Thieves World

Crothian

First Post
Okay, enough of this converting other peoples's stuff. Time to get to the fun stuff, the stuff that came out on my Thieves World games. Tommorrow I'm going to type up my notes on The Pit

Waylander

The Slayer
I think what you've done here is excellent - my only comment is that I always saw Niko as a Monk - albeit with different special abilities. It seemed to fit the quasi-religious/philosophical order he belongs to and yet takes into account his martial skills.

Crothian

First Post
Waylander said:
I think what you've done here is excellent - my only comment is that I always saw Niko as a Monk - albeit with different special abilities. It seemed to fit the quasi-religious/philosophical order he belongs to and yet takes into account his martial skills.

I hadn't thought about it that way. However, after just reading Tempus I'd have to agree that he is a Monk more then anything. Well, maybe a Monk Fighter multi class. Thanks. :)

Crothian

First Post
Feats

I know, there are too many feats as is, but these all can only be taken at first level. They aren't meant to be powerful, they are meant to further develope characters.

Downwinder
+1 all Fort Saves, +2 save verse Disease, Starvation, and Thirst

Bazaar Merchant
+2 Bluff, +2 Diplomancy

Street Urchin
+2 Pickpocket, +2 Proffesion Beggar

Fisherman
+2 Proffesion Fishing, +2 Use Rope

Second Story Man
+2 Climb, +2 Balance

Gaurd
+2 Spot, +2 Sense Motive

Merc Trained
+2 Diplomancy, +2 Sense Motive

Mageguild Trained
+2 Concentration, +2 Spllcraft

Maat
Not sure yet

Waylander

The Slayer
I don't want to labour the point (sorry for raising this again!) but I wouldn't make Maat a feat. Instead I'd weave it into an alternative to the Monk core class.

Also, as an aside, I'd be interested in your opinion on the alignment of Tempus. It does depend on what you read and I've heard many different alignments claimed (particularly chaotic as he is an avatar of the storm gods) but as a whole I've always seen him as lawful neutral. By "lawful" I mean he has his own person code of ethics which he rigidly adheres to as opposed to upholding the prevailing law of the kingdom he happens to be in! In a nutshell, he's harsh but fair (from a certain point of view)!

Crothian

First Post
Waylander said:
I don't want to labour the point (sorry for raising this again!) but I wouldn't make Maat a feat. Instead I'd weave it into an alternative to the Monk core class.

Harp on a point as much as you want, you're not going to bother me. With the Maat ability I'm exploring ways of doing it. I think having it as a feat for only certain characters (those with training in whatever that land is called). That way it might be possible to have wizards or more traditional fighters have this ability. Everything posted here is a work in progress, so nothing is set in stone. If you have a better way or different way of doing anything I've posted here, please say so.

Also, as an aside, I'd be interested in your opinion on the alignment of Tempus. It does depend on what you read and I've heard many different alignments claimed (particularly chaotic as he is an avatar of the storm gods) but as a whole I've always seen him as lawful neutral. By "lawful" I mean he has his own person code of ethics which he rigidly adheres to as opposed to upholding the prevailing law of the kingdom he happens to be in! In a nutshell, he's harsh but fair (from a certain point of view)!

Well, according to the conversation of him in Personalities of Sanctuary he is Neutral Evil. However, I see him more of a Lawful Evil, but he is all over the place. I think he's a little to eager to kill people for LN, personally. He does seem to have his own code, though.

Waylander

The Slayer
originally posted by Crothian
Well, according to the conversation of him in Personalities of Sanctuary he is Neutral Evil. However, I see him more of a Lawful Evil, but he is all over the place. I think he's a little to eager to kill people for LN, personally. He does seem to have his own code, though.

I agree. I think it's a tough call between LN and LE. I favour LN because he does a lot of "good" acts. His eagerness to kill could be seen as a "rough justice".

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Waylander said:

I agree. I think it's a tough call between LN and LE. I favour LN because he does a lot of "good" acts. His eagerness to kill could be seen as a "rough justice".

Well, there is also all those rapes. He is cursed to have to do that, but I'm not sure if the reason out weighs the action. He's a character not easily defined in the alignment scheme. I think I'll call him Lawful Neutral Evil :D

Crothian

First Post
The Pit

In the hidden recesses of the Maze is a place only slightly less known then the Vulgar Unicorn. The Pit is a place of surprising safety to come and bet on fights and enjoy a cup of cat’s piss with others. The Pit has been in the Maze for over ten years. It is the creation of Hardrid, one of the toughest characters to ever wash up on the shores of Sanctuary. The Pit is a place anyone can come to fight or to watch and bet on the fights. It has become an organized way for new combatants to make a name for themselves and eventually rise to the price fights and make some real money.

The Pit is a two story building and rather non-descript from the outside. It’s open four evenings out of seven (Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, and Saturday). Everyone is aware of the Pit, but not as many brave the Maze to go there. Many would be robbers hang out in the alley ways to the Pit in hope of getting some of the people as they go there and come back. So, many of the people travel in packs and safety in numbers is usually successful.

At the door are two large bouncers. Everyone who is here to watch the fights must pay a copper piece to get in, more for special events. Fighters get in free and are taken to the basement to wait their turn. The Patrons are shown upstairs to the standing room they have to look down and watch the fight. All the fights happen in the basement. One can look from the second floor all the way down. On the first floor are the box seats where the high rollers are. Only people who own a box seat or are invited by them can be on this level. There are waitresses that take orders and collect bets as well as specific places to get drinks and place bets on both levels.

Crime of any kind is not allowed. Any one caught stealing, pick pocketing, harassing the waitresses too much etc. face the only punishment the Pit has. The guilty person is stripped of all possessions and tossed into the pit to fight in an impromptu special event. See below for more details. Most of the times the person tossed in here is left alive and abandoned some place in the Maze. That person is never again allowed to come back into the Pit. If they do sneak in and are caught, they are killed in the Pit.

Anyone is allowed to come and fight at the pit. Mostly it’s thugs and fishermen trying to earn an extra copper or two, but mercenaries and guards are not uncommon. All Pit fights are hand-to-hand: no armor, no shields. The winner is the one standing at the end, but occasionally one of the fighters gives up. There are no ties. While the fights are violent, deaths are rare. Fighters are paid a copper for fighting and a silver for winning. They can also bet on themselves with the same limits as below in the betting section. Anyone who throws a fight or looks like they are throwing the fight probably won’t live through the night. Hardrid has a reputation for honest fights and he makes sure that reputation stays clean.

The first round of fights is called the Scrub Matches. These are fights between the walk-ins, so anyone can fight here. The number depends on how many appear that night. Some nights, like the Wednesday or Thursday these are the only fights going on. Fighter receive a copper piece for fighting, a silver piece for winning, and a look at by the Pit Physician, Damien to help out some of the damage. One has to win 5 Scrub Matches in a row to get to the next round. A person can only fight in one Scrub Match a night, unless Hardrid gives special permission.

Then there are the House Fighters. These are more serious fights these fighters are all very skilled. There are usually about fourteen different House Fighters in employment at a time. Once someone wins five Scrub fights in a row, they now can fight a house fighter. They get paid a silver piece for fighting and a gold piece for winning until they win three fights. After that they get paid a gold for fighting, and a platinum for winning. One has to win five of these fights to get to the next level, however they don’t have to be in a row. They can loose up to two fights, after loosing the third they have to go back and fight Scrub fights to get back to this level. These fights are usually fought on the weekends.

A person who gets through the House Fighters then earns the right to challenge the ranked Fighters or to participate in a special event. There are Five Ranked Fighters, all of them professional fighters. All of these fights are special events and are scheduled weeks ahead of time. One gets at least 50 gold pieces to fight and a few hundred gold if they win the fight. If the challenger wins he becomes the number Five Fighter. He can always challenge the number Four Fighter or participate in special events. He can also be challenged by anyone who gets through the House Fighters.

Special Events are rare but occur when a well-known fighter comes into town on a ship or a caravan and wishes to fight. Also, many of the rich people have their own sponsored fighter that they will have fight a challenger. Payment for fighting and winning varies in all these instances. It is usually at least 25 gold to fight and a percentage of the winnings.

The betting is done before the fight begins but after the fighters are announced. Most bets are even odds, only in a severe miss match will different odds be taken. People on the second floor can bet up to a silver piece on the Scrub Fights and up to five silver pieces on the House fights. Special fights have even higher limits. Fighters are allowed to bet up to twice that, but only on themselves. People in the luxury boxes have been known to bet small fortunes on fights.

The rules are very simple: No crime, no cheating, and no magic. People who commit crimes are forced to fight in the Pit. People who throw fights or cheat are usually killed. No one knows if any magic has been tried, but it is rumored Hardrid has a contract with the Mageguild to protect against magic.

The special events are rare and varied. If someone is caught stealing and thrown into the Pit one of two types of special events happens. Either a house fighter or ranked fight goes into the pit and people bet how long the criminal will last. Or a bunch of Scrubs Fighters are let into the ring and people bet on who will be the one to KO the criminal. Other special events involve fighters brought in from other areas of the city or from elsewhere in the world.

Endur

First Post
Niko Monk

I have to agree that I thought of Niko as being some sort of Monk type character. Or perhaps Maat is similar to Ki.

Tom

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases