Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

renau1g

First Post
A pair of dock labourers pass by the odd-looking tree outside the tavern, stopping momentarily to comment on it's unusal location and appearance before continuing their conversation.

"Didja hear the latest in tha Screamer? They say that Kythira just up and vanished, some new island is in its place. I think it's gotta be dark magic" the younger man says

The elder replies "No, it ain't nothing' but rubbish. I ain't read that rag in years, full of lies and propaganda it is. Makin' them mercenary types seem like heroes. Bah! It ain't much good e'cept fer wipin' yer arse."

"My cousin twice removed on my mother's side is a half-orc, tragic story that, but he sails with them Bacarte merchants and he sent us a note. It was the same thing. I'm tellin' ya, it's true" the youth retorts.

That is all that's heard on the outside, as the duo enter the bar, grab a table well away from the oddities that gather in this place.

If anyone looks over at the copy of the Screamer, they're reminded of the recent article.

http://www.enworld.org/forum/5210643-post40.html

Last edited:

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The tree's limbs twitch, dislodging a tire swing that falls to the ground and rolls down the street. Ponderously its crown of twisted branches swings around to follow the two entering the tavern. Knots that until now have been sealed shut open up in its bark, revealing deeply sunken eyes. He stands still for a moment, swaying slightly in the breeze, awake now but pondering.

Ironheart shudders as if stretching and disentangles his roots from the concrete. A limb reaches out and grasps a long poleaxe that leans against the wall of the building. Over the past few weeks, drunks and mercenaries leaving the tavern have learned not to try to touch that axe, but now the tree reclaims it.

He moves forward to stand in the Hanged Man's doorway. He peers all around it, examining the cut and shaped wood carefully. He peers through it at the dimly lit scene within - more remains of trees, propping up mugs of beer and mortal backsides. At last, grimacing in distaste, he steps through the doorway and enters the tavern.

"I am Ironheart," he booms, "Defender of the forest. Is it true? The Living Isle is... gone?"

Aperion

First Post
Aperion is glad he stuck around, he's looks up in awe at the tree-thing-man named Ironheart. This news about an Island disappearing is unsettling and interesting at the same time...

the truthseeker

First Post
Missing and new? Interesting...

Zaemar cocks an eyebrow in surprise. Geography of this size...disappearing seems uncommon, even for this location. He wonders what he can do to investigate.

OOC: Now my new computer's working...new to the LW4 scene. How does joining games work? (And the character has been approved.)

JoeNotCharles

First Post
[sblock=the truthseeker]
Somebody will post a character coming into the tavern with an obvious hook for an adventure - like a farmer who runs in and screams, "Kobolds have taken my baby! Who will help to get it back!" Then we negotiate in OOC blocks which of the available characters can join that adventure, based on their level, how long they've been waiting, etc, and the people who are chosen post their characters responding IC.

In this case Ironheart's joining an existing game for higher-level chars, Kingmaker, to replace somebody who dropped out.
[/sblock]

"This must be investigated. Such destruction leaves all nature weakened," rumbles Ironheart. "But I dare not risk the Feywild again. How do you city dwellers travel from island to island?"

the truthseeker

First Post
[sblock=the truthseeker]
Somebody will post a character coming into the tavern with an obvious hook for an adventure - like a farmer who runs in and screams, "Kobolds have taken my baby! Who will help to get it back!" Then we negotiate in OOC blocks which of the available characters can join that adventure, based on their level, how long they've been waiting, etc, and the people who are chosen post their characters responding IC.

In this case Ironheart's joining an existing game for higher-level chars, Kingmaker, to replace somebody who dropped out.
[/sblock]

"This must be investigated. Such destruction leaves all nature weakened," rumbles Ironheart. "But I dare not risk the Feywild again. How do you city dwellers travel from island to island?"

OOC: Thank you. I got the latter, but couldn't remember the former, for new adventurers, how obvious it was here. Glad to see "very" is the answer.

JoeNotCharles

First Post
The bartender mutters something about the docks, and ships. Ironheart considers.

"A ship?" he mutters. "I have heard of these. They are also made of shaped and treated trees, aren't they?" A huge sigh wracks his frame. "I will learn to deal with it." He turns to leave, and then suddenly stops and faces the bar. There is a cracking sound as a seam in his trunk pops open. Ironheart reaches a small branch into the gap and withdraws a small leather sack. He tips a small pile of coins onto the bar. "This is the custom, I believe?" he rumbles. "Thank you."

As the bartender gathers up the coins, Ironheart shoulders his axe and marches out of the tavern, heading for the docks.

[sblock=OOC]Might as well move this along myself instead of waiting for renau1g to post the bartender's obvious response.

[MENTION=54810]renau1g[/MENTION]: I'll skip over the mechanics of actually hiring a ship and post to the Kingmaker thread tomorrow with my ship arriving offshore and letting me off in a boat. (I figure sailors still won't want to approach the new land.) You can decide where to go from there.[/sblock]

Dekana

Explorer

The seneshal hears Fredrock's beckoning and, with a sigh, moves over to their table. "I am afraid, friend dwarf, that the tale is not mine to tell. I am here for my master. He needs an item retrieved and would prefer that the tale not be spread in a place such as this. You must understand how the noble few view the fragility of their standing. It is possible that his enemies have ears in this very establishment.”

He eyes up the occupants of the table, “I know little of his needs, but will answer what I can. I am not entirely sure how these things begin.”

Toeto puts her elbow on the table and rests her head on her palm, either deeply interested or intensely bored. "Can you take us to your master, then? If you don't know the task - " She immediately stutters on those words. "T-that is, n-not that you don't k-know it." She hopes that didn't sound like an insult? He's not ignorant after all.

twilsemail

First Post
"Of course I..." he bites off his curt response and continues, "will assist you in speaking with my master. It is unfortunate that I did not bring the large carriage. I am afraid I do not have the means of transporting you all. Are you amenable to the idea of my returning to the house of my master and sending a means of your celeritous transport?"

OOC: I am working on the first posts for the adventure while trying to read Rerisen Tower... I'm also pretending to work. The initial post should be up this afternoon or early tomorrow morning (US EST) if that works for everyone.

Remove ads