[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Audra watches the light show fascinated until the two images come up from the second card. She's no doubt that she is one of them. however she lowers her eyebrows in concentration, looking at the second figure. Her eyebrows go up as a realization is made and instinctively her hand moves toward the card. It stops a moment, hovering in the air when the figures poof from the card. The fingers shake for a second before she re-aims the reach to grab her mug by the handle. She lifts this to her lips and takes a sip, composing herself again before setting the mug to the table again.

"These things that you describe. They carry with them the ring of truth. Yet they also carry other sounds as well. Is there nothing further you can tell of my b....the man? Part of me doesn't wish to know what your cards will reveal next, but another part of me wants to know."

She turns her gaze away from the Gnome and his cards for a moment, blinking her eyes clear of what might have been tears. She takes a short breath and lets it out slowly.

"Megan is it? Good to make your acquaintance. My name is Audra. Audra Frost. As for walking the Silver Road, it does sound like it could be most interesting. Perhaps a better term would be...an adventure. I've no idea how much longer this reading will last, but I just might take you up on that offer. You are, of course, welcome to watch. Perhaps our Gnome friend will reveal something for you as well."

Talking to Megan seems to have calmed her a little, the emotion of the last card having passed. She returns her focus the strange Gnome.

"Let us see your next card. Perhaps it might provide some form of guidance."

sunshadow21

Explorer
"You would be meeting Adolfo at the Broken Log; it is only an hour or so outside of town. The road up to Tritower is a mostly settled region with small farms, private noble estates, and portions of wilderness interspersed. The main threats tend to be wild animals, strange unnatural beasts, and the occasionally angry fey. Otherwise, the patrol between Venza and Tritower keeps most humanoid threats under control, and since most traffic is local and the road effectively ends in Tritower, there isn't currently much for bandits, though occasionally some flee up it in hopes of escaping capture after acts on the main trade route." As he mentions the last part, Mr. Savi's facial expression changes briefly, flashing a mix of pain and anger before returning to the normal, calm expression he has had the duration of the interview.

Qik

First Post
"These things that you describe. They carry with them the ring of truth. Yet they also carry other sounds as well. Is there nothing further you can tell of my b....the man? Part of me doesn't wish to know what your cards will reveal next, but another part of me wants to know."

"What you ask for is possible,
butdangerous: the cards give of themselves willingly, but only to the extent they please. They often growangry when one asks more of them; I do not wish to push the cards at this time." Although the gnome seems adamant at first, he sees the clear look of disappointment in Audra's face. Shifting in his seat a bit, visibly uncomfortable, he seems to reconsider. Pursing his lips, he thinks for a moment, then two, clearly wrestling with his options. Finally, he relents his own argument, letting out an exaggerated sigh.

Reaching out with his left hand, he beckons Audra to lean in towards him. In his upraised right hand, there is a brief flicker of arcanic light, which coalesces into the shape of a dagger. At Audra's slight hesitation at the dagger's appearance, he grows impatient, and beckons emphatically for her to lean in. As she concedes, he lightly grasps a tuft of her rust-colored hair. Raising the force dagger to it, he looks her in the eye, his multi-faceted gaze penetrating her with an intensity that makes even this strong-willed woman slightly uncomfortable. With the blade poised just above the hair, he says with surprising gravity, "I have given my own energy as a concession to the cards. Will you willingly give a piece of your being as well?"

Last edited:

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Audra holds the Gnome's gaze, as much to convey to him her feeling on the matter as being lost again in the tumbling colors. She steels herself as he raises the dagger hear her head. She considers a moment she might be misinterpreting the Gnome's intent. But when he pauses again, she again steels herself.

"If the cards are willing to give me the information I am looking for, then yes, I will give them a part of myself. For the answer to such a long burning question, it is but a small price to pay."

She closes her eyes and takes a deep breath, forcing herself to relax. Perhaps she reads the Gnomes intent correctly, and he simply requires a lock of her hair. If not...

