D&D 4th Edition [Adventrue] Lord Ogglebottoms Odd Tasks II: The Mysterious Imlach Island - Page 3




What's on your mind?

+ Log in or register to post
Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 505
  1. #21
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)



    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    579

    Ignore RedBeardJim
    Gellan glowers at Lord Ogglebottom. "I do not like being deceived by those I work for. I understand you have reasons, but it does not sit well."

    Looking at the new arrival, he adds, "And who is he?"

 

  • #22
    the peaceful
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Neurotic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,062

    Ignore Neurotic
    Martelai offers slight bow again
    "I am Martelai Luinil, astrologer and researcher of arcane misteries. You may have read my treatise on..." he then pauses and looks over the group again "...and then again, maybe you didn't. I am here at bequest of Lord Ogglebottom to aid you in your task."

  • #23
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    DMDanW's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    933

    Ignore DMDanW
    Quote Originally Posted by RedBeardJim View Post
    Gellan glowers at Lord Ogglebottom. "I do not like being deceived by those I work for. I understand you have reasons, but it does not sit well."

    Looking at the new arrival, he adds, "And who is he?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Neurotic View Post
    Martelai offers slight bow again
    "I am Martelai Luinil, astrologer and researcher of arcane mysteries. You may have read my treatise on..." he then pauses and looks over the group again "...and then again, maybe you didn't. I am here at bequest of Lord Ogglebottom to aid you in your task."
    Lord Ogglebottom and Jyles look at each other with a slight look of disbelief at Gellans comment and the demeanor behind it. Lord Ogglebottom holds out his hands palms up in a non-threatening manner. "My intent was not to deceive any of you, but to simply throw off any others who may have followed you. The fact I did not tell you was simply an omission of a small detail in the grander scheme of things." He looks over and gestures to Martelai. "At the request of Jyles, Martelai will accompany you and aid in protecting Leonard. We both believe that his talents that will complement that of the others."

    "Lord Oggelbottom Sir" Jezabelee calls out, "I the portal is now ready. I will activate on your mark."

    "Wonderful" replies Lord Ogglebottom before turning back and stepping over to Leonard. "Alright son, you are going to go with these men and they will ward off any further attempts to abduct or harm you. I am sending you to go visit your Uncle Thom, and you will be safer there than here in Daunton."

    At the mention of 'Uncle Thom' Leonards eyes light up and the his brooding teenager now seems to be bubbling with excitement. "Really? It's been years since I last visited there. Did Uncle Thom say if we'd get to go out sailing again?".

    "Well I was not able to contact him yet so he is not expecting you, but I am sure you will enjoy your time there", he smiles to see his son excited and messes his hair up and gives him a pat on the shoulder.

    He then turns to the group. "Although I do not fully understand the mystical workings behind it, this large portal here can connect other smaller portals throughout the islands and even some of the far off lands. As you see this device here is the main reason my family has been so prosperous, as it is much easier to transport goods this way rather than by sea travel."

    He quickly notices a few worried looks, especially on the faces of the two shifters. "Do not worry, the portal is perfectly safe" and he looks down at Leonard. "If it were not do you think I would be sending my son through it?" he asks, hoping that that simple fact would ease any concerns there may be.

    "Now, you will be traveling to my brothers estate. He lives on the small Island of Imlach, which is off the western coast of the Island of Opposition. It is relatively unknown but has the most wonderful fishing reef and is home to a small fishing community. You should be safe there and I am sure the biggest threat will be that of boredom. I will send Leonidas to get you once I have found out who is behind this mess and it is safe for Leonard to return".

    He turns to Jezabelle and nods. Given the signal she activates a series of runes on the podium and the large ring begins to hum with power. One by one runes begin to light up. As the seventh symbol begins to glow the energy field reappears. Excitedly Leonard leads the way and is the first through the portal, the rest of you trailing behind, with the exception of the warforged Leonidas who stays beside Lord Ogglebottom.

    Once again there is the feeling of slight resistance as you enter the field and then a sudden rush as you accelerate to a blinding speed, which seems to last a little longer this time than the last, before slowing down and exiting once again through the other side.

    You come out into a room similar to the one you left, except that this portal is not anywhere near the size of the last one, perhaps only as large as a big set of double doors. The racks and shelves here are not nearly as packed as the ones at the Emporium, and these seems to contain a mix of fresh and smoked fish, as the smell of the room makes quite clear. There are a couple of workers in the room, apparently stunned in their tracks to see the armed squad of men emerge from the portal.

    "Uncle Thom" Leonard calls out, and then runs over to one of the workers. "Where is my Uncle Thom"? he asks and not waiting for a response rushes further into the building. He almost gets through the door before slamming into a stout barrel chested dwarf. The dwarf looks down at the lad and a large slims appears on his face. "Ack, is dat yeoou Leonard. Eets beeen ah doogs age seence Yev'e been 'ere last. Whaacch yee dooing 'ere anyways" he asks in one of the thickest and almost undecipherable accents any of you have heard in a long time.

    "I'm here on a bit of a vacation" Leonard replies. "Where is Uncle Thom? I can't wait to see him."

    "Ack Yer Uncle 'as.., well..'es not 'ere right nooww" the dwarf replies seeming a little lost for words. "Et's beest ef I takes ye and yer, umm, friends 'ere ta see da toown eldars to axplain things."

    Leonards eyes go wide at the news and looks extremely worried.

    OOC


    Just an FYI I am heading out on a bit of a vacation tonight and will be away from a computer for a few days. Will be back by Saturday or Sunday and ready for much more come Monday.

    I just wanted to get you guys on your way and moving along and thought this might be a nice place to break the long cut scene I have you in. Feel free to converse with each other and question NPC's as you see fit and I'll answer as soon as I can.

    Also if you have not already please update your character wiki's and submit them for approval. I know that the judges are really backlogged so the sooner you can get them in the better.

  • #24
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Velmont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    14,813

    Ignore Velmont
    My communities:

    "Sorry, dwarf, but I don't think it would be wise to see someone else before we are aware of what happening. Lord Ogglebottom asks us to escort him to his uncle. He is here to stay out of trouble and stay out of sight. Bringing him before a council of elder is the best way to spread the word he is here.

    The people who is searching him could be aware of this place. I suggest you explain now where is Leonard's uncle and when he will be coming back, then we will be able to make a clear decision about your suggestion."
    tells Gloom.
    Characters
    Jarel-karn - Genasi Swordmage 12 [L4W]
    Gloom - Longtooth Shifter Paladin 11 [L4W]
    Eloan - Eladrin Warlord 7 [L4W]
    River - Longtooth Shifter Cleric 11 [LEB]
    Malehan - Elf Avenger 8 [LEB]
    Valeria - Human Witch 1

    "Experience is that great thing that allow you to see a mistake when you do it again."

  • #25
    the peaceful
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Neurotic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,062

    Ignore Neurotic
    As the boy bolts away stern half-elf calls after him in commanding tone just as he collided with the dwarf
    "Leonard, stop!"

    Listening to Gloom, Martelai nods.
    "We're here to see master Thom. First and foremost. If something happened to him, fill us quickly in, we can talk to elders a bit later."

    Then as he helps Leonard on his feet, in much quieter voice
    "You need to take this seriously, boy. Somebody wants to harm you outhere. No going out on your own and no rushing into the unknown. You're no longer small child that cannot control himself, but a man."

  • #26
    Registered User
    Acolyte (Lvl 2)

    Banesfinger's Avatar

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Posts
    176

    Ignore Banesfinger
    As he emerges out of the teleport device, Thorn looks like he's going to be sick to his stomach, bending over deeply. His nose wrinkles and flares at the smell of the salted fish - which doesn't seem to help his stomach.

    The shifter leans heavily on his longspear, snarling, obviously unhappy with his situation: teleporting, baby sitting duty, and now a missing contact.

    Thorn growls, to no one in particular, "If he (the dwarf) can't tell us where Thom is, perhaps he could direct us to more private location..."

    While Thorn's eyes fall upon the stunned workers in the room, indicating the need for more secrecy, it's easy to tell by the speed he wretched out his last sentence that's he's eager to get out of this fishy smelling room.

  • #27
    Registered User
    Novice (Lvl 1)

    Tomalak's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    500

    Ignore Tomalak
    My communities:

    OOC
    I'm ready to go. Sorry for the delay.

    I missed the redirect post about the new thread. Having been distracted lately, I hadn't realized the new thread started. Whoops. At least I wasn't needed.


    "The first and most important task is to get and remain out of sight. Friend of Leonard, can you direct us to a suitable place for him to stay, and in the meantime relate to us what has been occurring here? Our employer Leonard's father will be concerned as well, and it is important that we have all the information we can have, without, as my companion stated, making ourselves known more than is neccessary."
    Last edited by Tomalak; Wednesday, 14th July, 2010 at 11:57 PM.
    Andrec

    Last Updated: 05:28 am PST, 01-15-10
    Human Warlord (Bravura) Character Sheet
    Initiative: +6 P Perception: 12 P Insight: 12
    HP: 32/32(Not Bloodied) Surgevalue: 8 Surges/Day: 7/7
    AC: 19 Fort: 17 Ref: 15 Will: 14
    +1 AC while not bloodied.

    Action Points: 1
    Speed: 6
    BasicAttack: - Sword +9 vs. AC; 1d8+5 damage
    BasicRangedAttack: - Javelin +7 vs. AC; 1d6+4 damage (Range 5/10)
    powers
    Commander's Strike
    Opening Shove
    Brash Assault

    Inspiring Word (2)
    Aid the Injured
    Diabolic Stratagem
    Inspiring War Cry
    Battle Awareness
    Concentrated Attack



    Minharath

    Last Updated: 03:19 pm PST, 02-03-10
    Kalashtar Cleric (Juna) Character Sheet
    Initiative: +0 P Perception: 15 P Insight: 22
    HP: 25/25(Not Bloodied) Surgevalue: 6 Surges/Day: 8/8
    AC: 16 Fort: 11 Ref: 10 Will: 17

    Action Points: 0
    Speed: 5
    BasicAttack: - None
    powers
    Astral Seal
    Sacred Flame
    Bastion of Mental Clarity
    Healer's Mercy (Channel Divinity)
    Healing Word (2)
    Bane
    Beacon of Hope


  • #28
    Registered User
    Cutpurse (Lvl 5)

    DMDanW's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Winnipeg, Canada
    Posts
    933

    Ignore DMDanW
    Leonard remains speechless as his bodyguards bombard the dwarf with a barrage of questions. The dwarf simply holds up a hand and motions the PC's to follow "Come wit me den an ey'll fill ye in best I can".

    He exits out the doorway he was standing in and up a flight of stairs to a room with a large window that overlooks the warehouse and the magical portal.

    He makes his way around a large desk which is stacked high with papers and takes a seat. "Firrst ooff me name's Sedwick, an' I run da warrehouse 'ere for ol' Thom, as Leonard der can tell ya" he points to the boy who seems for a moment at a loss for words but nods his head in agreement.

    "Now 'm not suure whats gooin on wit ya all, but Leonard'll be safe 'ere not too worry. 'Dis 'ere island ain't 'xactly weell known an' without 'da portal can be difficult ta reach." He lean forward in his chair and places his elbows on the desk, arms crossed.

    "Now as fer Thom, well 'es gone off at da request o' da elders an' 'asn't returned yet. 'm not clear on all da details buut 'm sure ets got ta doo wit thooose durnned lizardfolk dat live in da swamps. Da elders can tell ye moore if that ain't ta yer likin."

    Leonard steps up and seems to have composed himself. "Sedwick if my uncle is in danger we cannot just sit idly by and do nothing". He turns to face the group, and looks directly at Minharath. "We need to speak with the village elders and find out exactly what is going on. I am certain that my Father would want to know if his brother was in some sort of danger, a danger that could perhaps extend to me as well" he adds with a strong emphasis on the word father.

  • #29
    Registered User
    Enchanter (Lvl 12)

    Velmont's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    Posts
    14,813

    Ignore Velmont
    My communities:

    Gloom stares at Leonard. "Your father is ready to hire us and take advantage of his portal network to prevent some abductor to take you from him, but he wouldn't mind to have you go after some lizardfolks and risk your life to save your uncle... strange logic.

    If we stay here, it is easy to prepare ourselves to most type of assault those abductor could do... if they show up, which is unlikely if no one is aware you are here.

    Now, you want to go out, make sure everyone here have a chance to learn you are here, then go into hostile and unknown territory, against an unknown number of enemy of unknown power and risk all our lives to save a single life. That's reckless and foolish and you must have a dire need to die. And we are not even paid for that kind of job.

    That's sounds like a job just fitting me!"


    He then asks to Sedwick. "What do you know about those lizardfolks? Form their number and strength to their culture and territory."
    Characters
    Jarel-karn - Genasi Swordmage 12 [L4W]
    Gloom - Longtooth Shifter Paladin 11 [L4W]
    Eloan - Eladrin Warlord 7 [L4W]
    River - Longtooth Shifter Cleric 11 [LEB]
    Malehan - Elf Avenger 8 [LEB]
    Valeria - Human Witch 1

    "Experience is that great thing that allow you to see a mistake when you do it again."

  • #30
    the peaceful
    Defender (Lvl 8)

    Neurotic's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Posts
    5,062

    Ignore Neurotic
    Martelai speaks to the Leonard as youth get too excited about going out of safety.
    "WE need to go and speak with the elders. Sedwick can introduce us as agents sent to help Lord's brother. YOU, on the other hand are STAYING hidden and safe. I don't think we are to protect you in the middle of the swamp."

    Turning to the dwarf
    "And Lord Ogglebottom should be informed about our departure if that happens so he sends at least Leonidas as additional support here."

    Then, as he considers something, he gets a bit more excited. As he questions Sedwick he fingers something that looks like the leg of huge bug on his belt.

    "Was there problems with lizards before? Or did it start suddenly? I mean, did they change their behavior recently? With individuals running amok or behaving all docile like without normal reactions to stimuli."

  • + Log in or register to post
    Page 3 of 51 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

    Similar Threads

    1. Skills and Tasks
      By Morrus in forum Mongoose Traveller SRD
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Saturday, 20th July, 2013, 06:26 PM
    2. Replies: 603
      Last Post: Saturday, 3rd July, 2010, 02:59 PM
    3. Mysterious Island
      By Shadowdancer in forum Miscellaneous Geek Talk & Media Lounge
      Replies: 9
      Last Post: Friday, 26th August, 2005, 06:30 PM
    4. Making monsters mysterious and terrifying: Belker, Lord of Mist!
      By Kaptain_Kantrip in forum Monster Homebrews
      Replies: 0
      Last Post: Saturday, 22nd June, 2002, 10:16 AM
    5. NPC XP for everyday tasks?
      By Finn E. Theodorsen in forum General RPG Discussion
      Replies: 2
      Last Post: Thursday, 11th April, 2002, 06:28 PM

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •