Which character sheet do you use?

drnuncheon

Explorer
I kind of got to thinking, after looking at the character sheet in the back of the new Dragon - OK, it's pretty, but it looks darn useless as an actual character sheet. Then I thought about all the character sheets I've seen that are designed for people who apparently have micrometer-level precision writing, because they give you a whole 5mm to write your skill ranks in.

Then I compared them with the old 'green sheets' from Basic D&D - plenty of room to write, easy to find everything. Sure, there was less to keep track of, but there's got to be something better out there for 3e...

So I got to wondering...

What character sheets do you guys use? What's the best one out there? What makes it great? Or is everybody just going back to notebook paper like we always used to do back in 8th grade?

Links are much appreciated.

J

Crothian

First Post
I use the one my DM hands me. I think they are of his own creation, so no link to give. But seriously, I'd be happy with a sheet of blank paper and a pencil. Those were the days of real gamers, we didn't have these fancy character sheets that were all orgained and helpful. ;)

Wikidogre

First Post
Crothian said:
I use the one my DM hands me. I think they are of his own creation, so no link to give. But seriously, I'd be happy with a sheet of blank paper and a pencil. Those were the days of real gamers, we didn't have these fancy character sheets that were all orgained and helpful. ;)

*Hell yeah! back to the days of graph paper, pen and pencil!!! wait a minute....i still do that!

Thorntangle

First Post
This is where all the luddites pipe in with "Pencil and paper!".

I understand the mechanics, I have a computer, so I'm going to use a nice, neat, autocalculating sheet. At the moment I like Steve's (Alt-print format). Excel spreadsheet based, comprehensive, editable. Little bit of a learning curve, but worth it I think. But then again, I'm a technophile.

http://home.wi.rr.com/dndsheet/

mikebr99

Explorer
Thorntangle said:
This is where all the luddites pipe in with "Pencil and paper!".

I understand the mechanics, I have a computer, so I'm going to use a nice, neat, autocalculating sheet. At the moment I like Steve's (Alt-print format). Excel spreadsheet based, comprehensive, editable. Little bit of a learning curve, but worth it I think. But then again, I'm a technophile.

http://home.wi.rr.com/dndsheet/
I'll second this very strongly!!

Excel-lent use of a program... no pun intended. Tell all your friends, and get them to donate, so we can see an updated version.

mkletch

First Post
My answer was not as simple as I expected. I use Mad Irishman's PDF form for my characters, but I find it easiest to to NPCs (when DMing) on a simple piece of notebook paper. I guess a completely different thought process needs different tools.

-Fletch!

Brown Jenkin

First Post
My personal favorites are the ROG sheets from PCgen. Plus I let the program crunch the numbers and I don't have to worry about reading my writing.

Gunslinger

First Post
I like using the huge Green Ronin character packets. The only problem with those it that it takes forever to fill everything out, and you get pissed if you die.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases