DM Genie Fan Site

Janik

First Post
Hi DigitalDark,

I'm glad you like the program!

I am working on adding a file-sharing board on the DM Genie website, but it is not ready yet. I hope to have the files sorted by type, with searchable descriptions, etc. You are of course quite welcome to share files on Yahoo Groups, or anywhere else!

On the group, you ask that all files be password-protected. How is that implemented?

Thanks,

digitaldark

First Post
I'm doing the same thing done on the DM Familiar Unofficial Yahoo group....for stuff that is not OGC it needs a password that is from the source itself (so only those with the book can actually open it)....the passwords themselves would be implemented when making a zip file of the content...

tmaaas

First Post
Hi Janik,

The purpose of an "unofficial" site for DM Genie is to give fans a place to trade DM Genie files while protecting the program and its author.

The purpose of the password protection is to protect the rights of the original creators of any source material made available for DM Genie. Usually the password consists of a specific word taken from the supplement/module (or whatever), such as ‘the fifth word the heading on page 28”.

‘Free’ web supplements are password protected because they are not necessarily ‘public domain’. Totally OGL material is password protected out of respect for the original creators (although with a valid OGL license they would not need the password, but it is required by the informal group rules anyway). The only exception to passwording files is when the original creator/publisher (or whoever holds rights to the material) gives explicit permission for its use with DM Genie.

This benefits the users by providing pre-entered data for popular modules and supplements.

This benefits you by providing more reasons for people to use your program, while insulating you from possible copyright infringement issues.

This benefits the creators of the source material by providing more reasons for people to buy a given supplement or module. This of course is subject to debate since it’s not too hard to bypass password protection although I don’t think it’s a big issue. But the publishers might (and probably will) feel otherwise.

In general, you should not get into the file hosting business, except for those which fall into the ‘explicit permission from the source creator/publisher’ category and include a propery OGL license. (Thus, do not make it possible for anyone to upload files for everyone else’s use; only host files which have passed your personal inspection and for which you have permission.) Leave the rest to the unofficial group.

Janik

First Post
Hello Tmaas,

The password system is a very good idea, it reminds me of the copy-protection schemes of old computer games...

I would like to allow users to upload material, but rather than make them immediately available to all, I will review them and make sure they are OGC. If they pass the inspection, then they would be made available. In particular, I'd love to see people write their own adventures and make them freely available. For this, and other user-created material, there won't be much trouble with licenses etc.

digitaldark

First Post
Now that I'm using software to help manage my games....maybe I'll upload some of my adventures (I do all original adventures...half of which are made on the fly...)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases