted, we should take up the offer of the Swordlords and rid the region of bandits. We can better ourselves and do a service at the same time. Ruarc, Elurin do these 'Swordlords' have a reputation for honor? I know but little of them."

OOC: History Check (1d20+2=17)

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=History DC 15 or 10 if from island or Streetwise 18 or 14 if from island]
Rostland was first inhabited by Taldan explorers in the latter half of the Age of Enthronement[2] under the leadership of Baron Sirian First, a hotheaded, impulsive noble forced to emigrate from Taldor after losing one too many duels. When the fledgling colony suffered a number of brutal attacks from bandit lords to the south, First accepted the challenge of the ruling bandit lord—a duel for the future of the burgeoning settlement. Unable to best the bandit king, First paid his wager and disappeared, most assuming he was gone for good, too embarrassed to show his face after the defeat. Several years later, First returned a changed man.[3]

Answering to the name Sirian Aldori, the "Sword Baron" challenged to bandit lord to a rematch and defeated him handily in seconds. He followed this with a standing offer of 100,000gp as a reward for any who could best him in a battle of blades. None could defeat him, whether through legitimate means or trickery and magic. At first, Aldori refused to teach any his techniques, but he eventually capitulated and began to train a select group of swordsmen under the condition that they each swore to change their name to Aldori and never teach their techniques to any outside the swordpact. These swordsmen became known as the Aldori swordlords. They ruled Rostland for generations, each as prickly and impulsive as the order's founder.[3]

In 4499 AR[4], the armies of Choral the Conqueror swept into Rostland, and despite a strong resistance mustered by the swordlords, the nation fell at the barbarian's hand and at the talons of his red dragon servitors. The most memorable conflict between the Rostlandi and Choral's armies is now known as the Valley of Fire, and somber songs of swordlord Estruan Aldori's defeat remain a popular aspect of folk culture in Brevoy, the River Kingdoms, and Mendev. After annihilating the Rostlandi army, Choral's red dragons turned their attention to Rostland itself, and initiated a brutal onslaught of fire and blood that brought the once-proud nation to its knees. In only a handful of days, the people of Rostland surrendered to their new ruler and his heirs in House Rogarvia.[5]

Many Aldori swordlords fled Rostland under Choral's rule, establishing a strong presence in the city of Mivon to the south, amid the River Kingdoms. Others fled to the Free City of Restov in the far south of Brevoy.The Aldori stronghold of Skywatch maintained the resistance even after the rest of Rostland had fallen, but even this seat of independent Aldori power was reduced to ashes by Choral and his dragons, eventually to be rebuilt by House Rogarvia. [/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
Ezmerelda squints at the notice and shrugs. "I'll fight bandits if the pay's good. This doesn't mention pay though."
\
She glances at the two natives.

"This can't be the biggest city. Where are the towers with their tips in the clouds? The moss-covered ruins full of a lost empire's wealth?" With a look at Mari she adds, "Are we sure we're at the right island?"

HandofMystra

First Post
"The city seems quite large enough for me. It is a wonder the primal spirits even will visit me here. These bandits have threatened my village as well, I will help clear them out"

Scotley

Hero
Returning Ezmerelda's gaze Mari begins to smile. "Some things grow in the telling. Do you believe everything the boys tell you at dances too?" asks Mari with a wicked grin. "Ever had a man tell you his pouch is full of gold only to find there's nothing but copper?" She continues in a more serious tone. "Your in the right place girl. I've sailed these waters before and this island wasn't here nor was there a city with such towers. Unless more than one new island has floated up, this is it."

Last edited:

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
[sblock=OOC]Can't paste the link right now but Ruarc knows the history below. (It's under his name on IC.).[/sblock]

As the group walks the streets of Restov Ruarc shares a little of the history of the place.

(Everything in the spoiler below is now available to the group.)

Shayuri

First Post
Ez crosses her eyes and pokes her tongue out at Mari to blow a raspberry, then continues amiably along. After a little while she hums a jaunty tune to herself...then whistles another one. When they finally reach Restov, the genasi seems profoundly disappointed.

"It looks like a regular city," she sulks. The moping continues as they walk into the town, though she gradually becomes more interested in Ruarc's rendition of the history of the lands.

Finally she claps Ruarc's back and smiles. "That's a fine tale. I'd like to hear more of it, but first I think I'd best see about finding some work. Are there docks here, do you know? Or shipyards?"

renau1g

First Post
[sblock=OOC]
Restov is land-locked, no water here.

Ruarc/Elurin would know Port Ice to the North is the only Port in Brevoy [/sblock]

Maidhc O Casain

Na Bith Mo Riocht Tá!
"You don't mean to ask the Swordlords about their offer, then?"

The goliath's voice shows some disappointment at the prospect - whether due to the (apparent) lack of interest in chasing bandits or because he's grown somewhat fond of his companions over the past weeks of travel is difficult to say.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases