House rule or core rule?

hammymchamham

First Post
A friend from my tuesday night game mentioned something, and I am having problems find it in the PHB or the DMG (which he said was in the DMG but anyway). Basically what he said was that in hand to hand combat, after 10 round plus constitution modifier, a fortitude save must be made. I can't find anything like this, so if it is in the PHB or DMG please provide a page number. Otherwise... is this some houserule?

dvvega

Explorer
Definately not a core rule ... the only fatigue rules in the core rules that I know of are

armour section, PHB, about sleeping in armour

exposure to the elements in the DMG

Oni

First Post
Well it might make Endurance a little more useful, but I don't recall ever seeing anything like that in any of the core books.

dead_radish

Explorer
The gladiator has an ability similar to this (exhaust opponent), but this is definately not a core rule.

In essence, that's saying that no one can fight for more than a couple minutes (10 rounds == 1 minute) without having to make fort saves. That seems a bit silly....

dcollins

Explorer
The friend in question may likely have a confused recollection of the run action. From the SRD:

A character can run for a number of rounds equal to the character's Constitution score, but after that, the character must succeed at a Constitution check (DC 10) to continue running. The character must check again each round in which the character continues to run, and the DC of this check increases by 1 for each check a character has made. When a character fails this check, the character must stop running.

There is no such rule for combat in general, however.

Byrons_Ghost

First Post
Speaking of the gladiator's exhaust opponent ability, I'm curious as to how people handle this. The text mentions that the damage is 1d4 subdual and the DC goes up each round. Now, this could mean two things:

1. The damage is only applied once, and the DC just keeps going up until the gladiator's opponent fails the save.

2. The damage is applied each time the gladiator's opponent fails a save.

The first one is the way we've been running it, but strikes me as a bit weak. The second one seems more in line with what the ability was meant to represent, but seems a bit powerful.

How have other people been handling things?

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases