Thieves World

Crothian

First Post
Also, just finished reading a great e-book that will be very helpful for anyone running a d20 Thieve World game. Everyone Else defines all the shop keepers, sailors, fishermen, guards, etc that you will ever need. I think I may get more use out of it then the PHB. :D

Crothian

First Post
Mr Fidgit said:
does it cover demon bartenders and revenant bar-owners?

Well, not exactly since everyting is written as human for default. But it's really easy to switch races on stat blocks as long as you have a racial write up for said demon and revenant.

Crothian

First Post
Adventuring in Sanctuary

So, how does one do this? The group is assembled and frankly, they are just hoping to make it through the day with their purse, and the night with their life. There are a few things that can be done depending on the level of action and interaction the group enjoys. To allow for the chance of prosperity I like to set them up with a daily routine. All characters should have a way to make some money be it begging, a day laborer, an actual job, performing, or theft. So, unless the PCs have specific things to do or the DM has specific encounters planned for that day, I have all the PCs make some skill rolls and tell them what they earned. Not everything they earn is money. People can also earn food or equipment depending on what the character is doing.

Then the interesting stuff happens in the night. Now, don’t do that every night. You have to allow the characters to have some time when nothing happens otherwise it the unusually becomes mundane. In the night the characters might go to the Pit to fight or gamble. Head up to the Street of Red Lanterns to enjoy themselves in many ways, or even plan a heist or some other nightly job. This allows the players to slowly build a little bit of a power base as they increase their wealth and can get some useful equipment. What they get and what they do will really depend on the group.

First, there are the DM planned encounters that can turn into an adventure. This can include the group being framed for a crime or just being in the wrong place at the wrong time and being chased through the streets at night. With a good map and defined light sources this can be a very odd and even scary experience. Or the group can be paid in an object that turns out to be magical. It might have been stolen or lost from the Mageguild or some other powerful person. Does the person know where it is or if it’s gone? Will the group return it hoping for a reward (and possible loosing a pinky finger), will they try to sell it, or will they just go over to the ocean and toss it in. The DM can also have planned encounters with specific NPCs from the books. This is always difficult to do especially for the well known ones like Hanse and Tempest. Characters will probably already have a good idea who these people are and be very cautious about any such meeting. Another possibility is to allow the character to witness an event or series of events to see how the players react. They can ignore the item, remember and sell the info or try to blackmail the people involved, or even try to help anyone involved. If the players do help people and play the good guys allow them to succeed and reward them in some way for their actions. It would be really easy to have every good action be punished in Sanctuary.

I also encourage the players to get some group goals. These can be as simple as getting enough money to move into the Westside and eventually open a tavern to planning the eventual fall of Jubal. They can also try to get a boat and become pirates, or become valued members of the Mageguild, or even get in good with the Rankan rulers. Then once the goals and motives are established I let them decide the best way to get there. As DM I’ll offer advice that if they request it or seem to be going off on some impossible idea, even for sanctuary. From there’s allowing them to attempt do do what they want to do. Earning money and making contacts and staying alive are probably the biggest parts of the game. There are many interesting people of Sanctuary, so finding the right person to help can really get the players a few steps closer to their ultimate goal. At the same time, meeting the wrong person can set them back drastically.

Now, there are ways to have more traditional adventures. One can have the PCs go through the tunnels and the sewers meeting all sorts of no good people and critters. They can go explore a haunted noble house or other place that has supernatural occurrences. This can deal with an act of the gods or a one of the wizards. Of course, the reason for it might never be known and only adds to the mystery. Then there are the areas around Sanctuary like the Swamp and the Desert. They can also travel by ship and encounter who knows what out there. There’s scavenger’s Island to the south, which can offer all sorts of adventure. However, it’s best to only let the PCs leave Sanctuary when they’ve earned it. One of the themes in Thieves World is people want to leave the city, but are unable to.

Crothian

First Post
Some topics I plan on covering in no particuliar order:

More information on the Sewers and Tunnels

The different gods and their worship

Using the NPCs from the books

How to leave Sanctuary and places to go

Changing the timeline to help make it fit with what the DM and players want, as well as using the timeline for adventures.

Some alternate rules that should help set the tone of Sanctuary

The Pirates and Scavengers Island.

Last edited:

Khorod

First Post
Minor point...
I only know about Carronne from the main books, which say its got philosophy, tech, anti-mysticism, and drugs.

Its also got a somewhat foolish but charismatic bard who spends much time in Sanctuary.

So, aside from that one character, what's the basis for those stats? I mean, by whats-his-name's own admission, he's not all that great a citizen of Caronne.

Keep up the great work. I think its awesome. Make's me wonder if I might be able to drop a Sanctuary clone in my world.

-Khorod

Crothian

First Post
A lot of this is guess work. There are some novels about said Bard that may go into more detail, but I don't have them. The same applies for many of the races and other things that I"m doing. So, if you have a better suggestion, I'm more then willing to listen. ;)

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases