[icons] Unconventional Heroes. [OOC]

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Rules questions:

How do actions work? I presume 1 attack/round how do dodge/block work? What are the basic attack target numbers? Can I get a list of effects on paralysis?

Bold or Stupid

First Post
Yeah, I didnt understand that 1d6-1d6 thing´on attac rolls.

That I get roll 2d6 of different colours (assuming real dice not invisible castles) one is taken away from the other giving a number between -5 and +5.

Example
I roll a red(+) die and yellow(-) die

I get the following results

Red 2 Yellow 1= +1
R1 Y3= -2
R6 Y1= +5
R3 Y5= -2

and so one.
I'm used to this mechanic being an early uptake Feng Shui player.

Voda Vosa

First Post
So what do you consider each result? is it vs some particular defense or just an overall success or failure? Where does you power level come in?

Bold or Stupid

First Post
So what do you consider each result? is it vs some particular defense or just an overall success or failure? Where does you power level come in?

I believe it's (1d6-1d6)+power level or attribute. I presume specialties are a +level bonus. I have no idea what the target numbers are, hence I asked to.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Since Bold or Stupid described the rolling mechanic, I'll answer the other questions.

Rules questions:

How do actions work?
See below.
I presume 1 attack/round
Yes everyone gets one action/attack a round.

how do dodge/block work?

This is where things get iffy. RAW badguys/npcs don't do attack rolls (they are assumed to hit automatically), instead players do Dodge/Evade rolls to avoid the attacks.

Mechanically speaking, what I posted in terms of the badguys actions was a slight inversion since I tested to see if the badguy hit rather if the PC dodged the attack. The only difference is that this method makes combat grittier (since badguy could get varying degrees of success).

When we start I'll use RAW. meaning I'll make your roll to see if you avoid enemy attacks.

Blocking, however is a declared action (since you are bracing for an attack) based on STR. What it does is reduce the amount of damage that you would receive from a bashing, blast, or rush attack if you don't have invulnerability. If you also have invulnerability you can block shooting or slash attacks, however you use the lesser of strength or invulnerability for this test.

What are the basic attack target numbers?
So what do you consider each result? is it vs some particular defense or just an overall success or failure?

The "target number" is a number based on an opponent's abilities, powers level, or an arbitrary difficulty. In case of combat it's Prowess (melee) or Coordination (range). When you make a roll your essentially trying to end up with a result a result that is over zero.

So, in essence each rolls look like this:

[Effort] - Difficulty +/- Modifier = Result
[(1d6 - 1d6 Roll Result) + (Attribute/Power Level + Specialty)] - (Target's Level/Difficulty) +/- Modifier = Result

Lets assume an "average" ability (3) with no specialty, and a "below average"" target level/difficulty (2) with no modifiers
[ (5 - 2) + (3 +0) ] - 2
[ 3 + 3 ] - 2
[ 6 ] - 2

I now check a result table to see what kind of result you got.

Effect Outcome
0 > Failure. The effort fails to achieve the desired effect.
0-2 Moderate success. The effort succeeds by a small margin.
3-4 Major success. The effort succeeds enough to be noticeably well done.
5+ Massive success. Not only is the effort noticeably successful, it has additional secondary benefits.

Result = Major Success

Can I get a list of effects on paralysis?
Sure.

ICONS said:
Paralysis
Your touch can render opponents unable to move. To paralyze an opponent you must roll a test to touch the target and a Paralysis test against your target’s Strength. With a moderate success the target is paralyzed for one page. A major success paralyzes the target for pages equal to your Paralysis level.

Anyways, I'm interpreting this as the classic "opponent can't do anything except use mental powers" type of paralysis opposed to the "opponent can't move but could still attack" type of paralysis.

Yeah, that's it. In icons things pretty much come down to: "You can/can't do stuff , you get penalties when you try to do stuff, and you can/can't do stuff and your strength is draining.

Where does you power level come in?
It depends on the power. Some cases the powers level is used for the roll, others its an aility. Others you roll using one ability (to see if it hits), then you roll/subtract your power from something to determine the effect.

For instance, most attack abilities use your ability to hit, then the power's level when determining it's effect.

Last edited:

Remove ads