Qik

First Post
Eyes closed, Audra feels a slight pressure as the Gnome pulls her hair taut, then a release. Opening her eyes, she sees him withdrawing his hand with a lock of her hair (somewhat more than she would have liked, to be honest), the energetic knife gone. The gnome reaches with his free hand into the folds of his robe, and pulls out a small, well-traveled copper bowl, which he places onto the table between Audra and the cards. He again returns to the folds of his cloths, and this time his hand withdraws with a small leather pouch. Loosening the cords which seal the top, he tips it slightly, causing a portion of its contents (a fine, pinkish powder) to spill into the bowl. Returning the pouch to its carrying place, he takes her lock of hair between his hands, holds it close to his face, and, closing his eyes, begins whispering in a language that neither woman comprehends. From within his hands, a spark appears, igniting the hair. Opening his eyes, he places the lit hair into the bowl on the table, and returns his hands to the cards. A perfumey fragrance wafts up from the bowl.

The Gnome begins to shuffle the cards again. "Newquestion, neworder," he explains. As his hands work their magic, he whistles distractedly to himself, as if the action is self-guiding.

Finishing his work, he returns the cards to their spot on the table and prepares to overturn the top card. Looking up to catch Audra's gaze once more, he issues a word of caution: "Remember - the cards showwhattheywill; noless, nomore." With that, he overturns the card.

The central image of the card is a solitary figure. As the three watch, the image once again emerges from the card's surface; as the figure's features come into better focus, it's clear that he is the same man from the previous card.

"Ahh....The Fool. The Wanderer. The Man Alone."

The image itself is in motion, with the lone figure walking towards an unknown destination. The perspective zooms out, until the man is merely a dot within a vast and empty landscape.

"This man has defined his life as one alone. He was met with some of the same trials that I referred to in your first card, but whereas you were able to bring these circumstances into harmony, in part through the intervention of others, this man has seen no intervention. He has lived his life alone; he has failed to bring life's parts into accordance with each other."

As the Gnome grows silent once again, the image projected from the card unravels, swirls, and reforms first into a house, then into an entire village. A series of further images follow in quick succession, many more than you can grasp: a forest, a great river, and a swamp are among the ones you make out. The last image settles on a great gathering of civilization. Though it holds for only a moment, its identity is unmistakable: the City of Glass, Venza. This image too is short lived, and like the vision provided by the last card, it blinks and disappears without warning. Simultaneous with this, the burning tuft of Audra's hair issues a great spark, and is gone.

The Gnome leans back, clearly exhausted. Looking at Audra with tired eyes, he asks, "Yougetwhatyouwant?"

Last edited:

Caim

First Post
A slinder but athletic figure walks through the landside door of the Dunn Wright Inn. Her black hair is messy and all about her hair, a mixture of braids and knots. Her skin is tanned and scared from days of running on the plains of E'n. She wears only furs and bits of clothing. Her only armor is a heavy wooden shield she carries on her back. Several weapons hang from her various belts, the most apparent a scimitar. She makes her way to the bar.

"I'll take a stew and some water." the young woman orders in a low tone as she looks over the area. A few moments later Marla brings her a stew and a mug of ale.

"Sorry miss we don't sale water here, but your first ale is on me." Marla sets the glass down and settles next to the young woman, just to her right. "Where ya from miss? First time in Venza."

The young woman chokes down a bit of stew before answering. "My name is Naria and it is work that would bring me here today." Naria pauses for a moment. "Well the hope of finding work actually. My coin runs a little low these days." She quickly finishes her stew before looking to Marla to ask her own question. "I know its not truely part of your job, but would you know of anyone that would need a skilled fighter?"

Marla glances around the room as if looking for someone. "There was someone in her just a few oments ago asking to hire some folks, but I don't see..." Marla's words trail off for a moment. "Give me a few miss Naria and I'll help ya out." Naria quickly thinks her as she walks off. Proably to make her rounds around the Inn.

Last edited:

sunshadow21

Explorer
After double checking the help wanted board, Marla returns to Naria, and directs her to a back room where a prospective employer is currently holding a group interview.

Caim

First Post
After hearing that the Savi Brothers are holding a meeting in the back room, Naria pays for her food and drink and departs for the meeting.

"Mr. Savi?" Naria asks as she makes her way to the table where the meeting is being held. "My name is Naria and as I understand it you are in need of hirelings." Naria takes a seat in the first open chair. "I am in need of a job and I am willing to take on yours, if you'll have me."

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases