Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Grandmaster of Flowers (Lvl 18)

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore Relique du Madde

[icons] Unconventional Heroes. [OOC]

UNCONVENTIONAL HEROES

WARNING: This game is not for the easily offended. It will contain bizarre situations, crude attempts at humor/satire/parody, super-hero/comic-book tropes, internet memes, and will be BadWrongFun.

ISSUE I: All New, All Different.

Quote Originally Posted by USHA Press Release
    ATTENTION CRIME FIGHTERS!

The United Super Hero Alliance is currently looking for a group of heroes (4 or 5 max) to form the backbone of their newly announced West Coast Expansion team. If you interested in joining America's premiere crime fighting organization, send your audition tape to [REDACTED].

The top contenders will be given tickets to attend this years 10th Annual Powers-Xpo, at the LA Staple Center, where the finalized team will be announced during the USHA diner and reception.
    After sending it audition videos to the USHA website, a group of would be super heroes found themselves invited to a the 10th Annual Powers-Xpo's reception and dinner. Unknown to our heroes, a group of eco-terrorists led by the Cluster Duck and his partner, the "Zoo-Keeper" raided the convention and turned the assembled heroes into ducks using Duck-ification Carbines...

After a lengthy investigation, and several battles, our heroes defeated the Zoo Keeper and the Cluster Duck's minions at the Los Angeles Coliseum where they planned to assassinate the Mayor of Los Angeles.

With the assassination plat thwarted, our Heroes then headed towards Watts Towers and prevented the Cluster Duck from enacting his scheme to turn the populace of South-East into poultry....

Here is some basic info about the game:

The game takes place in an alternate universe where the supernatural/paranormal is known to exist.

There are several well known subspecies of humans that exist on earth including Therians (humanoid felines, canines, etc who are the decedents of lycanthropes), Atlantians, and Morlocks . Traditional fantasy races routinely access earth through magical means.

The setting uses a standard comic-book styled cosmology. This of course means that all pantheons exist, there are multiple dimensions and planes of existence, angels exist, and demons exist, and old ones, "oh my!"

House Rules and information for Volume Two (MM3e)

House Rules
    Character Creation
    --- Power Level 8, 120 pp with the lowest Modified effect cost being 1pp:2 ranks.
    --- Ability Scores: All ability scores above 7 must be enhanced.
    --- Powers: Max Regeneration 5. Max Immortality 10.
    --- Characters can not be "villains" although "anti-heroes" are ok.

Sample Character

CRÈME LATTE
    “Now serving one steaming hot cup of justice!”

NAME: Christina Morrison aka Crème Latte OCCUPATION: Barista, Crime fighter
    AFFILIATION: Imperial Valley Vanguard BASE: Salton City, California

Description
    Christina Morrison is a young, petite, Caucasian woman with long blond hair, emerald green eyes, and a light tan. Christina is confident, energetic woman who is known for her upbeat, overtly optimistic personality, and her love of finely brewed coffee. As Crème Latte, Christina fights crime in a pink and light brown leather outfit styled after French culinary uniform.

Background
    Christina Morrison was an average 19 year old Southern Californian girl who constantly dreams of earning enough money to leave the Imperial Valley and relocate to a more prosperous, coastal region, of the Golden State. Christina works as a full time Barista for Café-A-Latte, an upscale coffee house located in Salton City California. Christina’s life would have been completely bland and uneventful if it wasn’t for her deciding to visit he coworkers one eventful day.

While Christina was visiting her coworkers, Café-A-Latte was robbed by members of the local mafia. Finding themselves trapped due to the arrival of a Salton City Police officer who was on break, the mafia members decided to take hostages. Among the hostages taken was Christina Morrison, who was kidnapped by the mafia as they fed, and was to be released to police authority only if the police allowed her kidnappers. However fearing that Christina would id them when released, her kidnappers decided to pour a deadly dose of radioactive chemicals into her latte-café-mocha-explosion as they approached the boarder. Unexpectedly, instead of quickly killing Christina, the chemicals fused with coffee’s caffeine molecules, giving Christina minor super powers.

As a result of her ordeal, Christina decided that she had enough of the Russian Mob’s control over Salton City and that someone had to help protect the City’s cafés, coffee houses, and eating establishments from the mob’s rule.

character Sheet
    CRÈME LATTE PL 6
    ABILITIES: [28pp]
    STR: 0, STA: 1, AGL: 4, DEX: 2, FGT: 1, INT: 0, AWE: 2, PRE: 4

OFFENSE:
    Initiative + 8
    Espresso-matic Cannon +6 (Ranged [Diminished] Damage [Coffee] 6, other effects), Unarmed 3 (Close damage 0)

DEFENSE: [16pp]
    Dodge 6, Parry 6, Fort 5, Tough 6 / 2 (Flatfooted, 1 without armor), Will 5

SKILLS: [10pp]
    Acrobatics 1(+5), Close Combat: Melee 2 (+3), Expertise: Barista 5 (+5), Expertise: Popular Culture 2 (+2), Insight 2 (+4), Perception 3 (+5), Persuasion 1 (+5/10), Ranged Combat: Espresso-matic Cannon 2 (+6), Sleight of Hand 1 (+3), Vehicles 1 (+3)

ADVANTAGES: [18pp]
    Agile Bluff, Attractive 2, Benefit: Wealth 1, Daze (Bluff), Defensive Roll 4, Equipment 3, Fascinate (Persuasion), Inspire 2, Move-by-Action, Quick Draw, Skill Mastery (Expertise: Barista)

POWERS [18pp]
    Caffeinated Blood: Enhanced Trait 1 (Improved Initiative 1), Immunity 6 (Fatigue Effects, Need for Sleep), Quickness 5, Speed 1 [13pp]
    Espresso-matic Cannon: Array (4 points), Removable (-1 points)
    • Instant Brew: Create 4 (Coffee, Water; Extras: Innate, Permanent, Precise; Flaws: Proportional) [4pp]
    • Caffeinated Blast: Ranged Blast 6 (Coffee; Flaws: Diminished Range 2, Fades) [1pp]
    • Coffee Slick: Ranged Affliction 2 (Coffee; Resisted by Reflexes; Hindered, Prone, Incapacitated; Flaws: Instant Recovery) [1pp]

EQUIPMENT 15 / 15 points
    Camera, Smart Phone, Restraints, Leather Coat
    VEHICLE: VESPA SCOOTER 10 points
    SIZE: Medium; STR 1, SPD 6 (50 mph); DEF 0, TOUGH 6
    Features: Alarm, Navigation System

COMPLICATIONS
    Addiction: Crème Latte is addicted to coffee.
    Enemies: Salton City’s Russian Mafia.
    Motivation: Crème Latte is motivated by the desire for recognition and fame.
    Power Loss: Crème Latte must drink at least one 10oz caffeinated drink every 8 hours to gain access to her Caffeinated Blood Powers.
    TOTALS: Abilities 28 + Advantages 18 + Skills 10 + Powers 18 + Defenses 16 = 90pp

House Rules for Volume One (ICONS)

House Rules
    -Bonus effects/powers as "alternate power uses."
    ---example: Blast (Exploding)[Shooting] 5 can be used to create an exploding blast and a non explosive blast.
    -Hero Advancement.
    ---Levels: 1 pt. Starting Determination to increase Ability/Powers Levels.
    ---New Powers: 1pt. to gain a new level 1 power.
    ---Specialties: 1pt. Starting Determination to gain a new specialty or increase a specialty level.
    ---Stunts: 1 pt. Starting Determination to gain a stunt that was successfully attempted 10 times.
    -Possession merges by default (RAW as challenge)

Character Creation Rules
    -Method 1: 45 pts. budget
    ---Additional power effects cost 1 pt. but still count as a power (for calculating determination)
    ---Character must start with at least 2 Qualities, 1 Challenge
    -Method II: Random Generation
    ---You may reroll the level on bonus powers ONLY if the level REALLY sucks
    -All characters must have at least 2 Qualities, 1 Challenge

Rules Related Links:
    -ICONS random character generation. (Within this thread).
    -Determination (in this thread)

Other Links:
    -The write up of eveyrone's powers (Within this thread)
    -ICONS Combat Crib sheet

Game Related Threads.
    - Unconventional Heroes: Volume 1
    --- Guide to Earth.NRK.Zeta: Unconventional Heroes Vol.1 (Rogues Gallery 1)
    --- Unconventional Heroes. Issue 1: All-New, All-Different.
    --- Guide to Earth.NRK.Zeta: Unconventional Heroes Volume 2 (Rogues Gallery 2)
    --- Unconventional Heroes. Issue 2: ????
    --- Unconventional Heroes. Volume 2 [OOC]

Other Links
    - Invisible Castle (If you do not want to use the ENWorld die roller)
    Last edited by Relique du Madde; Sunday, 6th March, 2011 at 01:40 AM.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

Blog Entries

ø Ignore Bold or Stupid
    Yes count me in I like bad wrong fun...

Either playing a fey desire reflection shape shifter (using peoples fears to enhance her effectiveness) or a male forcefield user (think early Captain Britain).

However I don't have a copy of the rules... So some assistance with build or a pointer to a legal and cheap way to get them would be great
    D&D_Army signatory

Original member of the Rouseketeers!

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

ø Ignore Herobizkit
    Yes. I've been wanting to see this system and been dying for a Supers game that didn't need 10 hours of my day to make a character. I've always wanted to play a character with powers over light and gravity, making him space themed, or one of those multiple elemental body types like Captain Planet.

Also, a power-armor themed character would be great; I'd want a Saber cyclone armor (from Robotech)... or an actual intelligent transforming Robot.
    Last edited by Herobizkit; Friday, 25th June, 2010 at 01:51 PM.

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore Shayuri
    Hmm! Sounds interesting. Need more details on the system of course, but it looks rather cool!

As for ideas...well, Hero beat me to the power armor, but failing that perhaps some kind of Venome-esque symbiote type deal, or...um...I'll think on it. I'm sure I can come up with something original.

Guide (Lvl 11)

Blog Entries

ø Ignore Herobizkit
    Power armor's my third choice, Shayuri. Feel free to go that way. The only thing I can tell you re: system is to check out the sample character and extrapolate. At first glance it looks similar to the old OLD Marvel system.

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

For everyone without a copy, I'm looking around for an SRD (Steve Kenison was gracious enough to make the game OGL). However, you can obtain a PDF version for 15 bux at the enworld store. But until then, I'll also compile a list of the powers and specialties and post it tonight. But LUCKILY for all, here is some basic INFO:

ICONS is M&M's, MARVEL Super Heroes and FATES bastard orgy lovechild.

PROwess = Melee Attack bonus
    CooRDination = Dexterity and is the ranged attack bonus
    STRength = Psyical stength and your body's endurance.
    INTellect = How smart you are.
    AWarEness = Your preception
    WiLL power = Your strength of personality. Think of this as charisma and wisdom.
    STAmina = STR + WLL. This is basically your HP
    DETermination = Basically does a lot of things Hero points did in M&M. This is equal to 6 - ("number of powers" + number of ability scores 7 or over). Minimum 1.

All Ability scores and powers are valued between 1 - 10. With ability scores 3 is average human, 7 is super human (considered a super power). Each ability score costs 1 point per level.

ICONS uses an effect based system, so descriptors are a necessity. Powers can be either devices or innate. Each power costs 1 point per level.. BUT some powers are considered to be worth 2 powers when calculating determination. Characters can only have 5 powers max.

Specialties cost 1 point. [Expert] specialties are 2 points. [Master] specialties are 3 points.

ASPECTS: These are divided into QUALITIES your character has and CHALLENGES your character can face. Think of these like being complications (M&M) or advantages/disadvantages (TRUE20). Characters can have up to 5 qualities and 5 challenges. ASPECTS are also used to gain determination or to effect the outcome of a scene through the use of strategic RETCONs("I can't do any damage! Maybe there is a chink in it's armor I can exploit!" [Using 1 det to make INT to do damage instead of STR.] or "Crap! There's a chink in my armor!" [Gaining 1 Determination for a penalty to Blocking]). This is called tagging (qualities) / compelling (challenges). If you don't want to accept a compelled challenge you can spend a point of determination to avoid it.

The rolling mechanic is non-standard: 1d6 - 1d6 + [Ability Score/Power's Level] +/- Modifiers.

Time is measured using a comic book metaphor. Panels contain (one action). 1 page contain's everyone's actions. And 10 pages in combat is about a minute. Multiple pages form 1 chapter (basically anything that happens at one location or scene is considered a chapter). Multiple chapters become 1 issue (everything that happens in a game session or pbp thread).
    Last edited by Relique du Madde; Friday, 25th June, 2010 at 09:43 PM.

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

Well in the game everyone was running to the amphatheater while and arac knight asked Prodigy a question that was along the lines of "should I turn off what might be a key comppnent to the badguy's machine of ultimate evil?" And never got a responce.

Basically, the answer *IS* really important to what happens next.

Myrmidon (Lvl 10)

ø Ignore Voda Vosa
    Igor, Pull the switch!
    Visit The Link Village of Voda Vosa in the RG for complete game links, and stuff!

Enchanter (Lvl 12)

I Defended The Walls!

ø Ignore Shayuri
    Oh heck, it was me?!

Erm, okay! I'm on this.

Is there a skill or roll Prodigy can make to help her with the answer, or shall I just give my best educated guess?

Blog Entries
    I Defended The Walls!

You could make your best guess, but if you don't like 50/50 odds, then an Intellect (modified by electronics) is probably the safest way to go since you are almost guaranteed an automatic success AND could discover something unexpected (and very beneficial) in the process.

+ Log in or register to post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast