Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

rb780nm

First Post
A strange insectoid creature standing on its two rear limbs enters the tavern. Stranger still, it is wearing clothing - just a simple loin cloth and few bandoleers, strung with bags and pouches. It carries a crude stone tipped spear in it's upper pair of arms and in the slightly smaller pair of arms below that, it has a sling and a handful of stones. Its face is dominated by two features: Large, sharp mandibles surrounding a small mouth and pair of giant, amber eyes. The eyes hold your attention for a moment, as you see yourself reflected back a thousand thousand times from the many facets.
The mandibles clack and a series of high pitched click and whistles emerge from the thing's face. Then, astoundingly, it switches to rudimentary common "In speech of my people, that is my name. In your tongue, it means, roughly, 'Sound of a stone striking hot metal to make a blade, of the three-twelves and seventh clutch of the red granite' - That too long for your people, so I called Sound of Stone here."

He raises his oddly pitched, whistling, voice "I seek the rest of my clutch, We were separated near here several fourhands ago. Have you seen anyone like me? I was told this is where those who journey far and see strange things might be found"

Last edited:

Fyrm

First Post
"I'm Bones, nice to meet you." The young rogue offers a hand to the golden-haired elf, as he takes a pull from his ale. "That's quite a talent for disguise. I've had only a little practice at the art myself--but only in the most crude and mundane forms. All the same, it's a good trick to have in one's bag. I've come from the continent, seeking treasures of the old Allarian Empire. I've heard tales that great stores of the treasury were hidden below ground on these islands."

my name's Mercurial. the elf says as he accepts the man's handshake. and thanks, but my master says that i can never hold a single form long enough to fool anyone. how can you people stand to stay in one form anyway, its so boring.

A strange insectoid creature standing on its two rear limbs enters the tavern. Stranger still, it is wearing clothing - just a simple loin cloth and few bandoleers, strung with bags and pouches. It carries a crude stone tipped spear in it's upper pair of arms and in the slightly smaller pair of arms below that, it has a sling and a handful of stones. Its face is dominated by two features: Large, sharp mandibles surrounding a small mouth and pair of giant, amber eyes. The eyes hold your attention for a moment, as you see yourself reflected back a thousand thousand times from the many facets.

now that's a cool form. the elf body is instantly replaced with one similar to the creature that just walked in.

He raises his oddly pitched, whistling, voice "I seek the rest of my clutch, We were separated near here several fourhands ago. Have you seen anyone like me? I was told this is where those who journey far and see strange things might be found"

oh. maybe i should not confuse him. and the form is quickly replaced with that of a Minotaur's

rb780nm

First Post
As much as such an alien visage can be said to brighten, Sound of Stone's face brightens for a moment, then falls as he realizes the deception. He is almost angry for another second, and then he realizes the intent was not malicious and he relaxes. His antennae perk in his people's equivalent of a smile and his mandibles clatter in what may be his form of laughter.

"It is good to see my like, even if it is illusionary."

FourMonos

First Post
"Bones! Welcome back! Hope you had a good rest."

He slowly takes in all the new people in the room.

"Gil, my friend, class is already in session. I'll let you in on a little secret. Here, among these people, it is always in session. Every moment is one to learn," indicating Sound of Stone. "Every moment you will be pushed to your limits. And if you don't meet every challenge with your best effort... you may die."

Artemis grins... big.

"Now, all we need is that next challenge to test ourselves."

Fyrm

First Post
A large grin appears on the Minotaur's face, a rather out of place look for such a monsterous creature. If I happen to see any of your people, I'll be happy to mention you to them. Also, what is it your kind calls itself? I do not remember seeing anything like you in my master's books.
At hearing Artemis's words, Mercurial's face lights up. And it is those adventures that challenge you such that are the most fun, or at least that's what my master always tells me.

Fyrm

First Post
my name is Mercurial. Nice to meet you. The hulking Minotaur replies, then begins to shrink and change. My master's books said I was a Changeling, but she never really talked much about it. The body stabalizes into that of a fiery haired Dwarf.

CaBaNa

First Post
Gil's features light up, Always LEARNING! A short exclamation bursts from the young scholars lips, Brilliant! Of course immersion would be the best learning method for such difficult course work. After cantrips most any class had a good chance of killing or maiming, always worth the risk in my opinion. Ideas began running away with themselves, and pretty soon Gil was lost in thought, taking the whole scene in.

What an odd sort of place, some of these people don't look as if they even have enough wealth to pay for such high level academics. Must have been on scholarship like me... That still doesn't explain the kreen, or any of these other more beastly races, hmm... I'm so prejudice, of course the beastlier races have highly intelligent members... Even higher learning can't rid me of the Imperial prejudice against everything not eladrin. This will be a great learning experience! Gils thoughts continue to overwhelm him.

Last edited:

Otakkun

Explorer
At Gil's question, Ian simply nods instead of giving an answer. It was a good question actually, getting power could be taken as much more than just muscle strength or weapon skills.

It seems that coming here wasn't a mistake after all.

Just as he was about to answer the question two very strange beings enter the tavern, quckly making him forget what he was going to say.

A changeling and a ... kreen? What sort of strange creatures where in here?

Someone

Adventurer
A short and robed (hu)man enters the tavern. Middle aged, looks older than he is because he's starting to lose his hair. He twists nervously his short beard and looks around, shocked by the menagerie of creatures that gather here.

"Hi... Er, greetings all. All of you. I.. huh, I'm Domenicos. I'm looking for my friend Thogorius - he told me he'd be here. You don' happend to have seen him, do you? It's been a while and I'm starting to worry."

[sblock=ooc:]This is the hook for a very short vignette set in Daunton for 5 level 1 PCs; it should be over in 5 or 6 weeks. If you want to be recruited for it, just show some interest on helping Domenicos.[/sblock]

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases