companies staying away from rpg gamers

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast
    Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore ggroy
    My communities:

companies staying away from rpg gamers

Article about why some companies are staying away from tabletop rpg gamers.

Why You Cant Have Nice Things | Mob | United | Malcolm | Sheppard
    http://rpgmechanics.blogspot.com

Grandfather of Assassins (Lvl 19)

Ignore ExploderWizard
    Heh. This can be very tricky for a tabletop rpg company.

Community Supporter COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Guide (Lvl 11)

Ignore wedgeski
    My communities:

I'd have to chew on the article for a while to be sure, but I'm afraid my initial reaction is: yeah, he's right. I'm not convinced that TRPG gamers are somehow the sharp end of the spear, though, as I've seen plenty of similar behaviour in many other gaming segments.
    What do you want to do now?
    Chasing the DM - D&D blog/occasional soap-box (5E Player's Handbook Review Part 1 - First Impressions)

The Grand Druid (Lvl 20)

Ignore Dausuul
    Interesting article, but totally devoid of specifics. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what he's complaining about. What companies are staying away from tabletop gamers? What are those companies selling? What are the "desired behaviors" the tabletop gamers are resisting, and why is it bad for them to focus on concrete goals instead of social conversations? Why does it matter if they relate cynically to the content? What content?

I have the feeling there's a giant lump o' context that I'm missing here someplace.
    Last edited by Dausuul; Tuesday, 22nd June, 2010 at 04:21 PM.

There is no fluff. There is no crunch. There are only rules of varying precision.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore ggroy
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Dausuul View Post
    Interesting article, but totally devoid of specifics. I'm having a hard time figuring out exactly what he's complaining about. What companies are staying away from tabletop gamers? In what context? What are the "desired behaviors" the tabletop gamers are resisting, and why is it bad for them to focus on concrete goals instead of social conversations? Why does it matter if they relate cynically to the content? What content?
    It appears to be talking about companies in the "transmedia" area, which don't want to embrace rpg gamers.

The Designer Monologues Blog Archive Transmedia (Part One)

The Designer Monologues Blog Archive Transmedia (Part Two)

The Designer Monologues Blog Archive Transmedia (Part Three)

Mod Squad
    Orcus on an Off-Day (Lvl 22)

Blog Entries

Ignore Umbran
    Quote Originally Posted by Malcom Sheppard
    Because it was easy to track user origins, we knew this was more true for gamers, than general users. So the counterargument that everybody on the internet is like this doesnt work. They arent.
    I'm not sure he's correct as he thinks, here. How people behave depends on what they feel their role or position is in the endeavor.

If you court someone for their expertise in a particular field, they will tend to act like an expert in that field. You've brought them there because you think they know more than you do about the field - so they're going to act like they know more than you. If, however, they aren't professionals that field, they won't tend to act like professionals.

Someone who acts like they know more than you, but is unprofessional about it - doesn't that sound like a jerk to you?

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Ignore ggroy
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by Umbran View Post
    I'm not sure he's correct as he thinks, here. How people behave depends on what they feel their role or position is in the endeavor.

If you court someone for their expertise in a particular field, they will tend to act like an expert in that field. You've brought them there because you think they know more than you do about the field - so they're going to act like they know more than you. If, however, they aren't professionals that field, they won't tend to act like professionals.

Someone who acts like they know more than you, but is unprofessional about it - doesn't that sound like a jerk to you?
    It is possible to come across "professionals" who behave and speak in a very unprofessional manner, such as in some areas of high finance.

CreativeMountainGames.com COPPER SUBSCRIBER
    Lama (Lvl 13)

Ignore Mark
    My communities:

Quote Originally Posted by ggroy View Post
    Article about why some companies are staying away from tabletop rpg gamers.

Why You Cant Have Nice Things | Mob | United | Malcolm | Sheppard

That's EN World's eyebeams, IIRC.

Quote Originally Posted by ggroy View Post

And that's EN World's GMSkarka.

Perhaps someone could tweet them and they could join the discussion in this thread.
    Check out 30 Things Can Happen! A System-Free Sourcebook for Fantasy RPGs.

Follow on CMG Google Group, Facebook, Twitter @MarkCMG, and the Creative Mountain Games website, the Grymvald Gazetteer (Campaign Setting) website, and

"Griffins & Grottos" - MF WARS (Medieval Fantasy Wargame and Roleplaying System) & "Surcoat" - MF CMG (Medieval Fantasy Combat Miniatures Game) website.

Defender (Lvl 8)

Ignore Cor_Malek
    My communities:

Well, one company, to be specific. And all his bullet points on how bad gamers are can be summed up by "well, d'uh?".

"Instead of having social conversations, they focused on concrete goals."
    Really? RPG gamers being nerd-like? Unheard of!

"They related to content in a cynical fashion."
    They probably played dwarfs a lot. SeewhatIdidthar? Explained further by point above and some of those below, but: a person roleplaying a fairy tale creature in fictional world of magic is either extremely romantic, cynical, or probably both. With a sprinkle of crazy.

"They dissuaded other users from getting involved with the content."
    Banter, it might mean something, probably in specific context of that client, but I have no idea what. In most basic form, disproved by this site and forums, as well as almost every other RPG-related community I know.

"They resisted most desired behaviors (that is, the stuff that actually might make money)."
    Most desired by your client. This does not mean desired by his clients. I'm actually quite flattered by this, as it proves that gamers are more intelligent (or rather less gullible) than his avarage customer.

"They complained all the goddamn time."
    Gamers are accustomed to contesting rules of their chosen Universe, and if they don't like them - they change them. What the hell did you expect?
    Also, some business models are based on idea of client suffering, but not having balls to complain which lowers cost of support. See point above.
    "Two little goblins, out in the sun. Down came a griffin, and there was one."

Ignore maddman75
    My communities:

Most gamers are nice, interesting people. Reality is that it takes 100 of those people to counteract meeting one jerk or social miscreant.
    Looking for gaming in Springfield, IL? Check out my Meetup Group.

• Closed Thread
    Page 1 of 31 1234567891011 ... LastLast