[icons] Unconventional Heroes. [OOC]

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
And I don't think there is a reason why to roll again. It is the same 'power slot', so you will still have the power level 1. Same happened to my character. I don't think the bonus power option is for re-rolling low scores.

Just my 2 cents, I'm not the DM. But the random method let's you roll the power levels after you are sure what powers you take.

:p Yeah, but when I use the random generator I tend to do thing a little backwards. That is, I tend to the roll power levels last (after I decide on swapping out). But in truth.. I was being overly generous with that level 1 power.

Walking Dad

First Post
:p Yeah, but when I use the random generator I tend to do thing a little backwards. That is, I tend to the roll power levels last (after I decide on swapping out). But in truth.. I was being overly generous with that level 1 power.

Actually, the power that ended with ran 1 for me was originally 'alteration ray' which I changed to my origin bonus power. If I could re-roll too... ;)

Life Support PL (2d6=5)

So PL 4 and I would end up with an character exactly as powerful (point wise) as if I had used point buy ;)

Voda Vosa

First Post
Xokzatle

Origin, Prowess, Coordination, Strength, Intellect, Awareness, Will Power, Powers, Power Type

2d6 → [5,6] = (11) Unearthly I

3 Prowess
3 Coordination
4 Strength
7 Intellect
7 Awareness
6 Will Power

2d6 → [5,2] = (7) 3 powers

Roll Lookup

2d6 → [5,2] = (7) Mental
2d6 → [1,5] = (6) Defensive
2d6 → [4,3] = (7) Mental

Roll Lookup

I'll take 2 mental powers

Power rolls:

1d6 → [4] = (4)
1d6 → [6] = (6)
1d6 → [4] = (4)
1d6 → [6] = (6)

I'll take Possession and Merger as bonus power

Roll Lookup

Number of specialties: 3 (Occult, Mental resistance, Power(Possession))

Roll Lookup

Stamina = 10
Determination = 6

qualities:
Aztec High priest: Xokzatle has a broad knowledge of astronomy and aztec religion, as well as ancient knowledge of his people.
Mind senses: Xokzatle doesn't have actual ears or eyes, so he can't see or hear; he emulates those senses with his powerful brain.

challenge: Spread the word of the ancient Aztec gods and make the world a better place being a brain in a jar.

Xokzatle: The ancient Aztec wanted to preserve their most honourable priest, Xokzatle. They knew that it was his head that should be conserved, since no matter how hard they try, his body would decay after centuries. So employing magical rituals, the ancient Aztec preserved his brain, in a jar full of a magical conjunction. Xokzatle remained in his jar, buried in his mausoleum for centuries.
When tomb robbers dig in to stole his treasures, he activated his altar and stone legs raise him from the ground. Using his mental powers, he made the robbers pay the ultimate price.
Since then he wonders the world, trying to spread the word of the ancient Aztec gods, but the world has changed, and no one seems prone to accept what a brain in a walking jar says. So faithful to his teachings, Xokzatle will show with the example, and try making the world a better place.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
I would 'transfer' them to the value of each Ego, basically becoming a 40 point base character, who has 50 point Alter Egos.
Correct
1) How does the Strike power interact with strength? For example, you list it doing 'either' the Str damage, OR the damage of the Strike power, while the Bludgeoning Strike only does Str damage...does this mean an 'unarmed' strike does less than Str damage? Is there a reason to buy more than 1 rank in Strike (unless it's edged and you want to do more than Str damage)?
Unarmed attacks (standard attacks) does damage equal to your STR. This is considered non lethal damage. This mean's you can pull your punches to do less damage.

Strike [Bashing] does damage equal to your Powers Level OR STR +1 (which ever is higher. Damage one by Strike [Bashing] can be lethal or non-lethal. When you use Stike [Bashing] non lethally, you can pull your punches.

Strike [Slashing] does damage equal to the power level regardless of STR. All damage done by Strike [Slashing] is lethal and can not be pulled.

Hense the scene from the X-Force Annual.
XForce said:
Deadpool pulls out his katana.
Loa: What are you doing?
Deadpool: Don't worry kid. Wolverine uses his claws all the time without hurting people. Me and Logan are professionals. Trust me, I got this.
(Deadpool slices off an Acolyte's arm)
Deadpool: Whoops.

2) How does a 'bonus power' work? If I take 3 levels of Supersense, for 3 points, then buy Detect as a bonus power, does that mean I get 3 levels of Detect for 1 point? Or 1 level? Or is that not how it works at all?
Bonus powers are only used for randomly generated characters and are a huge misnomer.

What they do is this: They replace a power you rolled with one related to one of the powers you rolled.

So.. for example:

Lets say you rolled: Swinging and Elemental Control. Elemental control allows you to gain additional power effects as bonus powers. With this in mind, you can to ditch Swinging to obtain more options for for Elemental Control power.

3) If I buy a Blast with the Explosive rider, does that cost 1 point, or 1 point -per level-? Does it have to be a separate power from a Blast that's not explosive (say, a machine gun and missile launcher)?
It costs one point. Think of it in terms of M&M's alternate powers/extras. You have your "main power" that has an explosive extra and a alternate power that does the same damage but doesn't have the explosive extra.

4) If I go with the Serial Alter Egos, I ever get other powers via exp, or is that it forever?
ICONS's advancement is set in terms of extra determination (which could be traded off for an extra point that you can spend however you want). If you trade in a gained point of determination, all your forms get that extra point to spend.]

Actually, the power that ended with ran 1 for me was originally 'alteration ray' which I changed to my origin bonus power. If I could re-roll too... ;)

Life Support PL (2d6=5)

So PL 4 and I would end up with an character exactly as powerful (point wise) as if I had used point buy ;)
Looks like I'm allowing for one reroll for extremely crappy powers. :D

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Voda Vosa >

Don't forget that your Mind Blast Power, and to roll for it's level ala this table.

Update your Possession to: Possession (Merger) 5.
Update your determination to: Determination 1.

You also have:

Challenge (social): Brain in a jar.

Bold or Stupid>

If you're still having trouble coming up with a name. Here's a random website I found.

Everyone:

Feel free to post your character here when you feel that your character is complete.

Last edited:

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
If you looked at the Rogue's Gallery, you might have noticed the menion of Hero Advancement on the House Rules section and the fact I stuck out part of my reply to Shayuri about advancement. This is why:

Beyond the temporary determination you will get as rewards through out the course of an issue, I will also reward you with permanent raises in your starting determination at various points. You can trade in one point of starting determination to:

Levels: Increasing an ability or existing power’s level by one per point of starting determination.

Specialties: A character can improve an existing specialty by one level at the cost of a starting point of Determination, or acquire a new specialty for a starting point of Determination.

Power Stunts: After successfully performing a power stunt ten times, you can spend on point of starting Determination, to make that stunt part of your repertoire. You can preform stunts* that are part of your repertoire without spending Determination to use it.

For this reason it might be a good idea to keep track of certain power stunts that you used.

New Powers: A character may also gain a completely new power by spending one point of determination. The new power starts out at level 1 and must have an in game explanation.

* Stunts require two things to work: 1) You must tag a aspect that makes sense. 2) 1 point of determination is spent.

Last edited:

Voda Vosa

First Post
Well, power level is.... 6! Roll Lookup

Final sheet here:

Xokzatle

Unearthly I

3 Prowess
3 Coordination
4 Strength
7 Intellect
7 Awareness
6 Will Power

3 powers -1 for origin: 2 powers

Roll Lookup

2 mental powers

Roll Lookup

Possession (Merger) 5.
Mind Blast 6.

Roll Lookup

Number of specialties: 3 (Occult, Mental resistance, Power(Possession))

Roll Lookup

Stamina = 10
Determination = 1

Challenge (social): Brain in a jar.

qualities:
Aztec High priest: Xokzatle has a broad knowledge of astronomy and aztec religion, as well as ancient knowledge of his people.
Mind senses: Xokzatle doesn't have actual ears or eyes, so he can't see or hear; he emulates those senses with his powerful brain.

challenge: Spread the word of the ancient Aztec gods and make the world a better place being a brain in a jar.

Xokzatle: The ancient Aztec wanted to preserve their most honourable priest, Xokzatle. They knew that it was his head that should be conserved, since no matter how hard they try, his body would decay after centuries. So employing magical rituals, the ancient Aztec preserved his brain, in a jar full of a magical conjunction. Xokzatle remained in his jar, buried in his mausoleum for centuries.
When tomb robbers dig in to stole his treasures, he activated his altar and stone legs raise him from the ground. Using his mental powers, he made the robbers pay the ultimate price.
Since then he wonders the world, trying to spread the word of the ancient Aztec gods, but the world has changed, and no one seems prone to accept what a brain in a walking jar says. So faithful to his teachings, Xokzatle will show with the example, and try making the world a better place.

Relique du Madde

Adventurer
Looks good Voda Vosa.

Walking Dad,

Is it me or does it look like Steve Kenson purposely made ICONS be like M&M 3e lite but with some different mechanics, and alot of the complex d20 addons/baggage taken away?

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases