[icons] Unconventional Heroes. [OOC]

Walking Dad

First Post

Walking Dad,

Is it me or does it look like Steve Kenson purposely made ICONS be like M&M 3e lite but with some different mechanics, and alot of the complex d20 addons/baggage taken away?

The Hero Point / Determination Mechanic is more advanced, but I think you are on something here... (If you look at Silver Age Sentinels d20, you can also see it is by the same guy... what is good, I like Kenson's style.)

But I hope that 3e M&M also trims some fat... but not loosing weight (like ICONs), but transform it to muscle! (unified tables, clarified powers, ...)

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I posted a link to this Combat Crib Sheet on page 1. The only thing that it doesn't mention or explain certain things like how doing something while moving, carrying, catching, or lifting gives you a -1 penalty.

With that said, here is a quick fight between Guardian and a thug with two minions.

[sblock="Combat Example"]
Page 1
While on flying towards a lunch date, the Guardian spots three men trying to break into a junked car. Initially he tries to ignore the crime, but a little nagging voice compels him into action.
Challenge: Reluctant Hero
---------------------------
OOC: Fine, I'll accept the compel. :p

Guardian: "Blast it to a fictional realm! You're not going make me late for my date!" The Guardian shoots his Light Blast at the closest minion using his Light Blast (from the above).

Blast (Shooting):(1d6 -1d6)+5=6 +1 - ??
--------------
Guardian Determination: +1= Det 4

Guardian Blast vs Minion 1 -> Major success

The burst of light rips through the minion's body, defeating him.

"I'm getting out of here. Boys, take him out!" The thug begins to run.
Thug's distance to the car is now Close. Like that matters to someone who can fly. :p

Minion 2 pulls out his gun and fires.
(1d6 -1d6) + ?? -5 ->Failure
The minion glances at his fallen companion. "Oh crap! we're hosed!"

Page 2
----------
"Science has prevailed!" Guardian laughs. "Coward! You're not going to escape!" Guardian rushes the Thug.
Aerial Rush:(1d6 -1d6)+5=2
----------
Guardian's Rush attack vs. Thug -> Failure.
The thug ducks as the Guardian flies pasted him.

"I'm going to clip your wings!" The Thug takes out his gun and fires.
Shooting: (1d6 -1d6)+ ??-5= ??-4 ->Failure
The thug's attack misses.

Minion 2 moves to the thugs side. "Boss, he's too good! We need to double team the angel!"

Page 3
-------
While strafing, the Guardian opens fire as he yells: (Tagging Aspect:) "I AM NOT AN ANGEL! I'M A SCIENTIST!"
OOC: I want to all my determination to negate penalties on a multiple shooting attack vs the Thug and his minion.* If I'm not allowed to do this I'll aim my shot at the Thug.
(1d6 -1d6)+5=6
-------
OOC: I'm allowing it.
Guardian Blast(Shooting) vs Thug -> Major Success.

The thug received damage an is still standing.... barely.
Guardian Blast(Shooting) vs Minion 2-> Major Success.
A blast of light rips through minion 2, defeating him.

"You bastard! Come down here and fight me like a man!!" The thug fires at the Guardian.
(1d6 -1d6) ??- 5= ??-3-> Moderate Success
Damage 3 - Invulnerability 0 = 3
8 sta -3 dmg = 5 sta
Guardian: 5 sta.

Page 4
-------------------
"You ripped my favorite shirt! You're going to pay for that!" .
Blast(Shooting): (1d6 -1d6)+5=6+1 = 7
----------
Guardian Blast(Shooting to stun) vs Thug -> Major Success.
The Guardian's blast hit's a thug against the head, defeating him.

Guardian: 5 sta.

END COMBAT
---------
*Determined efforts, by default graint a +2 bonus per 1pt of determination when trying to gain a minimum result on a test. Therefore, 1pt. Determination equal a +2 bonus. The multiple attack combat maneuver uses one roll with a -4 penalty against to each target's CoOrdinarion or Prowess.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases