[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

jkason

First Post
[sblock=Geography] But if you want someplace closer you could use the Orino River that empties into the bay that holds Venza. [/sblock]

[sblock=geography continued]Part of my problem is that I'm horrible at translating map scales to real time, etc. In general, though, having Martna be more remote from Venza is probably a good thing, given the 'insidious cult' element of the adventure. And I already changed at least one encounter to better fit the Ouhm, so we'll stick with it. The Orino might be a way to get to the Ouhm, though, so thanks for telling me about it. I hadn't been able to find the names of any other rivers other than the Ouhm before[/sblock]

Commander Parsons tenses visibly as the cacophonous 'singing' echoes into the Inn. He does his best not to look at Daylily, but the barbarian notices him anyway.

After a moment, he gives up and lurches inside. When he sees the white-cloaked captain, he does a visible double-take, before launching into a loud, mocking monologue in Elven.

Parsons rolls his eyes. To the folk gathered at his table he says, "Pardon me just a moment." He turns his attention back to Daylily.

[sblock=Elven]No, I'm quite full on what the city pays me, and I'd hate to intrude on the rat dinner; Finia tells me eating your own is considered a feast for your people, so it looks like you're all set there.[/sblock]

He stands then, turning to the four he'd been dealing with, and returns to speaking common.

"I think we've settled ourselves here, yes?" he says with a raise of his eyebrows. "I have travel to arranage, and word to send to Inar, and you seemed to feel you needed time to shop for the trip, yes? Meet me out at the docks tomorrow morning, and I'll get you on your way."

He bows his head slightly as he leaves, doing his best to avoid coming too close to the elven barbarian. The sound of his horse galloping off at best speed suggests he's rather excited to be parting the Inn.

OOC: I'll have the new IC thread up momentarily. I'll put a mention for each of the four players. Even if you're still shopping, if you could throw in an OOC 'checking in' post at the least so I know you found it, I'd be appreciative.

Edit: Adventure Thread

Last edited:

Systole

First Post
Daylily blinks at Parsons' response, but he's too inebriated to even recognize the insult.

[sblock=Elven]Aye, it's damn right well that these wee scrappies are mine own, and I'm tae eat 'em now, as is mine right! As a hunter![/sblock]

He caps off this witty rejoinder with a long, odorous, and lengthy belch. Then he stumbles toward the fireplace, blundering into several tables along the way. At one of them, he knocks over a tankard full of chewed frog bones. An appalled look spreads across his face.

"Is this what? Who is leaves behind these best part?" he bellows in disbelief. Turning to the rest of the room, he looks accusingly at the other patrons. When no one meets his gaze, he disgustedly snorts, "City peoples."

Daylily picks up the tankard and dumps a goodly portion of the contents into his mouth. Crunching self-righteously on a mouthful of bones, he makes his way to the fire, oblivious to Parsons' hasty exit.

GlassEye

Adventurer
Elenka exits

Elenka stands as the Commander makes his exit.

"Good day, Commander. Tomorrow morning, then."

She turns to Yoshiki, Anna, and Quioan and makes a slight bow of farewell.

"Excuse me, please. With our long journey beginning tomorrow I find I suddenly have much to finish. I am sure that we will have plenty of time to become acquainted and discuss our manner of carrying out this job during the journey. Until the morrow."

She quirks an eyebrow at the antics of the boisterous elf that has recently entered the Dunn Wright, sighs quietly in resigned acceptance of the wildness that regularly occurs in the common room here and then elegantly makes her way up the stairs to her private room where she'll begin packing her trunk for the upcoming journey.

[sblock=Geography]
Unless travel is a feature of this adventure, and I suspect it isn't, then the travel times are really irrelevant and can be vaguely covered in a short sentence or two.[/sblock]

Scott DeWar

Prof. Emeritus-Supernatural Events/Countermeasure
From outside the inn comes a truly horrific wailing sound, as if someone was hammering a selection of cats to death. As it approaches the inn, some of the noise begins to sounds Elvish ... sort of.
As Vincenzo heads for the door, he jumps with a start at the assault of racatious dyne from outside, appalled at the butchering of the fine song of the Elvin language.

"Who?...What?..."

The door bursts open to reveal what seems to be a short, dirty, sooty, heavily scarred elf ... or possibly a tall, dirty, sooty, heavily scarred goblin.

Vincenzo's eyes move from Quioan to the filthy elf, then as the old man enters over to him. The soot covered trio capture his attention untill .. .. .. ..

Temarel starts looking panicky and wills himself not to dive under the table. "Merciful gods I've never heard my mother tongue butchered so brutally. I weep for the poets of my people."

"Yes, let us depart before our minds are twisted into mush like this demonic rambling crazy man." He follows the others out the door before the accusation about 'leaving the best part of the froglegs being left behind' is spoken.

**shuffle shuffle shuffle**

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
As soon as the terrible screeching noise subsides, traffic at the door gets back to normal, the flow of bodies in and out. A tallish half elf enters in the middle of a press of humans, who look and smell like sailors. When the sailors make their raucous way to one side of the bar, the half-elf approaches a clearer spot and awaits his turn to order. Soon he has his mug, hands over his coin and turns to make a curious sweep about the place. His eyes light on a Gnome female, Dwarven male and a Human female seated at one of the long tables against the wall, engaged in what appears to be some unfamiliar game of chance. He crosses the bar, mug in hand, headed for this trio. As he walks the head of a hammer pokes up behind his head from a shaft on his back, beneath a backpack and a small but functional pair of leather quivers. A dagger protrudes from his belt at his left hip, his left hand wrapped in what appear to be leather straps from mid forearm up to the knuckles, leaving the fingers and half of the palm uncovered. He stops at the table and the Gnome woman looks up to him and smiles.

Care to watch? Maybe join?

He takes a sip from his mug and settles on the bench next to her. On her other side sits the dwarf, loading three oddly marked rocks into a cup. The Human female sits on the other side of the Dwarf, a small pile of copper coins sits before her, divided into two stacks.

I'd like to watch for a few minutes if you don't mind. I've never seen this game before.

The Gnome giggles, wrapping her arm around his.

Bet I could show you all sorts of games you've never seen before.

The half-elf tilts his head and listens intently as the Gnome begins to describe the game to him. Either not getting the innuendo or doing an excellent job of ignoring it.

Qik

First Post
The door to the Dunn Wright is thrown open, and in stomps a gnome, dressed in a surplus of colorful, over-sized clothing; to all, the gnome appears as though he's a being on a mission. At the bar, Grog sighs and mutters something about the lack of normal folks about these parts.

The gnome first makes his way over to the table where the old man lies half-sleeping, half-passed out. Shaking him unceremoniously on the shoulder, the gnome says, "Come, come - we don't have time for your laziness. We must get a move on."

Without waiting for a response, he makes his way over to the soot-covered elf munching frog bones by the fire, where he bows to him humbly, and then speaks in his native tongue.[sblock=Elven]"Oh great warrior, I have come to you to make a humble request - that you may aid me in the retrieval of that which assists my spirit-talking. Will you join the others I have gathered, and help the light prevail?"[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC] @jbear and @Systole , this is your recruitment. Being a seer, the gnome knew you would be hear, which explains his somewhat presumptive behavior. Adventure thread is here.[/sblock]

jbear

First Post
Relic lurches to his feet with a burp.

"Yesssir!"

He stands swaying on his staff until the gnome leaves. As he staggers out the door behind him he mumbles to Daylilly:

"D'ya haf summin te zober m'yup habit?"

As the door closes he can be heard to say:

"Were we goan hanyway?"

Artur Hawkwing

First Post
Over at the long table the Half-Elf and Gnome are still discussing the game as the Dwarf makes a show of cupping his hand over the mouth of the leather cup and shaking it in a good many directions, the Human having counted out three coppers from the stack on her right. The Dwarf looks at her.

Yer as cheap as ye are tall! Give 'em a run! I'll bet ye seven!

The woman smiles at the Dwarf and proceeds to count four more coins from the stack to her right and seven from the stack to the left, then speaks.

You talk a great game, Melatoff. Let's see you back it up with that well known Dwarfish luck.

The Dwarf pulls the cup back behind his head for one last round of furious shaking. The Gnome explains...

You see, Marcus, may I call you Marcus? You see, Marcus. Not only are they betting on which rune will come up, but in what order the rune will fall. If the mark of the sunburst comes up on the middle stone, left to right, then Mela wins her seven coppers. Anywhere else she wins his coppers. If it isn't rolled at all the coppers carry over to the next round.

Marcus, as that seems to be his name nods, his hand rubbing his chin.

How is the rune chosen?

The Gnome answers as the Dwarf brings his arms forward and releases his hand from the cup, sending the three rocks dancing across the table, one of them going as far as to end up in front of Marcus.

First is a roll to determine the rune. If more than one of a rune shows, it's the rune for the next roll. If not, then the person on the rollers right picks the rune.

Marcus nods and just raises his mug as one stone clatters up next to him, with a carving that looks odd to him.

Is that a chicken?

The Dwarf snaps his head around and leans over in front of the Gnome to eye that stone.

Move yer elbows Margalin! By my Grandpa's beard it's an Eagle!

Marcus considers the rune as the Human woman walks around to his other side.

Why so it is. And it's left most stone. Now, if you just have the sunburst as your middle stone, you win double my bet from me.

This is added for Marcus' benefit as she pats his shoulder and walks around to eye the 2nd stone which almost rolled off the table across from the Gnome.

Nope. Tiger paw.

The Dwarf groans and approaches the third stone with a lean to the other side, past the piles of coppers.

Hmm. Looks like it carries over. Sloth. Dinnae forget yer seven extra coppers.

The trio begin resetting for another round, the Human woman this time taking the cup and stones. Marcus leans back and sips from his mug and looks around, spying the brightly colored Gnome, he pauses mid sip and then lowers his mug, smiling a little. He turns back to the trio.

I assume all three stones are marked the same?

Margalin nods as the Human woman rolls her stones....

Last edited:

Qik

First Post
Quioan Scorchsong, Level 2 Wizard/Ranger

"Until tomorrow, Elenka," responds Quioan. Reaching to finish his wine, Quioan's eye lingers for a moment on his drunken compatriots Relic and Daylily, and he seems to decide against more alcohol. Rising, he says to the others, "I also have some preparations to make before our departure, so I shall bid you farewell until tomorrow morning." Nodding, he takes his leave.

Systole

First Post
[sblock=Elven]"Oh great warrior, I have come to you to make a humble request - that you may aid me in the retrieval of that which assists my spirit-talking. Will you join the others I have gathered, and help the light prevail?"[/sblock]

Daylily leaps to his feet and stares down at the gnome, blinking at him in drunken incomprehension. Eventually, a couple of brain cells bang together with enough of a running start to form a semi-coherent thought.

[sblock=Elven]"Aye, Great Elder of Clan Shar. I hear ye and go tae the duty called of me, as would any given son of Falshenaya."[/sblock]

He lurches toward the door, after Relic. Outside the inn, he stops. Against all odds, a second thought bubbles to the surface. As the door closes, he says, "Oye ... Elder Storyteller ... where is we go?"

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases