Pathfinder 1E Pathfinder Advanced Player's Guide Preview

BryonD

Hero
Disappointed and hoping that the power lurch is an outlier, but not very optimistic that my recent arguments against concerns over power creep will withstand reality...

:(

Well

At least it wasn't the Wizard that got the huge bonus. Maybe he's trying to address perceived imbalances between classes. If Monks , Bards, and Barbarians also get something better than what Paladins, Clerics, and Wizards get, it wouldn't be too bad.

Ken

BryonD

Hero
At least it wasn't the Wizard that got the huge bonus. Maybe he's trying to address perceived imbalances between classes. If Monks , Bards, and Barbarians also get something better than what Paladins, Clerics, and Wizards get, it wouldn't be too bad.

Ken
If he would say that, I'd disagree that it was appropriate, but I'd be much relieved to hear that explanation.

As it is he is saying it makes no difference in power. So it isn't an adjustment in his eyes. I'm hoping he didn't use that same 4 foot yardstick for the rest of the book. :(

Well

It's a big increase in power, that's for sure. A sorcerer played from lvl 4 to 14 getting 10 new spells known or 10hp? That's a no brainer. Make one of those spells be false life and you aren't even down the HP.

I might actually prefer sorcerers to wizards with this change.

Ken

Last edited:

BryonD

Hero
Crap, I had not even thought of false life.

People are saying that individual hit points are worth more than spells and also that low level spells are completely worthless to high level casters. I agree with neither point.

But if you assume a L2 spell is "worthless" to a given sorcerer, then burning one to get 10 hp is awesome. And you can alwys burn another to get more hp. And if it gets dispelled, even better because a worthless spell has absorbed the dispel, protecting a higher level spell.

Excellent call.

level bonuses

One way to beef up the weaker martial classes would be to let them add a +1 unnamed bonus to one of their saves at each level, in lieu of a HP or skill point. A fighter with +10 to his will save would be able to cover his major weakness.

If I were going down the road of expanding class choices in this fashion, I'd focus on the martial types (well, primarily the Barbarian and Fighter); IMO spellcasters are already good enough.

Ken

By the way

I'm of the opinion that a lot of the people who argue about class balance on the Paizo boards are players, not GMs, advocating for their favorite class. I certainly can't think of any DMs who would argue that a spell known is equal to a HP for a sorcerer.

Ken

BryonD

Hero
I agree.

Sometimes you get this "half think it is too strong, half too weak, therefore it must be just fine" argument.
Which sounds nice until you realize that half aren't nearly so interested in balance as they are in convincing everyone that their uberchar is a reflection of their personal merit. sigh

To be honest I am not seeing the big deal. You can get a extra spell known a level behind the highest you can cast which is a level behind the wizard. An extra 2nd level spell at 6th level isn't something as a GM I even worry about to be honest. A wizard base spells known without counting any thing else at 6th level are 20/5/4/4
the human sorc could have 8/6/3/1

Just not seeing an issue here

Remove ads