[Tavern Thread] The Dunn Wright Inn

jkason

First Post
Eanos Setirav, human inquisitor

Eanos smiles, clearly relaxed when he has a name to go with his new acquaintance.

"Likewise," he says. He jabs a thumb in the direction of the bar. "I'm going to see about getting something to wash down the road dust. Anything for you?"

fggs02

First Post
Fester looks up from his empty bowl as Eanos gestures the bar and says

"A young flower requires water.......nothing more. Even a rambling weed couldn't do any better. What say you Eanos? Will you poison your body with foul unnatural toxins? Or will you take heed to the wisdom of the flowers?"

DalkonCledwin

First Post
Veniarus listens to the man spouting philosophical nonsense and then says "Ah, but truly there is nothing unnatural about a good alcoholic beverage when the substance itself comes from naturally grown plants and herbs that have been fermented. The only way you could argue that Alcoholic beverages are unnatural is by virtue of humanoid intervention being intrinsic to the process of fermentation. Even then it could be stated that humanoids themselves are part of nature and thus anything they do cannot truly be unnatural." Veniarus then smiles at his own argument waiting to see how the man counters his logic.

fggs02

First Post
Fester smiles politely at his unlearned colleague. He unfoldshis hands and runs them through his dirty, itchy, oily hair. A cloud of dust disperses and settles over it. A twig falls out of it and onto the floor.

"Nature is not without it's toxins. Just because alcohol can be manipulated from it, that does not mean it prudent to poison our bodies and minds. I for one want to meet death head on and with full joy of all that follows. I would not cheapen such an event by allowing years of toxins to build up in my body. We must all preserve ourselves for that final fateful moment.

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"Ah, but if one drinks alcohol in moderation, then they really have nothing to fear. It is only those people who drink themselves into a stupor every single day of their lives that truly have to worry about dying from alcohol poisoning. Those on the other hand who drink one glass of a mild drink on a rare occasion have nothing to fear." Veniarus explains.

OOC: Actually there is speculation in real life regarding a type of wine called Red Wine that indicates that it may actually be healthy for a person if taken in a strict disciplined amount instead of in unhealthy quantities. I believe it is the French who tend to utilize this feature of Red Wine the most by drinking a cup of the substance each day. But I could be mistaken.

Also one has to consider the fact that in medieval societies, often times the ground water would have been polluted due to having mixed with the waste products of humans among other things. Thus often times the only safe thing to drink would have been one of various alcoholic beverages due to the fact that Alcoholic beverages are by nature completely sterilized.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post

Eanos watches the philosophical exchange briefly before he chooses to enter into it.

"If we could trust humanoids to follow their instincts, I suppose we could assume all their actions are natural," Eanos offers to Veniarus, but then he frowns as he continues. "But sentience comes with the unique ability to work counter to one's nature, even counter to one's own self-interest. I've seen far too much suffering arise out of those tendencies to blithely embrace them as 'just natural.'"

Eanos' features relax again as leans on the bar to address the man next to him.

"While I can't argue with the relilience of the plant world, I imagine if I modeled my life after it, I'd not even be here," he says. "For good or ill, I've feet, not roots, and if I don't explore what there is in the world, I suspect I'll do no more to better the place than a single bloom. I should hope my lady Issolatha has more in store for me than a pleasant scent and some pretty color, yes...?" he trails off at the end , looking for a name to finish with.

fggs02

First Post
"Fester climbs to his feet so that he may be face to face with Eanos. You overstep your assumptions sir. The study of nature and the wisdom that arises from it comes from examining "ALL" walks of nature and extracting the bits of wisdom wherever it lies. I would be a fool to ask a man to model all aspects of a plant.....surely, just a bit buffonery?..."

True wisdom comes in knowing when to follow nature and when to oppose it. There truly is no place for too much of either extreme. When such a conditon exists, I goto work. If you are wise, you will too sir.

"The name is Fester....what name will the undertaker chisel upon your gravestone?"

DalkonCledwin

First Post
"You um... are aware good philosopher of nature, that even the Sidhe, Nobles of the Fey-born, the Paragons of Nature, Partake of Alcoholic Beverages from time to time are you not?" Veniarus says with a peculiar look in his eyes.

OOC: not sure if I am remembering my D&D 2nd Edition Complete Book of Elves correctly, but I believe that Elves fermented a type of alcoholic beverage straight from Honey that they called something like "Honeydew" or the like. This alcoholic beverage had such a kick to it that it was able to knock out someone who wasn't accustomed to it for a few days. Even if that person was a dwarf. In fact I think said beverage was referenced in one of the Dragonlance novels.

Last edited:

jkason

First Post

Eanos smiles and extends his hand.

"Well met, Fester. As to the gravestone, I rather hope it's a long way off, but when my master found me wandering the forest as a child, he named me Eanos, which is as good a marker as any."

To both men , he adds, "I suspect neither of you is especially interested in changing your own mind so much as championing your own position, Veniarus, so it seems to me you're both best off calling it an even match and returning to your corners, as it were."

Remove ads