Novice DM Looking for Advice

Draconicarmagon

First Post
Hi everyone! :)

I'm new here and new to D&D, though I have run games before. Prior to D&D I ran Palladium Rifts which I ended up hating with a passion and before that I tried Aberrant. I ended up not liking how hard it was to deal with over powered PCs so I stopped running it aswell.

But D&D seams to have stuck, its not to overpowering, the CR system and rules are easy and theirs a lot to fall back on, all in all I find it a very well though out and balanced game.

Though sadly I have less then 9 months of GMing under my belt :-S

I just need advice on how to handle my players, one in particular is extreamly maliputative and devious. I don't want to boot as hes a long time friend and I really need to learn how to deal with that type of player anyways.

Other stuff is just general advice on things, running dungeons, adventrues, handing out treasure, stuff like that.

oooooo before I forget, what should I invest in beyond that books?

Thanks for reading guys and for helping me out :D

Pbartender

First Post
I just need advice on how to handle my players, one in particular is extreamly maliputative and devious. I don't want to boot as hes a long time friend and I really need to learn how to deal with that type of player anyways.

First, a little clarification... Is it the player who is manipulative and devious out of game? Or is it the character that he's playing that's manipulative and devious within the game?

It makes a big difference.

Also, how is this devious manipulation causing problems?

Draconicarmagon

First Post
its the player, hes been gaming for a few years and he tricked me into moving into a square once so the cleric of the grope could get a AoO. Its junk like that, he takes advantage of the fact I'm a novice ~sigh~ I know the rules (kinda), I do have them stickied in the book but sometimes I just forget. The other players are fine even the most experianced player in my groupe dosn't do that, shes cool.

Hes also bad for questioning my motives/ideas and looking at me like an idiot....hes making me second guess my plot at times....Hes probably doing it just to keep me off baanace but it pisses me off and I need to learn how to deal with a player like that.

Pbartender

First Post
Is this guy someone you'd normally consider a good friend outside the game? Or is he just an acquaintance that you happen to game with?

Draconicarmagon

First Post
A long time friend he got me into gaming in the first place, started as a player but found I wanted to make my own story. But I never noticed what a bastard he was to the GM...untill recently that is. I did give him crap after that AoO incident but I need to get him to stop doing the other stuff.

Pbartender

First Post
A long time friend he got me into gaming in the first place, started as a player but found I wanted to make my own story.

Hrm... That can can make it easier or more difficult, depending on him.

Here's the thing to remember...

The DM of a group, like it or not, is the de facto leader. You need the respect, confidence and trust of your players in order to have the authority to make judgments and rulings over what their characters and the NPCs do, and not have the players challenge you over it. That's a lot of responsibility and a lot of work, and often takes a lot of practice if you don't naturally have those sorts of leadership talents.

To use the analogy of the wolf pack, the DM must step up into the role of "Alpha Male". If the DM doesn't, one of the players will, and the DM will lose control of his game.

Now, even in ignorance of the game (you are still learning ropes, there's nothing wrong with that), you can still show the sort of confidence that's needed. Don't be snarky about it, but be firm with him. As a friend, tell your problem player, privately and outside the game, to lay off. Tell him that your doing your best to learn how to DM a good game, that you've never done it before, and that instead of being a jerk, you could really use his help to that end.

Then, if he doesn't play ball, go ahead and call him out in front of the other players when he pulls his tricks in-game. Again, don't throw a hissy fit, be as polite and respectful as you possibly can, but be firm. "Knock it off, you're not helping," in a simply stern voice will often do the trick.

On top of the that, you want to be clear with the group in general that you're new to DMing. If they're good players they'll understand. If there's a rule you're unsure about, make a quick temporary judgment call (and try to make these rulings in favor of the player, whenever reasonable) to keep the game moving, and have one of the unoccupied players look it up for you. If make a mistake about something, there's nothing wrong with admitting it and finding the solution for future situations.

More Later...

Dandu

First Post
But D&D seams to have stuck, its not to overpowering, the CR system and rules are easy and theirs a lot to fall back on, all in all I find it a very well though out and balanced game.
Not at all.

Food for thought:
  • Wizards, Druids, and Clerics vs Fighters, Paladins, and Monks
  • Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, Shapechange.
  • Contingency
  • Lesser Planar Binding, Planar Binding, Greater Planar Binding
  • Timestop
  • Divine Power
  • Simulacrum

Last edited:

Shazman

Banned
Banned
Not at all.

Food for thought:
  • Wizards, Druids, and Clerics vs Fighters, Paladins, and Monks
  • Polymorph, Polymorph Any Object, Shapechange.
  • Contingency
  • Lesser Planar Binding, Planar Binding, Greater Planar Binding
  • Timestop
  • Divine Power
  • Simulacrum

He didn't ask for opinions on why 3.5 is unbalanced. He asked for advice on dealing with a problem player. Besides, sometimes a game with unbalanced elements can be more fun than a game where every one is equal so no one is special like 4.0.

Dandu

First Post
I didn't ask for opinions on whether my opinions were relevant, but that's what I got.

New DMs often have the idea that they should stick to the rules and that the core books are balanced. This is something that can work against them if a player takes advantage of the fact - or do you have something against giving novinces practical guidance?

And as for the problem player, tell him politely but firmly to change what he is doing. If he fails to comply, crush him. Happy now?

Last edited:

Remove ads