My Nentir Vale

ZephyrTR

First Post
Here's a hex map I just finished of the Nentir Vale, introduced in the 4th Ed DMG 1. I get its been done before but I was dissatisfied with others' versions for a few reasons, particularly the scaling and how a lot of them don't fit on play mats.

This map, however, is designed with a Chessex Megamat in mind, so it fits square for square perfectly one one of those (53 x 32 tiles, true columns).

Also, it's scaled so each hex has a radius of 2 miles, so approximately 1 hour's travel on foot. Each sixth of a hex is a little over 1 square mile in size, a full hex being a little under 7 square miles, I think.

The map is player friendly. As the DM it should be plain to see where the 'hidden' things are like the Keep on the Shadowfell, and Thunderspire.

I'm slowly trying to populate all the hexes with encounters, questgivers, RP opportunities, all that stuff. I'll share that later on when its more developed.

Map made with Hexographer. Tiles by Kevin Chenevert of RedKobold.com. Text and some color tweaking done in Photoshop.

Attachments

• The Nentir Vale Finished.jpg
    The Nentir Vale Finished.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5,022
Last edited:

brunswick

First Post
Nice work there.

If I could be picky, the town in the Cairngorm Peaks is called "Winterhaven", not "Wintervale"....but that's a minor point - good stuff!! :)

Great looking map! Hexographer is a neat little product that I get occasionally tempted to use. I own CC3, but the learning curve is incredibly steep and I'm just not sure I want to spend the time it takes to learn it.

Seeing this makes me wonder how many people have made an effort to put the Nentir Vale, or some variation on it into their own campaign worlds. I found it to be a perfect little frontier province to plop into a crumbling empire in my on-hiatus game.

redkobold

Explorer
I created those map icons for Hexographer. It is great to see them being used. They were designed so that if yo increase the scale they will "tesselate" or meet and match up at the boundary of each hex so that you get a seamless element like continuous trees or hills that flow across the hex into the next hill. Try setting the scale of each icon to between 110% to 115%.

I designed it to make maps that looked like they were inked with a brush and colored with watercolor paint. The icon set is called Calligraphy
Here is a sample of what it should/can look like.
http://www.redkobold.com/zenphoto/albums/hexographer/calligraphyexample.jpgwww/redkobold.com/zenphoto/albums/hexographer/calligraphyexample.jpg

calligraphyexample.jpg

For any interested, you can get or preview the icons in the Hexographer forum at

Hexographer Hex Map Software: Home

or from my site

red kobold

in the gallery album Hexographer

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases