companies staying away from rpg gamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sammael

Adventurer
In other words, RPG companies should stop developing RPGs and focus on other areas, because this will make the irritating RPG people go away.

Oh wait. They're already doing this (White Wolf's focus on TCGs, new Warhammer packaged as a board game, WotC's aggressive push of D&D Encounters*).

No wonder the RPG hobby is dying.

* which includes blackmail tactics such as "your store must run D&D Encounters if you want to be able to order the new exclusive Orcus mini or the beholder mini pack from us"

Rpg gamers as a group often think outside the box and are somewhat experienced at different types of problem solving.

Companies that want to run a game of bend over the customer find that the rpg gamer crowd doesn't appreciate this railroad and questions their house rules.

Does this about sum it up?

Shazman

Banned
Banned
So let's see. He actually calls us "names" that would be censored on any decent, civilized public forum. He then says we are bad customers because we don't mindlessly go along with everything big companies do, and we don't hand them our money for products we don't like. Seriously, who is the jerk here? Pot meet kettle.

Dausuul

Legend
Hmm... well, I'm still not totally clear on the specifics. In general, he does have a point. There are a whole bunch of dickwads in the gaming community; a situation that both results from and helps to perpetuate the status of said community as a dumping ground for social rejects. Sometimes society rejected those people for a good reason. And it is precisely the people who can't fit in anyplace else who are apt to be the most fanatical gamers.

That said, the gaming community has other, more positive traits; creativity, intelligence, dedication, technical talent (lots of computer geeks), and ferocious loyalty. Seems like there ought to be potential there for a company with the right business model. But that business model is not necessarily one that would succeed with other demographics. I think perhaps Mr. Sheppard, being himself a gamer, was looking at the community with rose-tinted glasses--seeing what he wanted to see instead of what the community really is.

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Without specifics I think the point is rather pointless. I'm sure we can find idiots in any segment of the population on and off line. The article is so general I think one could remove gamers and insert something like sports fan and it would still ring true.

Doug McCrae

Legend
I agree with Malcolm Sheppard, rpgers are more likely to be dicks than the average person. I'd like to see him expand on his first list of bullet points though as I'm not quite sure what he's referring to.

broghammerj

Explorer
Certainly there has been the mindset from the beginning of the hobby that the game is mine (me personally) and ours (gamers, my group, the colletctive hobby, etc). The lead designers from WotC are gamers and fall into that "ours" category as well. We have been trained since the days of Gygax to take what we like and make it our own.

I am not terribly surprised by the attitude of questioning, criticizing, and commenting. Now obviously that can be done in a socially acceptable, non-disruptive fashion....or you can be a jerk about it. The problem is there will always be internet toughguys.

This is very different from golf where I don't stand around with my buddies and debate if we should give bonus points for making par out of the sandtrap or require the first shot off the tee has to hit the clubhouse before it is allowed on the green. Differnt set of constructs, rules, and social norms.

pawsplay

Hero
I have gleaned the following:

1. Shockingly, many RPG producers don't like the fact that consumers complain about their products, even though the "industry standard," if applied to other sorts of products, would result in recalls that would make Toyota blush.
2. Gareth popped in to make the completely unsupportable argument that people who purchase RPGs, which require a fair amount of prep, plus creative play, are more akin to passive consumers than to artists.

My conclusion: it's not the fan base who don't get it. I don't make a lot of money off RPG writing, but it's enjoyable and satisfying to me. I have a great of respect for RPG fans and I believe they are an appreciative and wonderful audience to write for, if you can deliver.

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
Hmm... well, I'm still not totally clear on the specifics. In general, he does have a point. There are a whole bunch of dickwads in the gaming community; a situation that both results from and helps to perpetuate the status of said community as a dumping ground for social rejects. Sometimes society rejected those people for a good reason. And it is precisely the people who can't fit in anyplace else who are apt to be the most fanatical gamers.
I do not think it is specific to gamers, there are people that act like jerks and feel excessivly entitled everywhere. Nothing in the post would convince me that gamers are especially worse than the general population.
In my experience if gamers have a fault in this area, it is that gamers will tolerate behaviour that would in other places lead to homicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases